10/28/2009 3:15pm - Uplink Activity Report - 119 changes

I think that they are going to do full time RSNs on the 119/72.7 tmps. I could be wrong, but I think they are under a lot of pressure to go full time. Even if they went 7-8 full time RSNs it would eliminate many of the capacity issues with the shared RSNs.

All three HD shopping channels are currently on Cband and look great. It's just not what I'm interested in. But I'm sure some will appreciate a better view of the products they are buying.

what's the bitrate look like on the temp hd's? Flat?

Two of the five on transponder 31 at 61.5W were carrying something as of several hours ago. No idea what, but definitely something. The remaining three on there were "flat" and so was the one added to transponder 32 today. The ones added to transponder 3 on 72.7W today didn't have any audio or video streams in the mux yet. Can't check again right now though, so someone else might have more current information. :)

The channels on Transponder 3 at 72.7W are now in the stream and appear to have video, bit rates are changing. I had TSReader running earlier when they were not in the stream. I was hoping to see what they were, but they came up encrypted from the start.:(

I just checked out Epix HD website as I had never heard off it, and its gonna be awesome. Lets hope they carry it, also lets hope we get BBC America HD.

If you click on the spotbeam text to the right you'll see it's for Hawaii. Not sure why it was added though because I thought they already had that in the package.

The big thing I see is that they've mapped down VHI from 5575 to 162....I've been hoping they would do that for all of the AK/HI HD channels. The way they have them "organized" in the 5500s drives me nuts. Hopefully this is a test, and the rest will be mapped to where they belong soon.

Any idea what the bit rates look like on the Channels that were added to 119 a few weeks back?

At least we know the 72.7 TMP's that were added today have something on them & two of the 61.5. So don't we have about 12-13 TMP's up right now?

Thanks,

Josh

The following is quoted from a Reuter's article. Epix to launch on Friday light on distribution | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

"Greenberg declined to comment on which companies Epix was speaking with. However, sources with knowledge of the situation, who declined to be identified because talks were ongoing, have said Epix is in advanced discussions with EchoStar Corp's (SATS.O) Dish Network, which reaches more than 13 million satellite television households."

Any idea what the bit rates look like on the Channels that were added to 119 a few weeks back?

At least we know the 72.7 TMP's that were added today have something on them & two of the 61.5. So don't we have about 12-13 TMP's up right now?

Thanks,

Josh

It's a very weird constant pattern. Probably slates of some sort or a video loop?

Attachments

• 119_tp10.JPG
    119_tp10.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 181
With the conversion to 8PSK at 72.7 W with the Nimiq 5 satellite, how many MPEG-4 SD channels will Dish put on a single TP and shouldn't Dish be able to mix MPEG-4 SD with MPEG-4 HD to try to optimize bandwidth useage? What I mean by optimize bandwidth useage is that Dish could put 7 HD channels and a few SD channels on a TP instead of trying to crunch 8 HD channels per TP.

Well, one of them was supposed to be QVC months ago.

Just more rumor mill grist...there are a couple of HD feeds supposedly launching in November. Of course, Sundance won't happen, but History International is the other.

I would be happy if Dish would simply show all live games on the RSNs in HD. It's getting annoying to have to watch more than 50% of my regional teams in SD when an HD feed is available.

I would be happy if Dish would simply show all live games on the RSNs in HD. It's getting annoying to have to watch more than 50% of my regional teams in SD when an HD feed is available.
This because Charlie is a penny pinching fool that will not give the funds for these RSN to go live 24/7. bandwith should not be an issue, but here we go again we are dealing with Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!

Digiblur told me this a few weeks ago about new HD channel space...

That's a trick question...since you have to have the space on 110/119 to add it to 72.7.

But with that being said.... I posted a run down a while back but here's the raw numbers.

With them having only 16 transponders of the 32 they are currently running in 5/6 QPSK mode (30 megabit a TP) that's 480 megabits they currently have. They will transition to 8PSK 2/3 in a week or two. Those are typically around 40 megabits maybe a bit over. 40*16=640 megabits. 640-480=160 megabit gain. If they consolidate that's basically 4 free HD capable transponders. So if they run 7-8 HD's per TP that's about 30 HD channels.

But you have to remember what they add to EA has to be added to WA. They can't just add it to 129 either, since the folks that have 110/119/61.5 would be high and dry. They need to get something over to 61.5 to fire up the transponders that E3 and E12 can not physically use. I suspect they will add some HD local markets that are in bad need.

With the conversion to 8PSK at 72.7 W with the Nimiq 5 satellite, how many MPEG-4 SD channels will Dish put on a single TP and shouldn't Dish be able to mix MPEG-4 SD with MPEG-4 HD to try to optimize bandwidth useage? What I mean by optimize bandwidth useage is that Dish could put 7 HD channels and a few SD channels on a TP instead of trying to crunch 8 HD channels per TP.

Yep, nothing stopping them from mixing any channel types together. I remember seeing MPEG2 SD and MPEG4 HD together as a test one time, no point in doing that though at the time.

The only thing that stops them from mixing is the ability to mirror the TPs on the 2 arcs. It means different encoding and muxing for each arc until the WA goes all 8PSK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts