$10 charge for block buster?

jerryd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Central Wisconsin
If you subscribe to the hd platinum package isn't Block buster supposed to be included at no cost, or is there a package that it is included?

If you subscribe to the hd platinum package isn't Block buster supposed to be included at no cost, or is there a package that it is included?

DISH Platinum had its name changed to Blockbuster Movie Pass. They are one in the same. The only difference is that BBMP (formerly dish platinum) now includes 1 disc-by-mail at no additional cost

I also thought the BB Movie Pass was included in the HD for life, but found it is not. We tried Netflix with a free preview and like it much better than Block Buster. Several things I personally found against BB. First was the extreme long wait for any disc I put in my queue for mail. The additional rental fee for HD steaming or for many SD titles. And lastly, we do not have a Block Buster store that is convenient for disc exchange in person. Netflix works very well with the steaming devices I have in my home and for $8 a month a better value. The picture quality is very good and loads very fast with my broadband internet. So with that said, after I return the one disc I have here at home to BB, I am canceling the BB service with Dish.

I believe that if you previously subscribed to Dish Platinum, it does not automatically switch to the BBMP package. You have to log in at dish.com or ask a CSR to change it for you. (This is how it used to work, at least; it's possible this is no longer the case.)

I believe that if you previously subscribed to Dish Platinum, it does not automatically switch to the BBMP package. You have to log in at dish.com or ask a CSR to change it for you. (This is how it used to work, at least; it's possible this is no longer the case.)

All accounts that had the $10.00 DISH Platinum subscription prior to October 2011 were automatically changed to the BlockBuster Movie Pass but the account still need to be enrollled. Any account with Free DISH Platinum did NOT roll over.

I am on the old Plat HD which was $20 a month. I guess $10 of that is now filed under BB Pass. Can I cancel the pass and have that $10 a month removed, but still keep the Plat channels? Or will that roll me back to the lower tier HD stuff?

Thanks.

I am on the old Plat HD which was $20 a month. I guess $10 of that is now filed under BB Pass. Can I cancel the pass and have that $10 a month removed, but still keep the Plat channels? Or will that roll me back to the lower tier HD stuff?

Thanks.
DISH Platinum and HD Platinum before that were always $10.00 for the package. The Blockbuster By Mail Program was $9.99 a month. They have been combined and the streaming features to the reciever enhanced and online access as well th make up the Blockbuster Movie Pass. The program cannot be seperated but you can chose to not take advantage of certain parts of it.

Thanks.

In the old days, HD was $10 and Platinum an additional $10 month, to equal your $20. When HD went free, the remainder was Platinum's $10. Platinum and BB are now combined for the same $10....

The additional rental fee for HD steaming or for many SD titles.

former-Absolute customer, just lost my free (non-BB) Platinum and thought it was time to see what the BB part was all about.. can you clarify this part of your comments? ie. its not just $10/month, there may be additional fees?

thanks!

To watch new releases via your DVR there would be additional fee because new releases are VODs and are not part the Blockbuster Movie Pass. Pressing the * will filter the content to show all free titles.

To watch new releases via your DVR there would be additional fee because new releases are VODs and are not part the Blockbuster Movie Pass. Pressing the * will filter the content to show all free titles.

I guess that begs the question.. are non-VOD movies available on BBMP at an equivalent time to Netflix?

I guess that begs the question.. are non-VOD movies available on BBMP at an equivalent time to Netflix?
Movies via mail seem to vary per customer. Some can get stuff quick... I typically receive discs a day after I receive the "we sent you your disc" email. Others here have noted it takes a few days. Another problem is that BB doesn't ship on Saturday, so that means it is a little harder to get movies very quickly. The best is about two per week if you are strategic in shipping the movies back out.

However! BBMP includes Blu-ray rentals and Video Game rentals. Netflix doesn't do video games at all, and charges more for Blu-Ray discs. So that is a plus.

Conclusion? If you want video games, it is best to be patient and just take it as a bonus. If you want blu-rays, it isn't a bad deal, and you can get typically two discs in a week if you are strategic and the service is quick in your area. If it is DVDs, it'll depend on your area and how quick service is.

And then there is the other angle... BBMP comes with a boatload of channels, including Epix (1/2/3), Retro, Sony Movie Channel, etc...

Dollars to doughnuts, Netflix is probably the best DVD service. However, if you have patience, like Video Games or Blu-Ray, and like movies in general, BBMP is a great value.

Define "non-VOD".

BBMP streaming does NOT include new movie releases. It is an amalgam of programs that are currently showing on the Platinum HD channels.

If you pay $10 per month for the BBMP package, you get 16 movie channels and five or six non movie channels. Also, you get the one dvd at a time from Blockbuster. Plus there are thousands of movies and streaming tv programs that you can download to your tv or watch on your computer. All for $10 per month. Sooner or later, Dish will do away with this package like the did the Absolute package, since it is a good deal and Dish doesn't like you to get a good deal, remember the Absolute Package.

My bill shows dish platinum 12 month, do I need to change something with my account, or enroll to get a better price?

If you are receiving Free DISH Platinum you will not have access to Blockbuster Movie Pass. The promotion you are receiving is only for the 20 HD channels that were formerly in DISH Platinum. If you would like to have access to discs by mail and the other Movie Pass features, please send me a PM with your phone or account number. Thanks!

Please forgive my ignorance and inability to recall what the old "Dish Platinum" (the 10.00 variety) used to offer a subscriber? All I can recall is that it gave me access to several movie channels and maybe a few other things. I started seeing "Movie Pass" on my bill about four months ago, but never paid much attention to it as the 10.00 fee was the same as "Platinum". Tonight I looked at the description on the Dish site and I was rather surprised to see what it was and what I was paying for as I have no intention to use what it offers. I call a CSR and was told it was just a name change. My bad for not paying attention sooner. I consider it more than a name change. I cancelled "Movie Pass" but am out the 40.00 it has already cost me. I don't think Dish handled the change over fairly, but Caveat Emptor and shame on me. And no doubt they will rub salt in my wounds with a 5.00 charge for a program change.

Please forgive my ignorance and inability to recall what the old "Dish Platinum" (the 10.00 variety) used to offer a subscriber? All I can recall is that it gave me access to several movie channels and maybe a few other things. I started seeing "Movie Pass" on my bill about four months ago, but never paid much attention to it as the 10.00 fee was the same as "Platinum". Tonight I looked at the description on the Dish site and I was rather surprised to see what it was and what I was paying for as I have no intention to use what it offers. I call a CSR and was told it was just a name change. My bad for not paying attention sooner. I consider it more than a name change. I cancelled "Movie Pass" but am out the 40.00 it has already cost me. I don't think Dish handled the change over fairly, but Caveat Emptor and shame on me. And no doubt they will rub salt in my wounds with a 5.00 charge for a program change.

If you were already paying for the $10 Platinum package when it switched over to Movie Pass you kept what you had, but in addition you also got one free disc at a time by mail (if you elected to receive it) at no additional charge. They took nothing away and gave you something extra...sorry but I don't see what you'd have to complain about here. You got MORE than you were previously paying for at no additional charge. :facepalm

I agree. I really don't have anything concrete to gripe about with the exception that I somehow got left out of the loop when it came to advising me of what transpired with Movie Pass/Dish Platinum. It may have popped up somewhere in my system, but when someone gives me something for nothing I usually pay attention. Oh well. Win some lose some....
Had the CSR maybe even tried to explain it to me last night.........................

That is why you need to visit this site often. We at Satellite Guys US are the best informed Dish subscribers in the world. If you want to keep abreast of the latest changes at Dish, just check the forum daly to find out what is happening in the industry, not just at Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts