10 day wait for service

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Well the TWC internet went out. Did basic checks (unplug modem, etc) with the "tech"/glorified checklist reader. Have to send out a tech... 10 day wait!!!!

Talk about cutting back on service!! Needless to say I am not happy.

For the few times I've needed them, I've had next day service, next day service on Easter Sunday and same day service. Time Warner is bar none hands down the best when it comes to service calls. Took the idiots at Verizon a week to get our phone lines working again, and I don’t even want to think about the dopes from Dish and DirecTV that have been out here. It was a fun week back in the Winter of 2002 I think when we lost all even transponders on 119 and had to wait a week or so to get a tech out here.

How many other providers in your area are they competing against? Here they are alone (except for satellite). They do not have to worry, they know you will stay since they have the only thing faster than DSL.

Exactly none. I live essentially the middle of nowhere and should be lucky I can even get cable service but just happen to blessed with a powerhouse of digital entertainment that consists of 140 HD channels and 50Mb broadband. Not sure why you don’t want to count satellite TV as competition, but for TV there’s Dish Network and DirecTV, for phone and internet there’s Verizon and their craptastic DSL via remote terminals that maxes out at 3Mb. DSL just became available in my area a few years ago.

How’s this for service. When I upgraded to whole house DVR they originally brought out two Samsung DVRs, after a two days I called up and said I want to swap them out for Cisco DVRs as I don’t like Samsung. They said fine, could have had a tech out here the next day, but due to my work schedule I postponed it until a Saturday. The tech had two brand new Cisco boxes that just came from the factory and had no firmware on them. He plugged them in and hooked them up, one of the DVRs was not accepting the firmware for some reason. After an hour of trying he called a bunch of different people. Only solution was to bring out a new box. He called around and had a bunch of people looking for another Cisco multiroom DVR. Turns out after a while of searching they had one, at the main office, some 60-70 miles away. Another tech brought that box out to my house all the way from downtown Rochester which like I said is a decent haul, about an hour and a half or so ride. What was supposed to be a simple box swap turned out to be a 5 hour ordeal, but hey they made the customer happy, and that’s all that counts.

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THE FOLLOWING IS A PAID PROMOTIONAL ADVERTISEMENT.

Exactly none. I live essentially the middle of nowhere and should be lucky I can even get cable service but just happen to blessed with a powerhouse of digital entertainment that consists of 140 HD channels and 50Mb broadband. Not sure why you don’t want to count satellite TV as competition, but for TV there’s Dish Network and DirecTV, for phone and internet there’s Verizon and their craptastic DSL via remote terminals that maxes out at 3Mb. DSL just became available in my area a few years ago.

How’s this for service. When I upgraded to whole house DVR they originally brought out two Samsung DVRs, after a two days I called up and said I want to swap them out for Cisco DVRs as I don’t like Samsung. They said fine, could have had a tech out here the next day, but due to my work schedule I postponed it until a Saturday. The tech had two brand new Cisco boxes that just came from the factory and had no firmware on them. He plugged them in and hooked them up, one of the DVRs was not accepting the firmware for some reason. After an hour of trying he called a bunch of different people. Only solution was to bring out a new box. He called around and had a bunch of people looking for another Cisco multiroom DVR. Turns out after a while of searching they had one, at the main office, some 60-70 miles away. Another tech brought that box out to my house all the way from downtown Rochester which like I said is a decent haul, about an hour and a half or so ride. What was supposed to be a simple box swap turned out to be a 5 hour ordeal, but hey they made the customer happy, and that’s all that counts.

Whatever dude.

I wish Time Warner would pay me with cash, but instead the just reward me with the BEST digital TV, phone and data services around. Sucky satellite and inferior Fios cannot compare to how great TW Cable actually is. So bite me!

Whatever dude.

I wish Time Warner would pay me with cash, but instead the just reward me with the BEST digital TV, phone and data services around. Sucky satellite and inferior Fios cannot compare to how great TW Cable actually is. So bite me!

You aren't that guy from the Time Warner commercials are you?:rolleyes:

Well they did fix it (well temp) the line was cut out in the easement where the city was digging. They ran a temp line to their box and will bury it later (line between their boxes not to my house). It did take 10 days of no internet for them to get around to fixing it.

It sounds like Steve Mehs' TWC office is overstaffed with competent repair people... I sense a layoff coming soon...

In reality it is rediculous how long this took. Of course being at the end of the line did not help. If there was another 30 houses past me they would have probably fixed it much quicker if more were knocked out.

You aren't that guy from the Time Warner commercials are you?:rolleyes:

Ya know it's really funny. if some satellite knucklehead would have posted the same thing but instead of the post reading 'Time Warner' if it would have read 'Dish Network' or 'DirecTV' it would have been A-OK, because Dish Network and DirecTV are just so damn peachy and perfect. But since it's not about one of the precious satellite providers, I get flack.

It sounds like Steve Mehs' TWC office is overstaffed with competent repair people... I sense a layoff coming soon...

Nice try, but you couldn't be more wrong. It's called Signature Home, next day or even in some cases same day service is the norm. Making sure the customer is 100% happy is what it's all about. My franchise employees about 300 techs, about 30 of them handle nothing but Signature Home issues.

Hey Steve, I think it is great that TWC customer service works so well for you. However My Mileage has most certainly varied :)

I'm not knocking service in Rochester and would just wish you would send a few of those supertechs out Milwaukee way.

Nice try, but you couldn't be more wrong. It's called Signature Home, next day or even in some cases same day service is the norm. Making sure the customer is 100% happy is what it's all about. My franchise employees about 300 techs, about 30 of them handle nothing but Signature Home issues.

Maybe someday the service will make it out to the remote areas of TX. They have been making a huge amount of progress in the HD front in my area. Up to about 50 channels from 5 last year, and they seem to keep adding more. They may prove themselves a worthy competitor to DBS in my area.

Ya know it's really funny. if some satellite knucklehead would have posted the same thing but instead of the post reading 'Time Warner' if it would have read 'Dish Network' or 'DirecTV' it would have been A-OK, because Dish Network and DirecTV are just so damn peachy and perfect. But since it's not about one of the precious satellite providers, I get flack.
Seriously?
You are one of the few here that has a company H.O. and if anyone says something against them you respond with a rant.
Yet turn it around and someone says it against your personal "favorite" company and you take offense and respond, and you are taking flak?

Seriously?
You are one of the few here that has a company H.O. and if anyone says something against them you respond with a rant.
Yet turn it around and someone says it against your personal "favorite" company and you take offense and respond, and you are taking flak?

Best thing I am one of those former "Satellite Knuckleheads" he is talking about. The key being FORMER. Yes I left Dish two years ago for TWC because they lacked the sport channels I wanted (MSG in HD at that time and YES). Having both services for years (TWC or the former Adelphia has always been my internet provider) so Steve I very capable of giving an objective opinion of TWC and Dish. TWC now has a generous offering of HD channels . They didn't 4 years ago and Dish was the leader. Their VOD offering is excellent. However TWC's scienctific (now cisco) receivers and dvr are light years behind Dish in performance, features, and internal and external storage options. They are slow and at times their remotes are generally unresponsive unless you change the batteries on a weekly basis. If their receivers and dvrs were first class you wouldn't need the huge library of VOD, because you could just record what you want and watch at your leisure.

I am not here to sit back and knock TWC, but I am not having a love affair with them either. The way you are constantly bragging about them, makes you sound like you work in their PR Department or Customer Service, and get your service for free like the actual employees do.

If the NFL gets their act together and we have a football season, I will have a big decision to make. I want the NFL Network and either NFL Redzone or NFLST in some form to get me to stay solo with TWC. Its time the 2nd. Largest Cable Company in the Country makes the these services available to their subs. If they don't come to their senses and offer it in some form; then I will sub to Directv for video and keep TWC for roadrunner and basic qam service.

It is the age old cable problem. Cable systems such as TWC are really a stitched together collection of local cable companies. My cable company was Mountain View Cable, then Vista Cable, and now TWC (about 10 years). One can have fantastic service in one area and really poor service in another under the same company banner. TWC has to deal with all sorts of different equipment and technologies depending on what was in place when they bought the system. They are making progress as I mentioned in my area, perhaps someday they will be able to deliver the best experience.

Best thing I am one of those former "Satellite Knuckleheads" he is talking about. The key being FORMER. Yes I left Dish two years ago for TWC because they lacked the sport channels I wanted (MSG in HD at that time and YES). Having both services for years (TWC or the former Adelphia has always been my internet provider) so Steve I very capable of giving an objective opinion of TWC and Dish.

I’ve got you beat. You’re forgetting one thing, I put up with satellite TV for over seven years. Had Time Warner from 1988-1998. Switched to Dish Network in 1998 and then 2004, after being fed up their pure POS DVRs and having Charlie take channels away every month switched to DirecTV and just days after my two year jail sentence with them was up I bolted and went right back for Time Warner. After getting Road Runner and having it for a few months, I was so impressed with the reliability and so disgusted with DirecTV I drove downtown and talked with a sales guy at TW. He offered to buy out the remainder of my DirecTV contract if I were to switch that day, I wanted to so bad, but the contract is my word, and I don’t break my word (except for with AT&T), so I stuck it out for another six months or so with DirecTV.

so Steve I very capable of giving an objective opinion of TWC and Dish.

Seven and a half years of satellite experience says so am I.

TWC now has a generous offering of HD channels . They didn't 4 years ago and Dish was the leader
Four years ago there was very little content around. In 2007 Time Warner started turning up the heat with HD.

Their VOD offering is excellent
Yes it is.

However TWC's scienctific (now cisco) receivers and dvr are light years behind Dish in performance, features, and internal and external storage options

Not sure what features you’re looking for. All I want the thing to do is to be able to allow me to watch live TV and record programming. When I had Dish, their DVRs sucked so bad it was a craps shoot whether or not something would actually record or whether or not your recording would be interrupted with a random reboot. With DirecTV and the well documented DirecTiVo loss of color bug (that DirecTV denied) watching TV, let me rephrase that, watch TV in color as opposed to black and white was easier said than done. I have no issues with my Cisco DVRs, they just work, and that’s all I ask and I think 500GB of storage is plenty.

They are slow and at times their remotes are generally unresponsive unless you change the batteries on a weekly

I’ve upgraded my remotes numerous times over the years when slightly better ones came out. Can’t say I’ve had any problems.

If their receivers and dvrs were first class you wouldn't need the huge library of VOD, because you could just record what you want and watch at your leisure.

That is the stupidest thing I’ve ever read. You know not all VOD content is available on the linear channel equivalent and not everyone has a DVR.

The way you are constantly bragging about them, makes you sound like you work in their PR Department or Customer Service, and get your service for free like the actual employees do.

Honestly, I wish I worked for them. I mean who wouldn’t want to work for one of the biggest entertainment companies around? And I’ll brag about them as much as I want. If I were to brag about Dish and DirecTV that would be fine because that is the norm. But because I think both suck royal donkey balls and TW beats them that’s not cool. And hell yeah, all brag about my service. When was the last time Dish or DirecTV went on a wild goose chase for their subscribers looking for specific hardware to drive it out to the customer some 60 miles away? I have had nothing but awesome service from TW the few times I’ve needed them.

If the NFL gets their act together and we have a football season, I will have a big decision to make. I want the NFL Network and either NFL Redzone or NFLST in some form to get me to stay solo with TWC. Its time the 2nd. Largest Cable Company in the Country makes the these services available to their subs. If they don't come to their senses and offer it in some form; then I will sub to Directv for video and keep TWC for roadrunner and basic qam service.

Hopefully Time Warner NEVER adds the NFL Network. It’s a huge waste and is not worth a dime for the 8 live games they show a year. I watched Red Zone on my phone this past season. It’s a pretty cool channel, but tell me, instead of making Red Zone its own dedicated part time channel, why not just make it a programming block on NFL Network? I mean Sundays from 1-7PM NFL Network is just about useless. Well, I think we know the answer to that question..

Seriously?

I will defend the companies I do business with against trash talk from the ignorant. Don’t like it? Too damn bad! Look at when someone posts ‘I’m Leaving Dish Network’ or ‘I’m leaving DirecTV’ and you’ll see a whole flock of posters with sticks shoved up their rear making sarcastic comments and telling them ‘you’ll be sorry’ or ‘you’ll be back’.

I’d bet the world if I posted what I did above about TWs customer service word for word and gave not only that example, but another two or three in the Dish or DirecTV areas, and replaced Time Warner with the name of a satellite provider the response would be very positive. But instead, I posted it about a cable company and I get crucified for it. You guys just can’t handle that satellite is a very poor solution in areas where cable is done right. The technology is there, but if the cable companies acted on it, they could bury satellite.

If I read Steve's previous response correctly, a big part of his problem with DISH was the crummy DVRs. He left DISH in 2004, which means he was most likely using a 7100/7200. No wonder. Those of you who can't understand are using the modern DVRs.

So when I say I am beyond frustrated with TWC DVRs, it is because I came here off a DISH 622, with a short stop on a Comcast/Motorola DVR. The 622 was by far the best. The TWC box I initially got wasn't bad (Samsung) until TWC "fixed" it 2 months later and removed the favorites list, 30 second skip, external HDD support, etc.

Steve seems to have good service reps. My last service call took 9 visits over 12 weeks and I never did get it correct. I have resigned myself to intermittent SDV channels. The signal is weak. They admit it, but can't fix it. Again Steve, I respect your opinion and am happy that your cable marriage is made in heaven. Please respect that others may have different experiences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)