10 ft fiberglass

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john green

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Georgia
I will be getting a 10 foot fiberglass dish with a General Inst receiver. This is site unseen and the Guy I am communicating with know's nothing about the system. Can anyone speculate on how difficult taking this type of dish apart will be ? I don't really need the dish but I don't turn down any free equipment. Taking the dish away is part of the deal.

It will be very heavy. I suggest you get all the help you can muster. Hard to predict just how difficult it will be, as they all seem to be different. If the bolts aren't to rusted, it will make it easier, but it still is not easy. Maybe you should go before hand and try some kind of rust lubricant and allow it to set a while? Be careful and Good Luck!

Al

Great ideas Al. I asked the guy to send me a picture if he could but going out there before hand is probably a better idea..

some are four section types some are solids ( i usually don't mess with them because they are very heavy) some older fiberglass have poor mesh imbedded so it could be a hit / miss with older dishes. If its sections mark them so you can place then back together the same way.( a string test will help when re assembling) make note of the direction its pointing with a compass ( unless it has failed its probably pointing at a correct satellite). placing it back to that satellite will make your re-install go that much quicker. mark the mount & pole .... i use a hoist that i got from HF it helps me do single person installs and uninstalls. spray all bolts with something like PB Blaster. pole recovery ...i use the hoist mentioned above and a heavy duty clamp , unearth the outside of concrete , removing any if possible and wench it up (some time i have to nudge it a bit with the truck bumper)

Back in my teens ,1989 or so, I helped my Dad take down our 10 foot reflector, four pieces. It was very heavy. VERY heavy. It still sits in four pieces in the woods behind my Mom's house. I hope to find out where my Dad stashed the mount for it, I might be bale to use it for something, but since he isn't with us anymore :( I guess finding it will be a crapshoot.

So make sure you have help for danged sure. Maybe you'll be lucky and it'll be a six petal fiberglass dish, I have seen a few of those...

I use the same method as gabshere to remove the post, except that I don't bother with a clamp. I just wrap the chain around the post a couple times and start hoisting, the chain won't budge after it gets some pressure against it. Although don't underestimate the size of chain.. a small chain will snap and leave a nasty ding in your buddy's pickup truck (or so I've "heard"). And make sure you use the "bumper loosening" technique - it makes a ton of difference (literally!) . I bent a cheap hoist because I tried to "bruit force" the post out without properly loosening it from the ground.

As for the dish, I've never disassembled one from the post (but some recommend this). The only disassembly I've ever done was when I wanted to store the dish in my basement (It wouldn't fit through the door without disassembly). 3 fairly muscular guys (i.e. no beanpole guys) can handle just about anything under 12ft with a little sweat (if the pole is low enough to the ground) using no tools other than a wrench to loose the mount's bolts.

I just loosen the bolts in the mount that hold it to the pole (unburry the cables and toss them into the dish so that they are not under foot, or snip them off if you're not taking them). Then I have one guy on each side and one in the back. "Gently" rotate the dish from side to side while lifting up (trying not to bind the dish on the pole as you're lifting). When the mount is off the post, rest it on the post while the two guys on the side stablize things and slowly being tipping the dish back. The 3rd guy will "catch" the dish while walking back from underneath it as it slides backwards and down. Now it's on the ground, so just pick it up and lift it into the back of a pickup, or better yet, onto a flatbed trailer. Tie it down and take it home.

To mount the dish, do the reverse.

Well I went to pick up the dish and receiver last night. Dish was 4 piece fiberglass from probably early 70's. Decided I was not interested since I already have the 10 ft mesh. The Guy said I could have the receiver anyway if I helped him take down the dish. He was concerned it would fall over and hurt someone. He was putting the receiver on the front seat of my truck while I was picking up my tools. He handed me the manual for a GI 2100E. I thought not bad for 35 minutes of work. I got home and unloaded and to my surprise the front of the receiver says GI 4DTV :) Looks like the 920. I think I did pretty well.

great find :) its how i got mine :) also the corotor might be good , the dish actually sounds like it would be good but i can understand concerns its heavy and could fall..

great find :) its how i got mine :) also the corotor might be good , the dish actually sounds like it would be good but i can understand concerns its heavy and could fall..

Yes I thought so. I took everything except the dish. Like spare parts around. Now I need to get a dish aimed at the proper satellite and get maps.

This was all listed in the free section of craigs list since mid june I believe and I was the first to ask. It was meant for me :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts