10' mesh button hook alignment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olegray

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
w. arkansas
Helping a friend align his 10' button hook. We're at 35.5 Latitude, -94.3 Longitude. pole is plum, dish elevation angle 36, Decl is 41-42. alinged to 174 true south, Sat 95W 4167 V, 6614. Lnbf is a good one, but no quality..I notice the lower end of the mount has alot of play probably from being left loose and worn enough that it rocks back and forth.When its'd tightened down, it eliminates that. How do we check to see if the lnb is in the center of the dish? I measure from all four edges of the dish to the scallar ring and they are equal. Checked the focal depth and focal length. What have we missed? Thanks.Ed

Try turning the LNBF 90 deg and see if it makes a diff. Some of the LNBfs have a zero polarity mark that's a little strange. But the loose mount you mention makes me pause... Waste,of time with anything loose.

We're using one of my lnbf which has the skew at 12 oclock. That worn mount keeps cropping up in my mind. Think I'll take a look at that. When it's tightened it sems ok. To check the lnb being centered in the dish is a question also.. What's a good way of checking that on a button hook? Thanks, Ed.

Measuring from the edge to the scaler ring would be the best bet. If the mount is tight (but maybe not perfectly perpendicular to the center of the dish) it should work fine, but the elevation & azimuth angles will off proportionally to the error. You will have to move the dish around a bit and find your true south satellite (strong TP signal) and go from there... shouldn't be far off if the buttonhook looks reasonably straight. As mentioned above make sure the skew is set right... some LNBFs are labeled 90 degrees off for some reason. What LNBF are you using?
-C.

if you have a laser level with 90 degree beam you can place it at the dish center and see if its centered . sears and lowes used to sell them not cheap but worth it

I'm using a California Amp lnbf that I have used for several years and have it marked where the skew is at 12 oclock. I'm going back up this morning and replace the bolt and nut on the mount and see if that takes the play out of it..Thanks, Ed.

I have a 10' button hook dish.
Fat Air helped me set mine up.
What I was advised to do is put guy wires half way out and to the pole in the center.
Used devices to tighen the wires and make the pole dead center when the
dish is moved. It works just fine for me. Good luck.

We'll put guy wires on this one, but our main trouble is a worn mount. We'll take it down and he can weld a reinforcment bead where it has worn. The bolt was left loose years ago and over time it just wore the mount. I was hoping for a worn bolt, but anyhow, we'll get it straightened out. Thanks. Ed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts