100 HD Channels for NY and north NJ

Acerone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
Long Island
If you haven't heard yet about the 100 HD Channels here's the info about the big changes happening in the next week.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1331450~ec8efefa662d95f96babb6c3351295e9/lineup.tif

502 CBS2-HD
504 NBC4-HD
505 FOX5-HD
507 ABC7-HD
509 MY9-HD
511 CW11-HD
513 PBS13-HD
550 USA HD
551 TNT HD
552 TBS HD
553 FX HD
567 Universal HD
568 WGN HD
569 HDNet
570 ESPN HD
572 ESPNews HD
574 ESPN 2 HD
576 YES HD
577 SportsNet NY HD
583 SPEED CHANNEL HD
585 BIG TEN HD
587 TENNISS CHANNEL HD
588 NFL Network HD
590 VS/GLOF HD
591 OUTDORR CHANNEL HD
597 WORLD FISHING NETWORK HD
598 MAV TV HD
600 CNN HD
602 CNBC HD
617 FOX BUSINESS NETWORK HD
618 FOX NEWS
619 THE WEATHER HD
620 Discovery HD
621 National Geographic HD
622 THE SCIENCE CHANNEL HD
625 THE SMITHSONIAN CHANNEL HD
628 HISTORY CHANNEL HD
629 THE BIOGRAPHY HD
630 ANIMAL PLANET HD
631 HD Theater
639 TLC HD
640 LIFETIME HD
641 LMN HD
650 QVC HD
664 Food HD
665 HGTV HD
668 PLANET GREEN HD
669 Wealth HD
670 TRAVEL CHANNEL HD
680 SCI FI HD
681 A&E HD
682 MOJO HD
685 BRAVO HD
699 ABC FAMILY HD
711 MHD
740 HALLMARK CHANNEL HD
744 MGM HD
746 HDNet Movies
780 DISNEY HD
781 TOON DISNEY HD
840 STARZ EDGE HD
845 STARZ KIDS HD
847 STARZ COMEDY HD
866 SHOWTIME WEST HD
867 SHOWTIME SHOWCASE HD
868 SHOWTIME SHOWCASE W HD
869 SHOWTIME 2 HD
870 SHOWTIME 2 W HD
873 SHOWTIME EXTREME HD
874 SHOWTIME EXTREME WEST HD
886 TMC W HD
887 TMC EXTRA HD
888 TMC EXTRA W HD
901 HBO W HD
902 HBO2 HD
903 HBO2 W HD
904 HBO SIG HD
905 HBO SIG W HD
906 HBO FAM HD
907 HBOI FAM W HD
908 HBO COMEDY HD
909 HBO COMEDY W HD
910 HBO ZONE HD
911 HBO ZONE W HD
912 HBO LATINO W HD
913 HBO LATINO W HD
920 MAX HD
921 MAX W HD
922 MORE MAX HD
923 MORE MAX W HD
924 ACTION MAX HD
925 ACTION MAX W HD
926 THRILLER MAX HD
927 THRILLER MAX W HD
928 WMAX HD
929 AT MAX HD
930 5 STAR MAX HD
931 OUTER MAX HD

Last edited:
Can't wait, thanks for the post....Now if they could only get MSNBC from the grips of the evil empire.....Cablevision :dev

Someone on dslreports posted that NY is getting 54 new HD channels... tonight! Guess we'll see, although it sounds unlikely to me that they would make that kind of update on a Friday night.

I gotta say that the constant update is very messy. Do the update once and get it over with. Having channel XYZ move from channel 1 to channel 2 and then to channel 3 is pretty confusing. OK, I don't know what is technically behind this so maybe it is absolutely needed, but it's still confusing. This channel listing they sent differs from the channel listing obtain from the web, which still differs from what I'm actually getting. And now, a week later, more changes. Please don't get me wrong, the growth is great, I'm just commenting on how the growth occurs. Man I wish I was on Verizon customer panel.

Well - I just came back from my daughter's house - FiOS indeed has lit the channels listed in the OP. With them offering 7 HD local channels as well as YES-HD and SNY-HD full time, the HD channel count is 98. And that is not including PPV or out-of-market RSN. Seems like they snuck right into the lead here for the moment.

I intend to order the FiOS triple play now and switch one of my sets over from DirecTV to see the comparison. Since I already have Verizon DSL and Verizon phone service, it will still save me money over what I am paying right now for the first year.

Let's see how it goes. If only FiOS had the NFL and MLB.

Expect some exciting mlb and fios news very soon.

This is a great day for fios and all those who want the best hd service out there.

Sure.

It's a little too late for any EXCITING MLB news for this year I would say. Hopefully they have it in place for next year.

And it's a great day for those in the FiOS NY market today - the first to get channels like ESPNews-HD and the like. Congrats for them finally adding stuff after such a long time.

Don't understand why they add markets so slowly though - they have already upgraded many of their markets for these channels.

Well - I just came back from my daughter's house - FiOS indeed has lit the channels listed in the OP. With them offering 7 HD local channels as well as YES-HD and SNY-HD full time, the HD channel count is 98. And that is not including PPV or out-of-market RSN. Seems like they snuck right into the lead here for the moment.

I intend to order the FiOS triple play now and switch one of my sets over from DirecTV to see the comparison. Since I already have Verizon DSL and Verizon phone service, it will still save me money over what I am paying right now for the first year.

ScoBuck, are you gonna offer a mini review (comparison to D*)?

Why are they missing some of the east coast feeds ON the east coast? HBO, Showtime, Starz and TMC are all west feeds only?

I might be moving to Beaverton, OR and will hopefully have Fios available...if so, I am definitely dumping Dish in hopes that Beaverton gets a lineup even half this good. (I'm a movie channel junkie.)

Let us know what you think of their HD DVRs? I'm really thinking of Dropping D* for Fios.

ScoBuck, are you gonna offer a mini review (comparison to D*)?

I'll do my best to offer feedback. But I already know from watching it at my daughters that the PQ on FiOS is and has always been excellent. I also feel that the MPEG-4 HD PQ on DirecTV is excellent as well.

I am not getting a DVR from FiOS so I won't be able to make that kind of comparison, but I have used my daughters DVR and I don't like it - but that may well be just because I am not familiar with it.

If you haven't heard yet about the 100 HD Channels here's the info about the big changes happening in the next week.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1331450~ec8efefa662d95f96babb6c3351295e9/lineup.tif

502 CBS2-HD
504 NBC4-HD
505 FOX5-HD
507 ABC7-HD
509 MY9-HD
511 CW11-HD
513 PBS13-HD
550 USA HD
551 TNT HD
552 TBS HD
553 FX HD
567 Universal HD
568 WGN HD
569 HDNet
570 ESPN HD
572 ESPNews HD
574 ESPN 2 HD
576 YES HD
577 SportsNet NY HD
583 SPEED CHANNEL HD
585 BIG TEN HD
587 TENNISS CHANNEL HD
588 NFL Network HD
590 VS/GLOF HD
591 OUTDORR CHANNEL HD
597 WORLD FISHING NETWORK HD
598 MAV TV HD
600 CNN HD
602 CNBC HD
617 FOX BUSINESS NETWORK HD
618 FOX NEWS
619 THE WEATHER HD
620 Discovery HD
621 National Geographic HD
622 THE SCIENCE CHANNEL HD
625 THE SMITHSONIAN CHANNEL HD
628 HISTORY CHANNEL HD
629 THE BIOGRAPHY HD
630 ANIMAL PLANET HD
631 HD Theater
639 TLC HD
640 LIFETIME HD
641 LMN HD
650 QVC HD
664 Food HD
665 HGTV HD
668 PLANET GREEN HD
669 Wealth HD
670 TRAVEL CHANNEL HD
680 SCI FI HD
681 A&E HD
682 MOJO HD
685 BRAVO HD
699 ABC FAMILY HD
711 MHD
740 HALLMARK CHANNEL HD
744 MGM HD
746 HDNet Movies
780 DISNEY HD
781 TOON DISNEY HD
840 STARZ EDGE HD
845 STARZ KIDS HD
847 STARZ COMEDY HD
866 SHOWTIME WEST HD
867 SHOWTIME SHOWCASE HD
868 SHOWTIME SHOWCASE W HD
869 SHOWTIME 2 HD
870 SHOWTIME 2 W HD
873 SHOWTIME EXTREME HD
874 SHOWTIME EXTREME WEST HD
886 TMC W HD
887 TMC EXTRA HD
888 TMC EXTRA W HD
901 HBO W HD
902 HBO2 HD
903 HBO2 W HD
904 HBO SIG HD
905 HBO SIG W HD
906 HBO FAM HD
907 HBOI FAM W HD
908 HBO COMEDY HD
909 HBO COMEDY W HD
910 HBO ZONE HD
911 HBO ZONE W HD
912 HBO LATINO W HD
913 HBO LATINO W HD
920 MAX HD
921 MAX W HD
922 MORE MAX HD
923 MORE MAX W HD
924 ACTION MAX HD
925 ACTION MAX W HD
926 THRILLER MAX HD
927 THRILLER MAX W HD
928 WMAX HD
929 AT MAX HD
930 5 STAR MAX HD
931 OUTER MAX HD

Aren't you missing the primary east feeds of the 5 premiums on 851-855???

Let us know what you think of their HD DVRs? I'm really thinking of Dropping D* for Fios.
I'm a former DirecTV customer. I never had HD service with them, but I did have their SD DVR (the R15). I understand that their HD box (the HR20/21) is a superior product to their R15, so this won't be a totally accurate comparison, but I believe many of the features between the R15 and HR20 are similar enough that this comparison can give you a sense of what to expect:

FiOS Motorola DVR over R15:

1) Speed - the response on this thing is much faster than the R15. Sometimes there's a lag when getting into the video on demand screen, but even that's improved considerably in the last couple months.

2) More intuitive interface - I liked the R15, but I thought that their user interface was put together by s/w engineers. There were inconsistencies all over the place (mark and delete on recorded list but not on the to do list?), and some of the design considerations just had me scratching my head (why no series manager? Why did I HAVE to have an upcoming recording of a show scheduled before I was allowed to modify an existing series). The FiOS interface is really intuitive.

3) Color coding - I know, this is a silly one. But it's something that's important to me. I don't know why DirecTV ever got away from color coding in the guide (my first receiver with them had it).

4) Dual live buffer - while this isn't as flexible as it is with Tivo, as long as I'm not recording something, I can flip between tuners. They're supposed to bake in a pause capability with that in the next release (pause on one buffer, flip to the other, pause there, flip back to first buffer, and pick up where you left off).

5) One cable needed - For as advanced as DirecTV is on their programming, I've never understood why they fell so far behind in providing a single-wire solution.

6) Media manager - if you opt for the media manager version of the DVR (costs a couple extra bucks a month) you get access to your digital music and pictures off your PCs (and soon streaming video, and access to internet streaming), as well as multi-room viewing. If you ever saw that Garnett commercial, you'll get a sense of what I'm talking about. There are some limitations to this, so if you do decide to get the media manager version of the DVR, you'll want to ask about those. Still, even with those limitations, I love this feature.

7) Searching - they put alot of thought into allowing you to search on stuff. They have different options for how you want to put in your search string (I personally like the touch-phone pad), and they default with wildcards in the spaces. For example, if I wanted to find Dirty Jobs, I could just enter Di J, and it would find it. One thing that takes getting used to, though, is the fact that it doesn't give you your results in alphabetical order. It gives it by relevence (or what it perceives as relevence).

8) No goofy limits - I don't know if the HR20 has this problem, but the R15 definitely did. No more than 50 series? No more than 100 items in your to do list? You can't set up the same series on more than one channel? What the heck is THAT all about? None of those goofy limits exist on the motorola DVR.

R15 over FiOS DVR:

1) More functionality - while the moto box is capable and fast and intuitive, it's lacking in some of the nicer functionality that the R15 had. No mark and delete (I loved that feature), on searching there's no 'recent searches', there's nothing equivalent to a wishlist or autotune/record.

2) Bigger harddrive - this is my biggest nit with the motorola DVR. The HD version only has a 160GB harddrive in it. What makes it worse, because Verizon doesn't do any additional compression of their stuff, the DVR sucks down space like water. On my R15s, I found that SD programming recorded at a rate of ~1GB/hour. With FiOS, because of the lack of additional compression, they run at 2 - 3 GB/hour. While that leads to a superior PQ, it also sucks down the space on that harddrive like you wouldn't believe. And the HD REALLY sucks it down. They're supposed to come out with esata support really soon, but it can't come soon enough.

3) Native resolution passthrough - this is another nit I have with the moto DVR - native resolution passthrough doesn't exist on it. You have to select either 720p or 1080i for your HD resolution.

4) Caller ID - not sure why the phone company puts out a TV service that doesn't support caller ID... but they don't yet have it.

Those are just some of the high-level ones. Overall, I like the FiOS guide s/w alot. I think it's very slick, and very quick. It's got a unique interface - some love it, some hate it. Personally I'm of the former category. I got my first R15 a little over 2 years ago, and it was probably the least stable s/w platform of any consumer electronics product I owned (well, leased). Even a year later, when I left DirecTV, they still had many annoying bugs. The fios s/w is relatively new too (we just got the new s/w earlier this year) and as such has some bugs too - some annoying ones. But over all, relative to the R15, the fios s/w was a model of stability.

How do I find out if the new HD channels are available to me? I'm at 07747, I've been all over the fios site but I can't confirm anything. I know I could call but I don't want them to tell me what I want to hear.

Bill