100 HD Channels for NY and north NJ

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I probably will double play also.

That whole 23 rsn plan channel rollout for D* irked the sh@#@ out of me. I rather have channels not rsn's. Since i have FIOS internet it will be quick and easy.
Well, it'll be quickER and easiER than if you were starting from scratch. I had internet service first, and later added TV. My internet install took about 4 hours, and my TV install about 2 1/2. Then again, my TV installer had to download the s/w to the STBs twice - the first time it didn't take on one of my STBs because he didn't have it plugged in all the way. And considering that it takes a good 20 minutes just to download the s/w...

Also, if you're an older internet install, it's possible that they have you hooked up with ethernet for your internet connection. If so, then they need to run one more cable - from your computer router to your TV splitter, to handle guide data, VOD, and other IP-fed stuff. If you're set up with MoCA for internet, it's easier - which is probably why Verizon has moved totally to MoCA for all internet installs. In that case, the cable is already running to your router, and no additional cable to that router is necessary.

Granted, it'll be alot faster than your first install - but it'll still take some time.

While the list is impressive and I know the PQ has always been good, I wish Fios were available in my area.

Anyway, I want to ask why some of you D* subs want to switch? D*'s HD lineup is just as good if not better very soon, and as far as we know D*'s MPEG4 will be in good PQ contest too, so why switch especially some of you need the NFL ST? Not to mention most of you dont care about the $16/ea HDDVR fee.

While the list is impressive and I know the PQ has always been good, I wish Fios were available in my area.

Anyway, I want to ask why some of you D* subs want to switch? D*'s HD lineup is just as good if not better very soon, and as far as we know D*'s MPEG4 will be in good PQ contest too, so why switch especially some of you need the NFL ST? Not to mention most of you dont care about the $16/ea HDDVR fee.

In my case I am not switching, rather I am adding FiOS to one of my existing HDTV's - with the pricing for their TriplePlay the extra cost for one TV is minimal, and it allows me to see how it compares over the next year.

As I have also stated, I intend to keep DirecTV because not only doesn't FiOS have the NFL, they still don't have MLB or really any decent sports coverage.

I don't agree that DirecTV's lineup will be better than Verizon's when all is said and done. It depends on what you want. If you're a big sports nut, then I agree, DirecTV is the place to be. With the specialty sports packs, and all the RSNs that you can get access to. But if you're not into getting the extra sports pack, I really don't think DirecTV would be a better choice in terms of programming. Many of the channels that DirecTV is adding in this go-round will be RSNs and PPVs. Take away the PPVs, and you're looking at an equivalent number of HD channels per market (about 100/market, give or take). But of those 100, a good 15 - 17 will be RSNs with DirecTV, while they'll be standard cable channels with Verizon. It really depends on what you're looking for.

Here's where I see the advantages to FiOS over DirecTV are:

1) More overall channels - yeah, DirecTV currently (very soon to change) has more HD channels, Verizon has more channels overall.

2) Better SD PQ. I've never had DirecTV's HD service so I can't compare, but the SD PQ is just very clearly better on FiOS.

3) VOD - Yeah, DirecTV rolled out DoD, which is a sorta-on-demand capability, but it's not the same.

4) Local stuff - more local channels in HD, plus I get all of my local digital subchannels, and I get local weather on the 8's on TWC, and WeatherScan Local.

5) No rain fade.

Those are just some of the pros from my personal experience.

Edit - from a pricing perspective, again, it depends on what you want. Both companies price things very differently so it's a little hard to make a general comment as to which is the better deal. Add in discounts due to bundling with Verizon, and it complicates matters further. Yeah, their DVRs are more expensive every month, but then again you don't pay anything for them up front, there's no required commitment, and their normal programming price is significantly less than DirecTV's ($47/month gives you access to everything but the premiums and their sports pack - there's no HD fee, there are no tiers). Also, in terms of bang for your buck, FiOS is really a good deal - again, depending on what you're looking for.

For example, I have their movie pack, which includes: Starz, Showtime, TMC, Flix, Encore, IFC, and Sundance (45 SD channels in all), both in SD and HD (soon to have a large number of HD channels), AND includes the VOD feeds for those channels to. I pay $13/month for that. They've since raised that price a bit (I think it's $14/month now) but I'm grandfathered into the older price.

link don't work
That's because Verizon has been really slow about replicating these updates to all their web servers. Some people can get to the files... others can't. I can get to them from work, but not from home.

Well, it'll be quickER and easiER than if you were starting from scratch. I had internet service first, and later added TV. My internet install took about 4 hours, and my TV install about 2 1/2. Then again, my TV installer had to download the s/w to the STBs twice - the first time it didn't take on one of my STBs because he didn't have it plugged in all the way. And considering that it takes a good 20 minutes just to download the s/w...

Also, if you're an older internet install, it's possible that they have you hooked up with ethernet for your internet connection. If so, then they need to run one more cable - from your computer router to your TV splitter, to handle guide data, VOD, and other IP-fed stuff. If you're set up with MoCA for internet, it's easier - which is probably why Verizon has moved totally to MoCA for all internet installs. In that case, the cable is already running to your router, and no additional cable to that router is necessary.

Granted, it'll be alot faster than your first install - but it'll still take some time.

I already planned on running coax for the router. Everything is already done trust me if they spend more than 1 hr on my install they are just stalling. I still have to wait for my market to become Gpon.

I would spend roughly the same money. I would just get the multi room HD Dvr. and one HD ird. I already paid for the Sunday ticket so I can keep one D* hddvr active for Sunday and cut off all my extra programing. My bill would be only 20 dollars.

I am so jealous that NY/NJ got 100 HD's before any other market. Anyone have any info on when DFW area will get these HD channels, I am dying with the 30 something they currently have (not including premiums).

Expect some exciting mlb and fios news very soon.

Some exciting FiOS/MLB news very soon as in .............when? For any of the 2008 season? Doesn't look like it despite all of your 'claims' to the contrary.

I have FiOS now on one TV. The PQ is not really different than the MPEG-4 PQ from DirecTV. At least not different that myself or anyone else who has now seen both can distinguish as anything worth noting, both are excellent.

They do have a great HD channel lineup for sure - but they advertise as having 100 HD channels here in NY when there are really 94. There are 6 HD premiums that are in the guide and listed as coming soon.

The sports side of things is very weak however - both in SD and in HD. They only have 2 of the 4 local HD RSNS - they have none of the out-of-market RSNS - not even part-time.

Until they get the sports (which they themselves say they are trying to do), they will be lacking very important programming as I see it. If they are successful in landing those channels, they are going to be very strong competition however.

Expect some exciting mlb news very soon.

I do hope that they can work this out before next April!

They now have 102 HD channels in this market, the PQ is outstanding, and they now need to go after the weakest spot in their channel lineup - SPORTS. That would help them gain subs tremendously IMHO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts