125ku reception with 90cm??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
I was handed a freebie 90cm dish, and i was thinking of locking it to 125w. But, I want to make sure I get everything on that bird reliably. I want to make sure i can get Montana PBS and the OETA suite as i know those can be tricky.

Any issues with 90cm on the 125 bird?

Thanks!

Montana PBS don't need signal strength with that low SR and a 2/3 FEC. OETA is the first one to give me issues. But I rarely watch Montana PBS on 125W, it's my OTA PBS in HD.

Reactions: iBoston
geez 3+ years ago when I had FTA I had no issues with both of them on a 76cm dish here in MN

Guess they must have changed the power since then?

That should work fine. The TPs lock easily even though they are all S2.
My 33" does the job. However Montana is weak.
Did something change again?
3+ years ago, they were all DVB_S. When they changed all to S2. I had to 'up' the dish size from the 30 inch. Now have a 1.2 meter there. Although my 1.0 meter probably would have sufficed.

I have a 90 cm on 125w and it almost always works fine on all of these channels. However, occasionally there are weather issues at the uplinks and the affected channels will disappear. As Magic Static said, OETA is the most prone to problems. So I just swing the 8.5 ft Birdview over to 125w and I'm good to go.:)

I could have sworn they were S2 then. I know OETA and Montana were S2. I think there was just one feed left that was DVB

Did something change again?
3+ years ago, they were all DVB_S. When they changed all to S2. I had to 'up' the dish size from the 30 inch. Now have a 1.2 meter there. Although my 1.0 meter probably would have sufficed.

looking at the "way back machine" when I last had FTA they were all S2

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They changed something with power or something, because I know a couple of years ago I had to up things to a 1.2M to fix on that bird to get things to lock reliably.
There is a thread around here somewhere discussing it.

WoW, it's been that long ago, Time is slippin' fast.
you're telling me :)

I looked it up and at the beginning of 2012 the PBS stuff was still DVB...I thought they were S2 by then

edit: damn it didnt change to S2 until August....but the "subs" were still DVB at the time

Looking at those charts its crazy to see at one time PBS had THREE different muxes going
12060 with the feeds and the subs (world, create)
12140 with the HD feeds in DVB
12180 with the HD feeds in DVB-S2

But its not as hard as looking back when Equity was around and "good" with all their options out there :)
Alot of us had fixed dishes at 123W JUST for those stations

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently use a 90cm dish for 125W. I had some problems a couple of years ago which was solved by installing a PLL LNBF. Prior to that the microHD sometimes took forever to display video, sometimes displaying 576i video resolution in the menu or strange FEC readings until it locked.

That dish currently has a side mounted LNBF for 121W for a bonus. Rarely have I seen any reception issues with either in years now.

I am still using an 80cm for 125W with strong signals, haven't had any problems in quite a while (and last time it was an uplink problem).

It is also the first dish I ever put up, and it was pointed at 123W for the Equity muxes with side LNBs for White Springs and NASA (the good old days)!

Okay, wow, thanks for all the comparisons. I will give it ago. I am going to install this one on one of my shipping containers, and will NOT have a motor on it. Ill post back my results. It will be a few weeks.

I think it has a lot to do with where you are in the footprint. Several years ago I had no problem receiving any of the listed PBS transponders. Now I struggle to keep a fixed 90cm aligned perfectly to get a mediocre signal. Montana PBS used to be one of the stronger transponders on that bird. Now it stutters, skips and is barely watchable. Luckily for me 12180 comes in decent. So thats where I do much of my viewing. I've given up on the feeds on 12145, 12155, and 12163 as I'm unable to establish a lock under the best of conditions. I've often considered upgrading to a 1.2 but my budget wont allow it at the moment. By the time I get around to it PBS will likely have moved on to fiber.

Over the weekend, there was a "thank you" spot on OETA showing appreciation to the sponsors who helped with linking the transmitters across the state to fiber.

Well, an update. I got the 90cm GeoSatPro mounted on our storage container. This is the first time i have setup a dish without an actuator on it. Took me a bit of time to hone in on the right bird. But, i got it, and I am happy to report I am getting all channels without stutter or pixelation. It also is a lot more stable in the wind then my dish with the actuator on it.

I then attempted to put a side lnbf on it to grab 121w. Now, that I am having a problem doing.. I haven't been able to get a hint of signal. It works like a charm on my 1.2m Any thoughts?

The FD ratios are different to the two dishes. The 90cm GD is .5 and the 1.2 is .6.

Center to center feedhorn measurement on a GEOSATpro 90cm for 4 degree separation satellite reception is 40mm. Four degree separation requires mini LNBFs like the SL1 Bullet or Inverto Multiconnect.

I had designed a special 4 degree bracket for the GSP 90 to clamp and skew the bullet LNBFs.
4db24a10f59580047452346c2f83ef59.jpg

Minimum separation on the GSP 90cm using a typical LNBF is approximately 6+ degrees.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts