129 Again

Stan Sherman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
I live in Oregon, 129 has been a problem, but dish has been managing it pretty well until tonight. This evening i lost all transponders on 129 at least 5 times and the duration of the last was more than 10 minutes. It would be a great idea if they could mirror the HD channels on 148 for those of us in the Pacific NW.

Email tech@echostar.com and explain your difficulties.

They will email you and offer a $49.00 service call, and/or offer DHPP for $5.99 a month.

This will at least put one more nail in 129's coffin.

If they get enough complaints, maybe they will do something.

I'm going to email them too- rebooting all the time. Both 211's locking up regularly. Losing signal on 129 all the time....

Maybe all of us having problems should band together and stop paying our bills until they get things figured out......

I had a problem with 129 since my Dish 1000 install a week ago. I was getting signal strength of 35 - 68 depending on the transponder. I have a perfectly clear view of the sky from my rooftop, so it wasn't like trees were blocking my reception or anything.

So yesterday (Sunday), they had someone come out to "troubleshoot" my issue. The installer ended up putting up a 2nd dish (a Dish 500) pointed to 129, and he moved one of the LNB's on the Dish 1000 to that new Dish 500.

After re-peaking both dishes, I am now getting a signal strength of 68 - 87 on 129 depending on transponder. The majority of the transponders report a signal strength of 76 - 79. I don't seem to have any more drop-outs or pixelation issues on channels on 129 either.

Before, I was also getting signal strengths of 80 - 95 on satellite 119 and 75 - 85 on satellite 110. Now, with the re-peaked Dish 1000, I'm getting signal strength of 95 - 124 on each transponder on 119. Most transponders on 110 come in around 75 - 85, but one channel in particular (Documentary channel), is on 110 and I only get a signal strength of 68 when tuned to that channel.

I don't watch that channel, but am wondering if the installer peaked the dish for 119 and if I should be worried that the dish isn't properly aligned to receive the best 110 signal.

I don't think there's much that I watch on 110, though... I'm in Los Angeles. I did look for other channels on 110 (one or two locals, etc.) and found signal strength of 70 - 80 on those channels.

Should I have someone come out yet again to re-peak the Dish 1000 so it gets a better signal on 110? Or would that result in a weaker signal on 119?

Robert

I live in the Los Angeles area and I had a 622 installation on Saturday. I previously had a dish 500 for 110 and 119 and a separate dish for 61.5.

The installer, told me that he would leave the 61.5 intact and not set up that dish for 129. He claimed that only two second rate SD locals were missing from the 61.5 and the signal was much better than from 129. The locals were not available until several hours after the installation and I found that I did not have the HD locals. I called tech service and they tried to get the channels authorized but they would not show up in my program listing. I then inquired if the HD locals were on 129 and after checking, the tech verified that was the case. I have another service call scheduled to repoint the 61.5 dish so I can ger HD locals.

I am wondering if the 61.5 dish (smaller than the 500) - dedicated to the 129 exclusively - would provide a half decent signal or should I ask for a larger dish? I am torn between keeping the 61.5 signal and getting the 129 due to the reported low 129 signals. I already get the HD locals on my Voom receiver, but I would like to get them on Dish as well so I can DVR HD locals.

Any opinions?

I just had the Dish 1000 installed on Saturday. Had some rain over the weekend and continually lost signal from 129. I emailed tech. We'll see what they say.

grb said:
I live in the Los Angeles area and I had a 622 installation on Saturday. I previously had a dish 500 for 110 and 119 and a separate dish for 61.5.

The installer, told me that he would leave the 61.5 intact and not set up that dish for 129. He claimed that only two second rate SD locals were missing from the 61.5 and the signal was much better than from 129. The locals were not available until several hours after the installation and I found that I did not have the HD locals. I called tech service and they tried to get the channels authorized but they would not show up in my program listing. I then inquired if the HD locals were on 129 and after checking, the tech verified that was the case. I have another service call scheduled to repoint the 61.5 dish so I can ger HD locals.

I am wondering if the 61.5 dish (smaller than the 500) - dedicated to the 129 exclusively - would provide a half decent signal or should I ask for a larger dish? I am torn between keeping the 61.5 signal and getting the 129 due to the reported low 129 signals. I already get the HD locals on my Voom receiver, but I would like to get them on Dish as well so I can DVR HD locals.

Any opinions?

If I were you I would keep your dish where it is and get an antenna for OTA locals. I am in the LA area also, and the quality of the HD locals on 129 is not very good imo. I watch the OTA's exclusively for local programming.

Jim5506 said:
Email tech@echostar.com and explain your difficulties.

They will email you and offer a $49.00 service call, and/or offer DHPP for $5.99 a month.

This will at least put one more nail in 129's coffin.

If they get enough complaints, maybe they will do something.

Followed your advise, will see if it does any good. Here is my email:

I have been having continuing trouble with the 129 Sat and despite repeated attempts to solve it am still having trouble.

Initially after installation of a 1000 Dish I had picture breakup every 20-30 minutes often causing the receiver to reboot. I then had two seperate 500 Dish's installed which did help by peaking a higher signal for 129 (so when the signal dropped every 20-30 min the low point was a higher number than before ... 30's previously verus 40's now.) But although I now seldom have the receiver reboot I am still subjected to picture degredation when the signal drops. As you can tell by looking at my account records I have had several tech appointments but still no remedy.

I believe there is something wrong with the 129 Sat and the problem will not go away until the 129 Sat is replaced or repaired. Possibly if Dish offers a larger Dish to replace the 1000 that might alleviate the problem as well. I know by casually checking http://www.satelliteguys.us/ and http://www.dbstalk.com/ that this is a known issue and that many many people are effected.

Please advise me of what Dish is doing to fix this very serious problem.

FunkeeC said:
If I were you I would keep your dish where it is and get an antenna for OTA locals. I am in the LA area also, and the quality of the HD locals on 129 is not very good imo. I watch the OTA's exclusively for local programming.

I have an OTA antenna for the locals. The problem is that I can't record my local HD's without connecting to the 622 receiver. Since that receiver does not have a diplexer (Like the Voom receiver), I am concerned that I would not get the 43 channels I now receive. So I prefer to continue using the Voom receiver for the OTA's.

I was hopeful that I could get the local HD's on the 129, but I don't want to have problems with all the other HD channels that I now satisfactorily receive on the 61.5. I could accept the local HD's on 129 being inferior to the OTA reception, but it won't be worth getting them if the other HD's are breaking up, etc. due to poor signal strength. If the 129 signal strength is really poor in Southern California, I will stick with the 61.5.

I guess you could say that I want to have my cake and eat it too, but I am paying for it, so why not? I f anyone in Southern California is having major problems with their HD channels on 129, please let me know!

Thanks.

skierrob said:
I had a problem with 129 since my Dish 1000 install a week ago. I was getting signal strength of 35 - 68 depending on the transponder. I have a perfectly clear view of the sky from my rooftop, so it wasn't like trees were blocking my reception or anything.

So yesterday (Sunday), they had someone come out to "troubleshoot" my issue. The installer ended up putting up a 2nd dish (a Dish 500) pointed to 129, and he moved one of the LNB's on the Dish 1000 to that new Dish 500.

After re-peaking both dishes, I am now getting a signal strength of 68 - 87 on 129 depending on transponder. The majority of the transponders report a signal strength of 76 - 79. I don't seem to have any more drop-outs or pixelation issues on channels on 129 either.

Before, I was also getting signal strengths of 80 - 95 on satellite 119 and 75 - 85 on satellite 110. Now, with the re-peaked Dish 1000, I'm getting signal strength of 95 - 124 on each transponder on 119. Most transponders on 110 come in around 75 - 85, but one channel in particular (Documentary channel), is on 110 and I only get a signal strength of 68 when tuned to that channel.

I don't watch that channel, but am wondering if the installer peaked the dish for 119 and if I should be worried that the dish isn't properly aligned to receive the best 110 signal.

I don't think there's much that I watch on 110, though... I'm in Los Angeles. I did look for other channels on 110 (one or two locals, etc.) and found signal strength of 70 - 80 on those channels.

Should I have someone come out yet again to re-peak the Dish 1000 so it gets a better signal on 110? Or would that result in a weaker signal on 119?

Robert

Unless you have dropouts or disruption on the 110 I think you should leave it alone. The signal from 110 tends to remain steady so you should be fine. The 129 signal is about what you can hope for with two 500 dishes. Problem is the signal drops every half hour. Dish needs to acknowledge the problem and get it fixed/replaced.

I decided to change my second dish for the 129 sat out for the 61.5 sat. I used the sat meter I bought for like $29.99 at the dishstore.com and I peaked that sucker and I am now getting strengths in the high 90s and even 111 on one transponder. I used the meter to adjust my elevation as well. The chart said I should be at 40 elevation for my area. I set it at 36 and got a great signal strength consistently on all transponders. The lowest one I got was an 88 on one transponder. That sure beats the hell out of the 129 sat . With the 129 sat I might get a high of 88 and of course it would drop as the satellite moved out of its orbit and they had to fire the thrusters again to get it back.

I am in the southeast Texas area 90 miles from HOuston. I would recommend that if you can do as I have done and buy you a sat meter, that you repeak that second dish to 61.5 and set the elevation by the sat meter. See if you can get great strengths in the 90's . OF course if you need the 129 sat for your hd locals from Dish then I guess you won't be able to do that. I don't as my locals are on the 110 and 119 satellites. The bonus is that I am eligible for the CBS HD station out of New York. So now I can get that channel on 61.5 and it is in mpeg 2 . It makes the mpeg 4 Cbs station from Houston look like crap.

ONe of these days I hope that Dish learns to do mpeg 4 compression properly or the future is not bright for any dish sub, when they switch all hd to true mpeg 4 by next summer.

I needed to put a second dish to get 129. I started out using a Dish 500 but my signal was still not as strong as I would like so I went with a 30 inch Wineguard dish and it works great. My signals are in the 90s with a few 100s. I live outside Louisville KY.

Beckhamfam said:
I needed to put a second dish to get 129. I started out using a Dish 500 but my signal was still not as strong as I would like so I went with a 30 inch Wineguard dish and it works great. My signals are in the 90s with a few 100s. I live outside Louisville KY.
Which dish did you get, for how much and where? Did you use the Dishnetwork LNBF?

tjwgrr said:
2 days and counting. Still no reply to my email to Dish.....

I'm all for the 2nd dish to improve signal for 129, but I'm NOT gonna pay for it.........
If you have the Protection Plan or within the 90 install warranty, just call and tell the CSR you are having a problem with 129 signal strength. They will probably ask for the signal strength on TP 17 and if less than 60 they will sent out a tech and tell him, not the CSR, you want the 2nd dish. This is what I did and I wasn't charged and had no problems convincing the tech, but maybe I got lucky. A $20 bill might be convincing if you have a problem. The only thing is that he used the Y adaptor on the D500 and I understand is works a little better if a I adaptor is used. Ordered it today for $8 and will install it myself.

I had a 622 installation last Saturday. The installer left both dishes in place with the second dish aimed at 61.5. He claimed that I would get all the HD channels from 61.5 and that I would be missing only a couple of foreign language locals that are on the 129.

When he left, the locals still hadn't come in and they came in a few hours later. I was unable to get any HD locals and finally determined through Dish tech that they are on 129. I have an appointment scheduled for Sunday to repoint the second dish to 129. The Dish tech claims that I should get signals of 85+ with the dedicated dish because the Southern California area is right in the "footprint" of the 129 reception area. He also stated that the 129 reception for local HD's in SC is excellent -- reportedly as good as OTA. I am willing to forego the local HD's (if necessary) rather than have interrupted signals on the other HD channels. These come in very well from the 61.5.

Does anyone in the Southern California area have problems with the 129 signal?

Thanks for your input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)