18" Voom installed today in Cali-Missing sides of pic

jmhunter83

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Hey,
So I had a proficient installer today, probably the best sat installer I have ever had.

The SD channels look like crap, I had to have it stop stretching, they look a lil better (though I usually prefer strectching, this stretching was particularly bad). I hooked up through DVI since I already have my dvd player plugged into component.

The HDnews is cool, and some of the other chans.

It has updated upto 2.4 so far, every time i run update there is more for it to download.

They only put an 18" dish it, but im getting a 99-98 average signal from it, so I'm am happy, and pretty convinced rain fade shouldnt affect it too much.

The installer said he has appointment through the 10th already.

I was able to get 2 nbc's (ksbw and kntv 1-2) as well as Fox.

I think PBS is still only in part time mode. I'll see if I get that tonight.

One thing is funny, is that the picture appears to go 1" off the screen to the left and right, is there anyway to adjust that. My HD monitor probably only supports 1280 instead of 1920 or whatever.

I'm not sure how one would go about fixing that.

EDIT: is a little bit off to be expected, can this be fixed?

How do people be able to get voom out west cosidering the satellite is located at 61.5, which is located around bermuda? I wouldnt think it could reach that angle considering how far west u are in california

15 degrees off the ground, due east-guess im lucky-a lot of us out here have it. We also get the dish network's that is at 61.5. The LNB is pointed towars the ground. I get a 99 signal strength so I am not complaining.

called philips about my picture problem (tv manufacturer), they referred me to a philips authorized repair shop to take care of the problem, its covered by warentee. There is also some other picture jump issues.

houselog442 said:
How do people be able to get voom out west cosidering the satellite is located at 61.5, which is located around bermuda? I wouldnt think it could reach that angle considering how far west u are in california
You should see my dish up here in Portland, OR, it is pointing down toward the ground with an elevation of only 11 degrees. With a 24" dish I rarely lose the signal.

jmhunter83 pbs is broadcasting full time on 58 but is only sd, and if you can ksbw you probably could get kcba-dt on ch 13 and kion on ch 32. both of them broadcast hd. I am in Santa Cruz and get both of those in the mid-90's

My dish is mounted on the pole of an old ham radio antenna still on the roof. I did have rain fade with the 18" so they upgraded it to a 24".

jason1234 said:
jmhunter83 pbs is broadcasting full time on 58 but is only sd, and if you can ksbw you probably could get kcba-dt on ch 13 and kion on ch 32. both of them broadcast hd. I am in Santa Cruz and get both of those in the mid-90's

Well 32 KION(CBS) is on the other side of this lil hill next to me, so I can't get it, because u need line of site for uhf.

KCBA and KSBW i get fine, because I am 8 miles from the tower, and I have a very good LOS.

Yay, theyre coming out the 15th to put a directional UHF antenna in. We;ll see how it goes. Also I found the service menus, and adjusted the geometry. it is PERFECT now. I called philips and got an authorised service person out here who didnt do anything, literally. He checked the error codes on my tv and that was all. In the process i got the service menu code though. =)

By the way, everything on my tv looks PERFECT now. There is seperate analog and digital geometry(depending on the output).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts