180.0E Intelsat 18

clucas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Lompoc, California
I've been playing around with trying to get the Ku side of 180.0 E in California with my 29"x39" old Primestar dish. I had success but will move on now since I don't understand that much French. Just a note that Lyngsat lists a wrong symbol rate. 11155V should have a SR of 30000.

Here's the dish I'm using.
29x39PS.jpeg

France 24
France24.jpg

franceinfo
franceinfo.jpg

LCP
LCP.jpg

Retour Polynesia
RetPoly.jpg

Retour Wallis
RetWallis.jpg

Two shots of TNTV
TNTV.jpg
TNTV1.jpg

Oh fun! I did the same thing a few years ago. At that time I don't think France 24 or France Info were FTA (unless those are relays on the Premiere channels).

Reactions: c-spand
Yes, nice to watch the Festival Tahiti for a while with the dancers but once they started banging those drums I quit.

Martyn, I did see your post but was unable to add to it. I thought by using the same title on the thread it may merge or give me an error but it started a new thread.

I think the footprint gets into West Texas so if you have no obstructions the western third of the U.S. may be able to receive it.

ABC Australia is still there but on C-Band with circular polarization. Will watch The World This Week soon plus I’m watching the Food Safari series and Planet America

The Tahiti and French Polynesia are on Ku with linear polarization and the need for a universal lnb. I was going to put on my C/Ku combo feed but didn’t know how the slab would affect the Ku reception but realized the Ku in the combo is standard so it wouldn’t work.

Its either just above or just below horizon but is there any on Intelsat 19 that hits the west coast? Lyngsat only shows Ku beams to Austraila. Satbeams shows Ku beams which have a footprint that includes the west coast although no info if there anything up there to see.

I agree which is why I had never tried with the Ku dish. Even if I found it, doesn't look like there is anything there within the footprint.

LOL, I think I tried USALS long ago and its outside the range. I'll try using DiSEqC although I suspect its even outside the range of my HH motor. as most are limited to ~160 degrees or less.

Last edited:
You're right that Intelsat 19 is outside USALS range for most. I have successfully gone 67.6 degrees in the western direction (blocked by trees beyond) and 68.2 degrees in the eastern direction (no satellites with footprint beyond) using USALS. Diseqc allows a degree or two beyond those values before reaching the physical limit.

Even from Meadow Vista, it is 79.1 degrees to the west for Intelsat 19. So I guess somebody would need to manually orient their dish to the correct azimuth. Who wants to be a hero?

Added: Anybody in or near Prince Rupert, BC or Ketchikan, AK? Your USALS would reach Intelsat 19 and you also are still in the footprint. With a large C dish, you could also receive it from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr3p and c-spand
My Ku Dish is a rusty disaster. Sometime after Thanksgiving I'm going to take everything apart clean off and repaint. Before I remount on H-H motor, I'll see if I can find it.

Reactions: FTA4PA and cyberham

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)