1st Ku band dish help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bterrier

Original poster
Jun 25, 2016
CT
Hey guys,

If this topic has been discussed, I apologize and feel free to direct me to that thread. I recently acquired a used fortec star 30inch (I think) with a pansat motor and fotec star receiver. I have been researching the whole fta thing for a while prior to purchasing. I have picked up a lot of information, but could use some assistance on dish placement.

My yard is completely free of trees, however my neighbors are not. Would like to install the dish in my backyard to conceal it from the street. How clear does the los need to be? The dish needs to point generally towards the front yard and to the left. The location I would like places my house between the dish and the correct azmiuth.

Will the signal come in over my house and hit the dish? Or should I mount it on the other side of the yard?

I have 2 prospective locations.....each corner of the backyard. I will attach some photos if needed for review.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

There must be a clear line of sight between the dish surface and the satellite. Satellite signals do not pass through trees or buildings.

The satellites form an arc with the highest satellite at the top of the arc is directly south and the arc slopes off in each direction to the eastern horizon and to the western horizon. If you have a smart phone, download the DishPointer app. This overlays the arc of satellites over the camera and you can see if the satellites are visible or blocked by trees, structures or other blockage. If you don't have a smartphone, the site will provide the compass reading and elevation for each satellite visible to your area.

The receiver will work well with the 200 channels on 97w, but it is an older unit that only receives standard definition MPEG2 DVBS channels. Most other satellites and channels use a newer and different format DVBS2 MPEG 4. To receive these other channels, consider a newer receiver.

The dish is slightly small, but should work well for many satellites. Make sure that the LNBF is a linear type either universal or standard.

The motor will be fine for dishes up to 90cm (36"). Motor installs add complexity to a first time installer and we recommend that you first install the dish without the motor attached. A fixed dish is much easier to aim.

Reactions: Bterrier
:welcome to satelliteguys Bterrier
If this topic has been discussed
I'm sure they have been, but that's OK.
fortec star 30inch (I think) with a pansat motor and fotec star receiver
I'd first Install the dish without the motor to get a 'feel' for 1, receiver programming and 2 aiming the dish. Hit a few different satellites, and when this becomes 'second nature, install the motor.
How clear does the los need to be?
Perfectly, as in perfectly clear. Microwaves don't travel thru trees or houses very well. Check your LOS at www.dishpointer.com Zoom all the way in to your location. Place the marker on your possible dish locations.
Use theOptions -show obstacle (line of sight checker) marker to show the height at which an obstacle will interfere. (upper right of the 'view') Place the small marker on the obstacle, outputs interfering height.

One thing about the Fortec Star receiver. It's DVB-S only. Many newer services are now DVB-S2. Galaxy 19 @ 97W has +200 channels that are DVB-S. Unfortunately, not all are English language. Check www.sathint.com/america satellite listings for the formats used on different satellites/transponders.

Thanks for all of your input. I did not realize that the satellites form an arc. I will start with dishpointer to settle on a location and go from there.

Welcome to the site there's a lot of satellites up to watch it's fun looking for something so far away. We are here to help just ask us.

Reactions: Bterrier
Thanks everyone for your help. While I have been researching and planning to install my ku dish, I came across a few local free dishes.

They include a 48" dish, 36", 30" and one I havent measured, but it is an oval shaped dish. The oval did not come with an lnbf bracket.

So I have few questions re: the dishes I picked up.....For the 48" - Can I pick up C band with it? There appears to be a few small creases/dents in the dish. Will this affect the performance? Is it usable?

Is the oval usable for anything?

Am I better off using one of these or a combination of these rather than my fortec star dish?

Included in this lot of dishes was a motor as well.

Thought I had posted a welcome before but guess not. :oops: Welcome to Satellite Guys! Yes, you should be able to use the 48" for c band, generally called a mini-bud. You will only get the strongest transponders but that's ok. Do a search for mini-bud and you should find a lot of info and pics. That 36" might be a good dish to use for a motorized ku band setup. The 30" could be used as a stationary dish for the documentary and news channels on 95W ku. Post up some pics so we can see what you have! :)

Thought I had posted a welcome before but guess not. :oops: Welcome to Satellite Guys! Yes, you should be able to use the 48" for c band, generally called a mini-bud. You will only get the strongest transponders but that's ok. Do a search for mini-bud and you should find a lot of info and pics. That 36" might be a good dish to use for a motorized ku band setup. The 30" could be used as a stationary dish for the documentary and news channels on 95W ku. Post up some pics so we can see what you have! :)

Photos attached, (some of them need a good cleaning) :biggrin2 Thanks I will definitely try to utilize the 48".

20160701_143442.jpg
20160701_142347.jpg
20160701_142401.jpg

Reactions: FTA4PA
A nice assortment! You should do a string test on all of them to be sure there is no warpage. Pretend the face of the dish is a clock and tape strings across the surface from 12-6, 2-8 and 4-10. They should just touch but not bend against each other - a warped dish will give you fits while trying to obtain a signal. If they are slightly warped you can often use a turnbuckle on the back to make corrections. Looks like there a a few dings on the 48" which might affect performance a bit but still worth a shot mounting it to see what you can get. Looks like a good start to your FTA hobby! :)

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
Get started in ku first easier to do than mini budding once you get your feet wet than go mini budding. I can only get the strongest transponders on c band since I live in an apartment that's what I am stuck with. You have a great start just take your time and do it right no need to rush things you will enjoy this hobby and what it teaches you.

Reactions: fred555
A nice beginner's selection! Keep an eye out for a proper C-Band dish, there's no substitute for the real thing.

This piece is interesting. It's a polar mount. You can set this up and easily swing the dish manually between any of the visible satellite locations. Which dish goes with it?

20160701_143442.jpg

:welcome to the site Bterrier. Nice photos. I have heard of but not seen a Pansat dish before. The Ariza is an offset ku band dish & the rest are prime focus models.

A nice beginner's selection! Keep an eye out for a proper C-Band dish, there's no substitute for the real thing.

This piece is interesting. It's a polar mount. You can set this up and easily swing the dish manually between any of the visible satellite locations. Which dish goes with it?

View attachment 118067

The goes with the 48". Once I get up and running, I will have to give it a shot

OK, so I havent set a pole in the ground yet, but while I am waiting to get the supplies for a permanent install I rigged up a 36" dish to try for galaxy 19 with no luck.

My setup is laughable, but I shimmed a piece of plywood on a tree stump to level it out. Receiver shows 44% signal 10% signal quality. I am using a compass app on the samsung galaxy s7. No sat meter.

Receiver is Pansat 9500hdx.

Any suggestions? Do settings on the receiver affect this? I feel like my compass app is changes direction everytime I go back outside.

OK, so I havent set a pole in the ground yet, but while I am waiting to get the supplies for a permanent install I rigged up a 36" dish to try for galaxy 19 with no luck.

My setup is laughable, but I shimmed a piece of plywood on a tree stump to level it out. Receiver shows 44% signal 10% signal quality. I am using a compass app on the samsung galaxy s7. No sat meter.

Receiver is Pansat 9500hdx.

Any suggestions? Do settings on the receiver affect this? I feel like my compass app is changes direction everytime I go back outside.
Yes, settings on receiver must match the lnb on your dish. Which lnb do you have? Also, make sure you are using an active transponder while aiming your dish like 12152 H 20000. To aim your dish go to www.dishpointer.com and enter your location. Select 97w from the satellites box. Zoom in on the exact spot where your dish is and locate an object (building, tree, telephone pole, etc) that falls along the green line. That is where you want to point your dish (the azimuth). Set your elevation and lnb skew correctly and then SLOWLY sweep left, then right allowing at least 10 seconds between moves to aquire a lock. If nothing, raise or lower your elevation by one degree and repeat.
P.S. If you don't already have a manual for that receiver you can download one here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/attachments/pansat_9500hdx_manual_20110810_grey-pdf.99247/

Thanks, I just went back outside following your advice. Came back in and had 90 percent signal strength but only picked up about 3 channels.

Not sure if there are only 3 channels available right now or if it is something with my setup. Figured it would be easier to start with the smallest dish in the lot, so I am only using a 30 inch dish right now.

lnb frequency 10750.

So to try and compare, I replaced it with a different lnb.... lo of 9.75 10.60. Came back in and signal strength dropped back to 40 percent. I did adjust the lnb frequency on the receiver. Double checked the skew, still no change in signal strength.

Yea, you're on you're way!

30" is a small dish for FTA, so a reduced # of channels may result. Which channels scanned in? Put a mark in the distance to give a reference for the direction from the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts