2/8/2010 9:46pm - Uplink Activity Report - 34 changes

The issue there is if they put them on 119 then people will expect them to remain there. You would be surprised how many people only get 110/119 and not 129 or 61.5. When they got the issues fixed at 61.5 and removed the channels off of 119 there would be massive complaints.

But complaints from people with a bastard setup wouldn't be valid complaints.

Why is there, as you claim, a large number of people paying for HD when they can't get most of the HD channels if they aren't using 129 or 61.5? I must be missing something.

On the other hand, if 110/110/61.5 is no longer a valid setup (yes, I know you said they'd be moving the channels eventually, I'm making a point here), they should automatically and for free retrofit everyone with EA dishes. (Although that wouldn't work either til they fix the problem with the Scranton locals not covering the whole DMA!)

But playing devils advocate here Jim how many folks used these "bastard setups" (110/119/61.5) due to the fact that Echo 5 was a POS and folks had to decide
-do I get one dish and have dropouts and everything because the sat is junk? OR
-put up a 2nd dish and be able to see the HD I PAY for and not have any issues (weather being the exception)

Lots of folks with these setups have been customers way before EA. Hell how many of these long term folks had these setups because at the time Dish could "split" the customers locals across 2 sats. (remember that)??
The Big 4 or a few more on 110/119 and the "others" on 61.5? When I was a customer that is how Minneapolis was. Sure its been a few years now ;) but lots off folks just kept the dishes how they should be and just swapped out receivers or LNB's when they upgraded.

What they're doing to 61.5 customers is absolute BS. It's an amateur move by an enormous company. It's almost unbelievable.......

A satellite failure is a mitigating factor that could get them out of any breach scenario if the channels aren't launched by the date in the contract. I doubt that it would even come to that as the content providers are not going to waste their time, money, and "goodwill" with E* by pursuing legal remedies over a minor delay that resulted from a tech failure over which E* had no control.

* I am NOT a 61.5 customer.

It's not as clear cut as this. Maybe if there wasn't any other capacity on any other Dish satellite, then Dish could show impossibility. But mere impracticability wouldn't necessarily save them from being in breach. But it ultimately comes down to the contracts that are in place. I doubt anyhow here is privy to those.

The issue there is if they put them on 119 then people will expect them to remain there. You would be surprised how many people only get 110/119 and not 129 or 61.5. When they got the issues fixed at 61.5 and removed the channels off of 119 there would be massive complaints.

This one is a damned if they do, damned if t hey dont thing.

I find this one hard to swallow. How many people can possibly be paying for HD and not have 61.5 or 129? Talk about a waste- anyone with that setup is throwing away money. Not to mention, would Dish even allow someone to add HD with sending out an installer to add the appropriate main dish? It'd probably be much more reasonable to put everything on 119 temporarily and then add 129/61.5 dishes to those missing them before the transfer to 61.5 and 119 shuffle. Then no one would get so aggravated and the out of pocket cost couldn't be too high. (I can't believe there are that many people who sub to HD and should get these channels without a 61.5/129 dish.)

I find this one hard to swallow. How many people can possibly be paying for HD and not have 61.5 or 129? Talk about a waste- anyone with that setup is throwing away money. Not to mention, would Dish even allow someone to add HD with sending out an installer to add the appropriate main dish? It'd probably be much more reasonable to put everything on 119 temporarily and then add 129/61.5 dishes to those missing them before the transfer to 61.5 and 119 shuffle. Then no one would get so aggravated and the out of pocket cost couldn't be too high. (I can't believe there are that many people who sub to HD and should get these channels without a 61.5/129 dish.)

I have 129, but the only channel in this uplink I'll probably get is Showtime West. The others will not be in the Alaska HD package because they're not on an Alaska spot beam. If they left them on 119 they would probably add them to the Alaska HD package and Alaska and Hawaii could watch them. Most of the customers in Alaska have a small dish and all they can receive are the channels on the spot beams. I have a six foot dish and could watch them if they were added, but they won't and all I'll see is red in the guide unless there is a free preview.

I'm hoping when the new sat goes up that will change.

The "truth" to this whole mess is that charlie is saving money by only "offering" these channels to a limited amount of customers (He pays per sub). He gets to keep the 61.5 sub's money in his pocket

Going to sound like an idiot here. But my dish is the one with the "Turbo HD" logo on it. Am I ok for the upcoming channels?

I would think that that antenna would be a 1000.4 so, you are fine. When you look at the dish, from the back is it pointing toward the east? If so I am sure you are fine. You are most likely on eastern arc.

Thanks for the info. Should I have dish upgrade me or should I just wait for 61.5 to have these new channels??

Josh

If you don't want to do the work yourself, I'd wait until the day after the channels go live then talk with the CSRs.

Going to sound like an idiot here. But my dish is the one with the "Turbo HD" logo on it. Am I ok for the upcoming channels?

Go to your system info screen...can't remember off hand but it will show the satellite positions you have installed. But if you only have one dish I'm sure you are good to go as it is either a WA or EA dish. The only setups that won't get it are the type using a Dish500 and wing dish.

Anybody in VA using a Dish 300 for 129? If so, what signal strengths are you getting, and what settings??? If this blizzard ever goes away, i may have to try seeing if i can see 129 temporarily w/o my garage getting in the way :(

This sux 'cuase I've really been looking fwd to the new ones... :(

Before I snagged a Dish1000 I had a Dish300 pointed at 129 with no issues. Very easy to point and tweak.

Maybe I am over simplifying this whole thing but..... I called for an install in 2007, they said if I wanted HD I had to get 61.5 because the 129 setup(old 129) was not an option in my area. They said this is what I needed for HD. Now we on 61.5 are told " no new HD for you" unless you pay. Bottom line, they installed what was needed,not my choice. I am at 61.5 because that is where they put me. Why should I be punished for that? My bill will be the same as the 129 folks in my area and they get HD locals on top of that...I do not! Defend Dish all you want but these facts seem simple enough to me.

There are a lot of those "bastard setups" around here. Lots of people who got HD but still have one or more secondary MPEG2 receivers, and the market initially had HD locals only on EA.

Quick and dirty solution for us seems to be add another dish for either 129 or 72.7. At one time I was able to get 129 on my ghetto superdish500 but last time I tried it was unsatisfactory. I'll go repossess the inlaw's 61.5 dish I installed back then, they have a 1000.2 and the stuff they need is on 129 now anyway.

Lots of folks with these setups have been customers way before EA. Hell how many of these long term folks had these setups because at the time Dish could "split" the customers locals across 2 sats. (remember that)??
Yup, except I've been a customer even longer than that! I originally installed my wing dish for international programming. Yes, it was semi-useless for a couple of years before I went HD. I even used it to subscribe my mother to Sky Angel for a year or two before they went terrestrial.

Maybe I am over simplifying this whole thing but..... I called for an install in 2007, they said if I wanted HD I had to get 61.5 because the 129 setup(old 129) was not an option in my area. They said this is what I needed for HD. Now we on 61.5 are told " no new HD for you" unless you pay. Bottom line, they installed what was needed,not my choice. I am at 61.5 because that is where they put me. Why should I be punished for that? My bill will be the same as the 129 folks in my area and they get HD locals on top of that...I do not! Defend Dish all you want but these facts seem simple enough to me.

You do realize that Dish hasn't done anything yet? I mean opinions are fine but we should at least wait for the deed to be done before complaining.

That said, and assuming that these channels are not available to those of us with the 110/119/61.5 setup, I would only cut Dish some slack in this if this was an unavoidable action due to unexpected circumstances. There has been no evidence presented that this is the case; even if 61.5 won't handle the stations one option would appear to be putting them on 110/119 temporarily.

Regardless, we don't have control over what Dish does. And it appears that Dish may be saying to those of us with 61.5s "what are you going to do about it, leave"? So all we have control over is what we do.

I'm sure I paid more than you to get my system setup($750 just to plant the six foot dish) and I get less HD than you do now, hopefully we'll both get the same amount of HD once the new sat goes up and they move things around. I don't remember Dish promising me that I would get every HD channel that they air, I would like them and I'm sure once they have the space I will.

What if the order of events had been:

- Dish puts new channels on 129 and 61.5
- 61.5 satellite has failure of several transponders

Most would then be saying " Wow, unavoidable disaster. " and would be appreciative of whatever steps Dish would have taken to mitigate the effect.

In this case, what Dish is doing is:

- Moving a satellite over to take over the load
- Making the channels available on a different slot, so if any channel is important to you, you can swing a dish over to there.

PS I am glad that no one has agreed with the guy who stated the creepy perspective - "If I can't have them, no one should have them". :eek:

PS I am glad that no one has agreed with the guy who stated the creepy perspective - "If I can't have them, no one should have them". :eek:

If you're referring to me, you're putting words in my mouth, and I'm going to have to ask you to stop.

I never said that noone should have them. I said that they should either wait til they could be put on 61.5, or automatically and without charge upgrade everyone to EA. What's so difficult to comprehend about that? I did not at any point say that they shouldn't add channels.

What if the order of events had been:

- Dish puts new channels on 129 and 61.5
- 61.5 satellite has failure of several transponders

Most would then be saying " Wow, unavoidable disaster. " and would be appreciative of whatever steps Dish would have taken to mitigate the effect.

In this case, what Dish is doing is:

- Moving a satellite over to take over the load
- Making the channels available on a different slot, so if any channel is important to you, you can swing a dish over to there.

I'm certainly not saying that. I just think their should be some kind of compensation.

When I signed up for Dish HD in 2006, I had no idea what a Dish 1000 was to request one. They showed up and put a wing dish up there. Heck, it is mounted in such a way that I doubt I could just repoint it to 129. The 110/119 dish is in the way.

I'd be happy with a small bill credit or some free premiums for a few months, along with an acknowledgment that this isn't fair, and that they will fix it as soon as they get a sat at 61.5.

I'd be happy with a small bill credit or some free premiums for a few months, along with an acknowledgment that this isn't fair, and that they will fix it as soon as they get a sat at 61.5.

And they could do the credit in tiers so that I get more, since I get less HD than you!