2/8/2010 9:46pm - Uplink Activity Report - 34 changes

The specs for the 1000.4 dish states that it's designed to receive signals from 61.5, 72.7 and 77.

Will it also receive signals from 72.5?
Yes, the dishes we have don't have the size to focus tightly enough to differentiate spacing that tight, but Dish doesn't use any satellite at 72.5 so I believe the receiver ignores those signals.

72.5 was being used by DirecTV. Dish is using the new Nimiq 5 satellite at 72.7. As D* vacates the slot they're leasing, the transponder frequency licenses at 72.5 are being turned over to Dish for use at 72.7.
? said:
Does it require a special LNB?
(lost the question, but that was essentially it) 72.7 and 77 can be picked up with regular DBS LNBs.

Kind of.. your receiver is can tune DirecTV signals just not decrypt them but in the first place those transponders are not even setup in the tables to you receiver will not even tune...it won't even let you try to tune to them on the point dish screen.

I can tell you this though... a Dish300 or Dish500 without I-bracket is not the best dish to use at 72.7 since 77 will bleed over a bit, but not as bad as someone trying to use a Dish300 on 77 since 72.7 is much stronger.

Just get a Dish1000.4 and call it done.

Read post 4 of this thread. I explained it in full detail.

I did read that, but this conversion/shuffle over for E14 is not going to happen for a while until it is launched or close to launch. I don't understand why they couldn't put it up there temporary until E6 gets over to 61.5 and then just remove it. At least us customers would have something.

It just really pisses me off that I won't be able to get these new HD Channels for a while. I just feel screwed, and am upset. I just feel like Dish should of done something about this, so this didn't have to happen.

I did read that, but this conversion/ switch over for E14 is not going to happen for a while until it is launched. I don't understand why they couldn't put it up there temporary until E6 gets over to 61.5.

It just really pisses me off that I won't be able to get these new HD Channels for a while. I just feel screwed, and am upset. I just feel like Dish should of done something about that.

Quit whining and go outside and swing your Dish over to 129°. Should only take like 10 minutes. I had a spare Dish300. I brought my pansat outside. Plugged in 12516,20000 set the elevation to 46 and within a few seconds i had a lock. Your a sat guy. You can do it.:D

On second thought maybe you can't your in Maine.:eek:

A lot of us get our HD locals on 61.5. I am not gonna get to excited about this as I think Dish will take care of this problem. If in a couple of weeks a plan is not evolving I will make a dish config modification.

I did read that, but this conversion/shuffle over for E14 is not going to happen for a while until it is launched or close to launch. I don't understand why they couldn't put it up there temporary until E6 gets over to 61.5 and then just remove it. At least us customers would have something.

It just really pisses me off that I won't be able to get these new HD Channels for a while. I just feel screwed, and am upset. I just feel like Dish should of done something about this, so this didn't have to happen.

Well the kinda did take care of this...72.7 covers the area well. Here's the deal..they can't load up 119 since they need that TP for the shuffle. So no putting it there. Put it on 61.5? Sure...cram it in there. TP dies next week...then what? Pull it off and piss off a ton of people?

The triple combos they have been supporting for a while causes so many issues. I'm glad they are moving away from the 110/119/61.5 pseudo WA/EA mixture. Going to pure WA and EA setups gives them so much flexibility to move things around for future expansion and any technical issues.

129 footprint doesnt reach northern Maine ;)

129 would probably work "ok" if you could get LOS to it in Maine.

I'm in that dma area. Is it KWES Channel 9 in HD?

Kinda easy when that's the only one not lit up ;)

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

A lot of us get our HD locals on 61.5. I am not gonna get to excited about this as I think Dish will take care of this problem. If in a couple of weeks a plan is not evolving I will make a dish config modification.

Correct..a lot people do get locals from 61.5 which is why they put up 72/77 to create a one dish solution of the locals that are only on 61.5. The EA dish creates an excellent "look angle" for the East coast compare to the WA arc and even DirecTV in some cases.

But the easiest solution would be to slap in a Dish1000.4 and call it done. Even if 77 doesn't work well in Maine, there really isn't much there except PPV's and HD locals and few other minor channels. From what I hear anyways, virtually everything except for the HD locals on 77 will move to 72 by the end of March.

Or do a 110/119/61.5/72 setup.

I am astounded at how many people here feel "if it doesn't affect me, to hell with the rest of you!" It's not whining. It's a legitimate complaint! Those of us who have had service for ages, paying the most for the highest level of service just got hit with the largest price increace EVER by Dish. Within a week, Dish then decides to launch channels in such a way that those of us who just got hit with a monstrous price increase get screwed good and hard while jackasses on this board point, laugh and say we are a bunch of whiners.

It is unfair to the CORE! For anyone to defend such a practice of surreptitiously adding services to some and keeping it secret from others in the hopes no one will notice the misdeed is as low as any human can get. Anyone who defends such a move is lower than those soulless, unscrupulous low-lifes initiating the inexcusable business practice. And please don't tell me you'd feel the same if it was you who were getting the royal shaft!

What is the remedy? For one DON'T HIDE! Tell those affected. If it's as few people as some say then Dish needs to CALL these people and offer the fix to receive all the channels being paid for! If that would cost Dish too much, then they need to find another fix. How about $4 off a month until the service is restored to the same as those able to receive the channels?

I understand Dish's issues with 61.5, but the customer should not be made to pay for something he is not getting either!

But like lemmings, those unaffected will just sit by quietly and murmur about how those affected do nothing but "whine". It's the Human condition. If it doesn't affect me, don't get involved.

That is all I will say on this subject. To all of you getting the new channels, enjoy.

I am astounded at how many people here feel "if it doesn't affect me, to hell with the rest of you!" It's not whining. It's a legitimate complaint! Those of us who have had service for ages, paying the most for the highest level of service just got hit with the largest price increace EVER by Dish. Within a week, Dish then decides to launch channels in such a way that those of us who just got hit with a monstrous price increase get screwed good and hard while jackasses on this board point, laugh and say we are a bunch of whiners.

It is unfair to the CORE! For anyone to defend such a practice of surreptitiously adding services to some and keeping it secret from others in the hopes no one will notice the misdeed is as low as any human can get. Anyone who defends such a move is lower than those soulless, unscrupulous low-lifes initiating the inexcusable business practice. And please don't tell me you'd feel the same if it was you who were getting the royal shaft!

What is the remedy? For one DON'T HIDE! Tell those affected. If it's as few people as some say then Dish needs to CALL these people and offer the fix to receive all the channels being paid for! If that would cost Dish too much, then they need to find another fix. How about $4 off a month until the service is restored to the same as those able to receive the channels?

I understand Dish's issues with 61.5, but the customer should not be made to pay for something he is not getting either!

But like lemmings, those unaffected will just sit by quietly and murmur about how those affected do nothing but "whine". It's the Human condition. If it doesn't affect me, don't get involved.

That is all I will say on this subject. To all of you getting the new channels, enjoy.

Tony, while I feel your pain and would also be pissed if it was me (I probably won't be getting any of these channels on Absolute), it's not the end of the world. Dish will get these channels switched over "soon". And tell me, what programming on these particular channels is so damn compelling that we have people freaking out? And freaking out big time. Is there nothing else to do in Maine but watch Retroplex? I realize everyone has been eagerly awaiting and anticipating new HD channels, and everyone will have these channels eventually. Hell, what about those folks in Hawaii and Alaska that have had to deal with this situation for a long time? Were you and others out there calling DISH on their behalf?

Relax folks, it's only TV, and for chrissakes, these channels aren't that damn special.

PS - I am in no way defending DISH, but I am saying let's put this in perspective to the world and real life.

PSS - Remember VOOM? ;) They took that away, some of us got real pissed and wasted a lot of energy to get nothing. And still paid the same amount of money. And here we still are today....

Last edited:
Quit whining and go outside and swing your Dish over to 129°. Should only take like 10 minutes. I had a spare Dish300. I brought my pansat outside. Plugged in 12516,20000 set the elevation to 46 and within a few seconds i had a lock. Your a sat guy. You can do it.:D

On second thought maybe you can't your in Maine.:eek:

I did try to swing it over to 129. I didn't get a thing over there.

Josh