2 More Weeks!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Indy said:
Who needs the DVR at the moment? I love Voom so don't get me wrong here. I am only making an observation. If you are concerned with time shifting that is one thing the DVR is the answer to. If you are trying to save a program to watch it again why bother? It will be shown over and over and over in a couple of months time span. There is only so much HD original programming being produced right now and I believe we as Voomers get to see it all, multiple times.

The DVR WILL come and when it does I am certain it will be one hell of a piece of fine engineering. Just remember Voom has always been on the bleeding cutting edge of things and I am sure we will all be impressed when the DVR does finally roll out.
I'm with you, in the sense that the DVR isn't of much importance to me. But we probably shouldn't minimize its importance to those to whom it does matter. The DVR Discussion forum, and many threads elsewhere, are filled with folks who feel this is indeed a pressing need. Many people even seem to believe the introduction of the DVR will immediately lead to a large increase in subscribers (I kinda have trouble believing that, but who knows?). If it will indeed entice large numbers of new subs, I say by all means get it out ASAP -- but when I say ASAP I mean as soon as it's the "one hell of a piece of fine engineering" of which you spoke.
As far as time-shifting being unnecessary due to the frequency with which shows are repeated, that is certainly true when it comes to Voom exclusives and other channels, but not necessarily so with the networks. I think many guys would like to watch one program while recording another. Or record the whole night if for some reason you can't be in front your television on Wednesday night. The networks don't seem to repeat the prime time programs quite as frequently (nor as soon after the original air date) as other channels, leaving the viewer a little lost if he misses an episode of a show with a season-long story arc. Same thing with repeat viewing of a program -- some folks just love to go over an episode with a fine-tooth comb looking for "clues" as to what may happen in future episodes, or for hidden meanings in what they just watched. To each his own I guess.

I am a current E* customer and want to move over to Voom. Right now the only thing holding me back is V*s lack of a DVR receiver. Once they launch it, I will probably make the jump then if they offer a reasonable deal on it since it has been my experience that new customers get better deals than current ones...

I want the DVR mainly for OTA, but in regards to the multiple content showing, true, but you still can't pause it to go get a beer or drain the beer or let the dog out or answer the door, etc. Plus, you have to wait 3 hours for the show to repeat, if not longer.

I've been using my SD PVR to record most of my Voom stuff. Since Voom does not have razor sharp HD, it's not that big of a loss in PQ to view it at 480p.

Indy said:
Who needs the DVR at the moment? I love Voom so don't get me wrong here. I am only making an observation. If you are concerned with time shifting that is one thing the DVR is the answer to. If you are trying to save a program to watch it again why bother? It will be shown over and over and over in a couple of months time span. There is only so much HD original programming being produced right now and I believe we as Voomers get to see it all, multiple times.

The DVR WILL come and when it does I am certain it will be one hell of a piece of fine engineering. Just remember Voom has always been on the bleeding cutting edge of things and I am sure we will all be impressed when the DVR does finally roll out.

Sir, I've had a DVR with 105 hours of recording time for over 3 years now. I use a DirecTV UltimateTV DVR. If you've never used a DVR, you cannot understand why it's hard to live without one. Therefore my switch to Voom will be bitter-sweet until the DVR is release.

TheTimm said:
I'm with you, in the sense that the DVR isn't of much importance to me. But we probably shouldn't minimize its importance to those to whom it does matter. The DVR Discussion forum, and many threads elsewhere, are filled with folks who feel this is indeed a pressing need. Many people even seem to believe the introduction of the DVR will immediately lead to a large increase in subscribers (I kinda have trouble believing that, but who knows?). If it will indeed entice large numbers of new subs, I say by all means get it out ASAP -- but when I say ASAP I mean as soon as it's the "one hell of a piece of fine engineering" of which you spoke.
As far as time-shifting being unnecessary due to the frequency with which shows are repeated, that is certainly true when it comes to Voom exclusives and other channels, but not necessarily so with the networks. I think many guys would like to watch one program while recording another. Or record the whole night if for some reason you can't be in front your television on Wednesday night. The networks don't seem to repeat the prime time programs quite as frequently (nor as soon after the original air date) as other channels, leaving the viewer a little lost if he misses an episode of a show with a season-long story arc. Same thing with repeat viewing of a program -- some folks just love to go over an episode with a fine-tooth comb looking for "clues" as to what may happen in future episodes, or for hidden meanings in what they just watched. To each his own I guess.

All I can tell you is that once you have become acustom to a dual tuner DVR, you will never want to be without it.

I do believe that people are holding off on Voom because of the lack of the DVR and that subscriptions will rise much faster after it's release.

I think at the point you were this morning I would have had the installer mount the dish to a cinder block out in the backyard where a signal could be obtained and run the wires on top of the ground to the house. Move the dish at a later date.

I've been a DirecTV TiVo user for over three years, but haven't ponied up for the HDTV DirecTiVo yet. I've been thinking getting Voom to fill our HD needs, but am waiting for a PVR with TiVo-like functionality.

I'm glad to see that Voom is continuing operations and look forward to seeing what their DVR has to offer.

I have both Directv and Voom. I am waiting for the Voom DVR so I can drop Directv's (compressed HD) service all together after 12 years of service. That is one sure way Voom can keep me as a loyal customer for years.

A dual-tuner HD DVR for $10 per month is all that's keeping me with Comcast right now. I work nights and weekends, and without this miracle machine I'd have missed the Super Bowl, next Sunday's Daytona 500, and more movies than I can count.

I'm hoping Voom pulls through and gets the DVR out the door sooner rather than later. Once you've had one and tasted the joys of anytime TV -- not to mention skipping commercials or backing up and pausing shows to repeat mumbled dialog or settle arguments -- there's no going back.

I'm on the DVR boat too. I could possibly contemplate dumping cable completely except for interenet service, based on VOOMs content, but without a DVR, there isn't a chance.

Lob

Lobstah said:
I'm on the DVR boat too. I could possibly contemplate dumping cable completely except for interenet service, based on VOOMs content, but without a DVR, there isn't a chance.

Lob

I agree, look for Voom to blossum after the DVR is release...

Does anyone have any numbers on just how many cable/satellite subscribers use DVR's -- or a percentage of how many people use them? Just kinda wondering if I'm the only person out here uninterested or if the numbers around here are kinda skewed due to the fact that we're a bunch of TV/HDTV fanatics around here (not to mention that this is in the DVR Discussion forum, which would seem to attract those interested in DVRs). Any numbers, either totals or percentages? :confused: For example, how many of Direct's - what is it? 12 million? - subscribers use their DVR?

Well Tivo has 2.3 million subscribers and they figure half of them are Directv subs. That doesn't take into account tivo owners who have a standalone tivo and use it with directv, but it's a good rough estimate.

Let's not ignore people with SD who have just grown accustomed to VCRs...

Timm and Calivin&Hobbes...I don't have the answer to Timm's question, but another aspect of the DVR that I think is important is that most everyone by now has experienced time-shifting, commercial skip, "back-it-up-a-minute", etc. with at least a VCR.

Most of them probably don't have HD TVs, but VCRs have provided a convenience they have grown accustomed to, and probably now feel is necessary to their busy lives. I know I do.

Those who are contemplating moving to HD will want that capability in HD if they're going to spend that kind of money, and those who have SD and don't anticipate a change in the immediate future will STILL want that capabililty.

It seems to me to be pretty widely accepted in tech circles that VCRs are on their way out, giving way to DVDs and DVRs. I have 3 aged VCRs. I don't want to replace any if them...I'm hoping for a VOOM DVR to replace them! Tivo owners (BUD, OTA, cable, as well as satellite) are probably looking for the same thing. IMO!! I think the VOOM DVR could be highly instrumental in hitting the home run we all want.! :D Vicki

TheTimm said:
Does anyone have any numbers on just how many cable/satellite subscribers use DVR's -- or a percentage of how many people use them? Just kinda wondering if I'm the only person out here uninterested or if the numbers around here are kinda skewed due to the fact that we're a bunch of TV/HDTV fanatics around here (not to mention that this is in the DVR Discussion forum, which would seem to attract those interested in DVRs). Any numbers, either totals or percentages? :confused: For example, how many of Direct's - what is it? 12 million? - subscribers use their DVR?

I can't imagine who wouldn't be interested.
I have been a DirecTivo user for over 4 years now. I have 2 in my home. We really don't watch un-time shifted TV. I just recently subscribed to Voom, and my wife gets crazy annoyed with live TV. having a lil toddler around makes tv waqtching a pain w/o DVR.

jmhunter83 said:
I can't imagine who wouldn't be interested.
I have been a DirecTivo user for over 4 years now. I have 2 in my home. We really don't watch un-time shifted TV. I just recently subscribed to Voom, and my wife gets crazy annoyed with live TV. having a lil toddler around makes tv waqtching a pain w/o DVR.
That shows quite a lack of imagination! :D But I suppose I understand what you mean.
When I say I'm not interested I don't mean to imply that I would refuse a free one. But time-shifting isn't important enough to me that I would spend a thousand bucks (or even a couple hundred) to be able to do it, or select a provider on the basis of whether or not they can provide me the means to do so. Nor would I be willing to have my monthly bill increase by even as little as ten bucks a month for the DVR.
I'm just trying to get an idea of how many folks may potentially switch to Voom with the arrival of a DVR. I figured that would be current DVR users with other providers (thought process being if they don't use the DVR with their current provider, it must be something else keeping them from Voom). Calvin & Hobbes estimates DirectTV tivo-users to number over a million. Okay -- that's more than I would have guessed, and if Voom can lure even a tiny fraction of those guys to switch due to introduction of a DVR it's definitely worth it. Thanks Calvin.
Another question : Calvin & Hobbes mentioned owners of standalone Tivos who use it with DirecTV. Is it safe to assume you can't do this with Voom?

Another question : Calvin & Hobbes mentioned owners of standalone Tivos who use it with DirecTV. Is it safe to assume you can't do this with Voom?

You can indeed use a stand-alone TiVo with Voom, but it is of course SD only. I think you'll find many people on this forum have purchased a TiVo (or ReplayTV) as an interim solution pending release of a Voom HD-DVR.

CDH.

My wife was initially skeptical of the value of a DVR. Since Charter required no commitment, we signed up to give it a try. I can assure you that as long as one provider offers a DVR, if we could only have one, they would win, period.

Being able to watch the shows/content that YOU want to watch WHEN you want to watch it completely changes the experience. I figure I have maybe $5K invested in my components? An extra $10 for Charter's HD + HD-DVR package is a no-brainer now.
No more surfing...excpet if we want to watch news or weather.

I'd say right now our viewing is split between cable/VOOM about 80/20...maybe even 90/10, and it's almost entirely because of the DVR.

Lob

Lobstah

Ditto.

I had the same scenario with my wife.

I would however say the HD DVR makes all the difference.

I would not go for Tivo, even as a temporary solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)