2 questions about "Progressive" display.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HBKbiggestfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
I just discovered tonight my Panasonic DVD player is actually not Progressive Scan, which sucks. Here is my first question, Why in the hell do some DVD players WITHOUT Progressive Scan have Component Video output? (Red/Blue/Green) What is the point? Component output is nothing really unless it's 480p or HD. Secondly, I was wondering what format is best to view standard definition D* channels on my HD Widescreen TV. 480i or 480p? I would think it would be 480p, but i thought maybe standard def. is meant for 480i. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah I've run into component conenctions that weren't progressive as well. My Brother was this sony SD tv that has component imput but they're aren't progressive, so you can't use DVD players that output progressive over component

Well, I have S-Video and Component connected, and I've tried both. S-Video seems to be less "Pixely" than Component. It's the Panasonic DVD-A120. But what is the point of these players having the component output? Makes no sense. And any idea on my second question?-I have something to add to the question...How about SD channels in 1080i? Is that also possible better than watching them in 480i or 480p? Which format is best for Standard Definition channels?

Last edited:
I have a 32" Sony with component that isn't progressive. The pic quality is still very good thru the component watching DVDs. It basically allows me to free up the 2 sets of composite/svideo inputs for the DTivo and Xbox which is worth it. I also have a cheap Magnavox DVD player at work that has component outputs, but it isn't progressive scan. Go figure.

HBKbiggestfan said:
Well, I have S-Video and Component connected, and I've tried both. S-Video seems to be less "Pixely" than Component. It's the Panasonic DVD-A120. But what is the point of these players having the component output? Makes no sense. And any idea on my second question?-I have something to add to the question...How about SD channels in 1080i? Is that also possible better than watching them in 480i or 480p? Which format is best for Standard Definition channels?
Actually thats what I meant with the S-Video answer, try them all then decide which is best for your situation.

I've seen DVD players with component out before I ever saw DVD players that supported progressive scan.

Component video does help with 480i. Even on my 20" TV in the bedroom I notice a difference in color and sharpness using component over s-video.

The TV is a Toshiba 20AF41 Standard Def. NTSC TV. It does not support progressive scan at all, yet still has component inputs.

Also check the manual, a lot of DVD players come with progressive scan turned off.

It doesn't matter if your DVD player is progessive or not... as long as your display device can deinterlace the 480i signal properly. In fact some people turn of progressive scan in their DVD player because their display device 'deinterlaces' better.

Jerry

purwater said:
I have a 32" Sony with component that isn't progressive. The pic quality is still very good thru the component watching DVDs. It basically allows me to free up the 2 sets of composite/svideo inputs for the DTivo and Xbox which is worth it. I also have a cheap Magnavox DVD player at work that has component outputs, but it isn't progressive scan. Go figure.

I have that same TV for our main television if you mean the 32" flat screen Wega tube TV. I do the same thing. My DVD player is on component, and my D* Receiver is on the S-Video. I can't tell a difference on either one. I my opinion this television is the best picture I have seen on any standard definition TV.

joedekock said:
I have that same TV for our main television if you mean the 32" flat screen Wega tube TV. I do the same thing. My DVD player is on component, and my D* Receiver is on the S-Video. I can't tell a difference on either one. I my opinion this television is the best picture I have seen on any standard definition TV.

Yeah it's the Wega flat tube CRT. Not sure of the model number but it was $850 just a few years ago which would get you a low end projection HDTV today. The picture quality and color is still great. It has the best SD pic quality that I have seen anywhere. If only it didn't weigh half a ton. :)

More info/opinions on SD D* channels. 480i, 480p, or 1080i? those are my options. To me I cant' see much difference in eiter, but I wanna see if there is a preference among people. Here is one more thing to add to it. Native on or off? (Native is when your revciever automatically switches formats when switching between SD and HD.) I think most everyone has this option, but do any of you use it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.