2 receivers one lnb and diplexing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyingfrankie

Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
orlando
HI THERE FRANK HERE

HAVE A GLOBECAST SE-830 :)rolleyes:) AND JUST PURCHASED A VIEWSONIC SV-360 ELITE PVR. I ONLY USE THE SAT RECVR FOR DUTCH TV (BVN TV) ON THE AMC4 SAT. I BOUGHT PVR TO START RECORDING MY (1) CHANNEL. HAVE IT PROGRAMMED AND WORKS FINE ON ITS OWN. MY HOUSE RUNS THE REGULAR CABLE TV/INTERNET CABLE FROM THE OUTSIDE TO INSIDE EACH ROOM. I AM ONLY USING 2 ROOMS FOR TV. I USED TO HAVE THE GLOBECAST RECVR HOOKED UP WITH ITS OWN DESIGNATED CABLE TO THE DISH/LNB TO THE ONE ROOM. NOW I WOULD LIKE TO HOOK UP THE SONICVIEW PVR TO THE OTHER ROOM WITH THE SAME (1) LNB. HOWEVER THIS ROOM ALSO GETS ITS CABLE TV INCL HDTV THROUGH ITS CABLE. DID THE DIPLEXER THING IN THE PREVIOUS ROOM WITH GLOBECAST RECVR AND WITH CABLE TV AND IT WORKS FINE. WILL ONLY USE THIS ONE CHANNEL (VERTICAL/ 3/4 / 12120 / 30000) NO MOTOR ETC. CAN I SPLIT THE LNB SIGNAL WITHOUT A PROBLEM FOR THE CABLE/HDTV FOR THE OTHER ROOM? HELP!

welcome :wave

please turn off the caps lock next time...it thinks you be shouting ;)

If all you use the satellite receiver (s) for is BVN then sure you can get by with splitting the LNB since its only for one channel. Now you have to diplex it twice (once for each receiver) but it should work....not really the best option but should work

If your local Cable provider has no programming at either ch3 or ch4 you can inject your reciever' output directly to the whole house by just connecting it to a tap on the house splitter through a directional tap. mcm electronics has them. You can get a powermid remote extender from x10.com to place the reciever in the basement or a utility room. Sadoun sells a very nice digital modulator if you want to place your reciever on an unused channel elsewhere. I have two recievers on two seperate channels, and a third on ch4, all in the utility room.

crap youre right.....you could do that too. I have the output from my starchoice receiver diplexed in with my OTA...so I can see either OTA or starchoice

Ice;
Got some time off for xmas, I should make a drawing of my setup and start a new thread. I'm interested in how you, a certain green lizard and others have solved the clutter issue that piques our spouses.

Last edited:
Well , it has been all up and running for a while. One LNB splitted and then diplexed twice. So 2 tv's capable of watching my BVN TV. Now just one problem with the sv-360 pvr. In the event-programming menu, it will not take my scheduled event. all parameters are filled in (basically, I want it to record this one channel every day for 12 hrs from 12 am to 12 pm) when I press apply to make it happen it says everytime : "you should be set all time parameters" (exactly like this!) Well they are all set: Daily, 1200AM, 1200PM, 1200hrs duration. There are no other parameters. what's the matter? Even trying shorter duration or "once" instead of daily has the same result. help.

Try making four 6-hour recordings.
Or, try making six 4-hour recordings.
Just set up for the same 4 or 6 hours every day, and see if that works.
If it does, then set up the next time slot.
Some receivers have a maximum time they will record, but I don't know about yours.
As as last exercise, try making it record 2 hours per , and enter that enough times to cover your 24 hour day.

I've tried that as well, even down to 1/2 hr just to see if it would take it, but it will still not let you "apply" the scheduled recording. This PVR Elite does have a max rec time of 12hrs according to the manual,so that should be ok.

I do not know your PVR, but I had a VCR many yaers ago that did not recognize 12:00, nor did it recognize 00:00 in 24 hr time, but it did see 00:01, 11:59, 12:01 and 23:59, so if that is the case here I would try 00:01 to 12:01 (or 11:59) and see if that will work. My Glorysat DVR requires 24 hour time, also, but I have not tried zero minute start or stop since I figured out the OLD VCR. (30+ year habit!)

Back in town and tried everyones tips but no joy. It lets you set the start and stop time and uses am/pm format, no 24hr format available. Tried the 12:01 11:59 trick with no luck either. But if I press record on in the menu it comes up with the cuuert time as start time and if i modify that it now shows up as a daily event for recording and with 12hrs. so I'll see if it starts tonight alright and let you know. Maybe the firmware has to be updated? thx

Well, have used the systems on the one cable for a while but starting to have regular problems with the cable tv. Was advised by the (pretty savvy) cable tech that although I have it hooked up right with those diplexers, the modern hdtv /dvr cable boxes are sensitive and it causes problems. So I used a seperate line that goes from the outside to another room that happens to have the plug right on the otherside of the wall and pulled that cable to the livingroom tv cabinet and have now a seperate cable for cable tv and sat signals should be good now I hope. Anyone else problems diplexing cable tv and sat signals?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts