2 routers / 1 Modem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Been scatching my head again.

I want to connect 2 routers to the modem. Router #1 will be VPN'ing full time, and router #2 is the standard config.

I tried: Modem--> switch--> Router #1 and Router #2. Can ping and connect to both routers yet can't connect.

Using DDwrt firmware on both.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, K

Do you want everything to go out of your house over the VPN, or is that just for a subset of your traffic? I would set the one router without VPN up as your primary router, connecting to the modem with your private credentials with the ISP. Then the router with VPN is set up to bridge connections through the first one to avoid the double NAT problem. Anything connected through the 2nd router would be reaching the Internet on the other side of the tunnel.

If you want everything to go through the secure VPN then reverse the scenario I outlined above. Whatever you do, disable the DHCP on the secondary router.

I have the setup you want. My primary router is direct connect to local ISP. Second router VPN to Miami and the third router VPN to London.

Depending on what IP I need I connect to the router using WiFi.

Both VPN routers are connected from a LAN port on the primary port to the WAN port on the VPN routers. DHCP server is enabled on all three routers. Each network is in a different subnet so it is not possible to share files between networks.

If you want a simplier set up look at the dual gateway routers from Sabai Technology.

I have the setup you want. My primary router is direct connect to local ISP. Second router VPN to Miami and the third router VPN to London.

Depending on what IP I need I connect to the router using WiFi.

Both VPN routers are connected from a LAN port on the primary port to the WAN port on the VPN routers. DHCP server is enabled on all three routers. Each network is in a different subnet so it is not possible to share files between networks.

If you want a simplier set up look at the dual gateway routers from Sabai Technology.

Am pretty sure I tried this setup. I was able to ping/connect to each router but no the internet. I'll try again tonight. Thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)