2000' Tower repair-Natl Geo tonite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
On Toughest Fixes tonite at 8pm C on National Geographic, the story is repairing
a 2000' TV tower someplace. Thought it might be of interest to some of us tv nuts.
Enjoy!

I watched that episode before... Think it was somewhere in South or North Dakota...but I'm not sure. Pretty good episode to show how they do things.

Blur>it was SD,
I thought it was brand new show, haha. Everything's in reruns now I guess.
That was a nice view from the tower, though I never would've made it up there!

I watched that episode before... Think it was somewhere in South or North Dakota...but I'm not sure. Pretty good episode to show how they do things.

If it was in NoDak that would be the KXJB & KVLY tower (CBS & NBC in Fargo/Grand Forks) which is over 2000 feet high

I watched it. Can't remember the call letters but was an NBC station. Thanks for the reminder to watch it. Very interesting show.

Thanks for the heads up, turbosat. I just watched the program with great interest and trust the crew, host and cameraman were greatly compensated. I wonder why at OTA TV frequencies the antenna needs to be so massive. It must be one heck of a collinear vertical array.

I searched for the propagation graphics for the antenna and have not been successful. At that height there needs to be some downward lobes to service the locale while minimizing the wasted radiation angles into space, yet the antenna does not have an inverted ground plane "hat." I wonder how it is all engineered.

I remember watching a bunch of guys scraping and painting a tower once. It wasn't near that tall but I still wouldn't want to do it either. Blind

I watched that show last night. I'm still tense this morning, first from the height, but also from all the things that could have gone wrong. I was a lineman for the phone company back in the late sixties, 20-30 ft, but that tower is unbelievable. I don't want to be a crab fisherman either (the show that followed).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)