2007 Big Ten versus SEC Thread

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Well, it's once again that time of year when the Big Ten and SEC duke it out (a la Scott Greczkowski at a Polish Beauty Pageant) for bragging rights and, more importantly, the National Championship. This year features three (3) key match-ups...once again, with the SEC having home field advantage in all three games:

The Games:
Wisconsin vs Tennessee in the Outback Bowl (Tampa), 1 Jan 2008, 11:00am
Michigan vs Florida in the Capital One Bowl (Orlando), 1 Jan 2008, 1:00pm
Ohio State vs Louisiana State in the Tostitos Bowl (New Orleans), 7 Jan 2008, 8:00pm

The History: The Big Ten currently trails the SEC in the series 61-70-5. Of course, if you drop OSU from the Big Ten ranks with their dismal 3-10-1 record, seven straight losses, then it's practically a draw, 58-60-5.

Big Ten Team Record vs SEC:
Michigan 12-4-1 (.735)
Minnesota 6-3-0 (.666)
Penn State 4-2-0 (.666)
Indiana 20-19-0 (.513)
Iowa 3-3-0 (.500)
Michigan State 5-6-1 (.458)
Purdue 2-4-0 (.333)
Wisconsin 3-7-1 (.318)
Northwestern 2-7-1 (.227)
Ohio State 3-10-1 (.250)
Illinois 1-5-0 (.166)

Total: 61-70-5 (.467)

Riff's Picks:

Tennessee - Sorry Wisconsin, but I don't think you'll be able to keep up with a talented Tennessee team. Prove me wrong!

Michigan - first, Florida is scary good...just didn't have that little "something" to win the big games. Michigan has underperformed and underwhelmed all year...plus, Florida will be playing in front of a largely home crown in Orlando. Three reason I think Michigan will beat Florida: they perform well against the SEC, Michigan beat Florida just a few years ago, Hart/Henne should be healthy, Carr's final game, Florida can't seem to close-out the big ones this season.

Ohio State - yep, history (horrible record versus SEC) and home field advantage are against the Buckeyes. However, Tressel (their sweater vested wearing coach) will be going head-to-head with Les Miles, a Michigan man. Game, set, and championship!!!

Big Ten wins this years series and the national championship...feel free to discuss.;)

The home field advantage this is hogwash. That is were the bowl is located and IF the team does not want to go, they can EASILY decline, but knowing how greedy schools are, they is never gonna happen. Also, if I am not mistaken, tickets are shelled out evenly. Something like 30% apeice to the schools, 20% to locals and 10-20% to the NCAA.

In the words of Dukey V. "I'm pickin the SEC".........."Baby"

Well, it's once again that time of year when the Big Ten and SEC duke it out (a la Scott Greczkowski at a Polish Beauty Pageant) for bragging rights and, more importantly, the National Championship. This year features three (3) key match-ups...once again, with the SEC having home field advantage in all three games:

The Games:
Ohio State vs Louisiana State in the Tostitos Bowl (New Orleans), 7 Jan 2008, 8:00pm

The History: The Big Ten currently trails the SEC in the series 61-70-5. Of course, if you drop OSU from the Big Ten ranks with their dismal 3-10-1 record, seven straight losses, then it's practically a draw, 58-60-5.

Big Ten Team Record vs SEC:
Michigan 12-4-1 (.735)
Minnesota 6-3-0 (.666)
Penn State 4-2-0 (.666)
Indiana 20-19-0 (.513)
Iowa 3-3-0 (.500)
Michigan State 5-6-1 (.458)
Purdue 2-4-0 (.333)
Wisconsin 3-7-1 (.318)
Northwestern 2-7-1 (.227)
Ohio State 3-10-1 (.250)
Illinois 1-5-0 (.166)

Total: 61-70-5 (.467)

Riff's Picks:

Tennessee - Sorry Wisconsin, but I don't think you'll be able to keep up with a talented Tennessee team. Prove me wrong!

Michigan - first, Florida is scary good...just didn't have that little "something" to win the big games. Michigan has underperformed and underwhelmed all year...plus, Florida will be playing in front of a largely home crown in Orlando. Three reason I think Michigan will beat Florida: they perform well against the SEC, Michigan beat Florida just a few years ago, Hart/Henne should be healthy, Carr's final game, Florida can't seem to close-out the big ones this season.

Ohio State - yep, history (horrible record versus SEC) and home field advantage are against the Buckeyes. However, Tressel (their sweater vested wearing coach) will be going head-to-head with Les Miles, a Michigan man. Game, set, and championship!!!

Big Ten wins this years series and the national championship...feel free to discuss.;)

uh, dude, two words for you.......timmy tebow!:)

i'll take wisconsin, florida and ohio state. i can't imagine tressel would want to get throttled by another SEC team two years in a row!

I can see home field advantage for Florida and LSU, but Tennessee? Sure Wisconsin is much further, but I wouldn't consider a 10+ hour drive from Knoxville to Tampa to be home field.

All I know is that all three should be great games.

Wisc/Tenn is a pick'em but I'll give Tenn the edge. Wisky is all run and turnovers (I'm talking to you Eric Ainge!) will be the deciding factor (short field)

Fla/Mich: This one has such a great storyline from last year. Plus, Carr on his way out and a healthy Henne/Hart looking for their first bowl win, its hard not to pick UM. BUT...........its Tim Tebow!! Unless its a shootout, I can't see the Mich defense stopping anybody, especially against the run.

OSU/LSU: Hard to pick this one too. LSU will feel at home but the buckeyes always travel! Match-up of the two best D's in the land IMO. Looking for a low-scoring game in this one. I can't put bias aside for this one so no pick here ;) Just going to leave this note: I LOVE the fact that everyone is counting the buckeye's out. Mark May, keep yapping.....your just helping OSU get motivated. Constantly remind this team that they don't belong, that they will be blown out and your just adding fuel to the fire! Remember 2002 and remember that this is the year of the underdog. If they are not suppose to win, this year they do :)

I love CFB!!!! No matter who wins, lets just hope for some great games!

The fans showed up in Glendale AZ. Evidently, the team forgot to make the trip :)

I was in tempe in 2002 and that stadium was 70% + OSU fans. That city was taken over!

Two Words

GO ILLINOIS!

Attachments

• Caitlynn holloween 080.jpg
    Caitlynn holloween 080.jpg
    685.8 KB · Views: 186
  • Caitlynn holloween 064.jpg
    Caitlynn holloween 064.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Caitlynn holloween 077.jpg
    Caitlynn holloween 077.jpg
    958.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Caitlynn holloween 085.jpg
    Caitlynn holloween 085.jpg
    973.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Caitlynn holloween 074.jpg
    Caitlynn holloween 074.jpg
    893.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Caitlynn holloween 110.jpg
    Caitlynn holloween 110.jpg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Caitlynn holloween 112.jpg
    Caitlynn holloween 112.jpg
    938.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

The Games:

I say Wisconsin, Florida, and LSU all win in Big2/SEC matchups.

In all honesty however, I think every team is so banged up and/or disillusioned from the previous season that they don't perform like they would've during the year.

Geaus Tigers!

It's really a shame that major conferences don't play more meaningful games against one another prior to conference play. I am not sure who the SEC beats up each year, but the Big Ten usually beats up on the MAC the first 2-3 games each year. I don't know about you, but I can do without those Michigan vs Eastern Michigan and Ohio State vs Toledo matchups.

What's really amazing is this will be first and only games between these two conferences...:(

I have to disagree with all the picks. I would say Wisconsin, Florida and LSU.

I agree. Lloyd Carr has a horrible bowl record, and Michigan seems to under perform in recent years in Bowl games.

I personally believe Ohio State is over rated... especially on offense. They have a great defense, but their offense could not put up enough points to over come Illinois. Their offense also struggled against Michigan State's awful defense and OSU only won by 7. LSU has played 7 ranked teams this year compared to Ohio State's four. So LSU has more quality wins. And I don't care how you dice it, LSU has a tougher offense, and their defense is not far behind Ohio State.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)