2008-09 College Bowl Season

The fact that Notre Dame won a bowl game and Michigan didn't make a bowl game may have also contributed.

There were some good games- Holiday, Alamo, Fiesta, Cotton.

However, the Sun Bowl, normally a fun, high-scoring game- may have been the most dreadfully boring bowl game I've ever seen,

That did it for me.

Did you guys happen to see the Oklahoma girl crying in the stands? Fox's cameras focused in on this girl for several seconds. Poor girl.....

ougirl02.jpg

ougirl03.bmp

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the game last night? I kept thinking to myself "USC would smoke either of these teams..."

I kept thinking to myself "USC would smoke either of these teams..."

I say, "If only USC doesn't gag against inferior teams."

USC, for some reasons, has an inability to run the table in the last three years.

I say, "If only USC doesn't gag against inferior teams."

USC, for some reasons, has an inability to run the table in the last three years.
We make too much of USC 's losses. Everyone, besides Utah, has an inability to run the table. Even with the best players it's hard to maintain focus week in and week out. Everyone gags sometimes. Florida gagged against Ole Miss.

BREAKING NEWS: "Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, shortly after leading the Florida Gators to the BCS College Football Championship, announced that he would forego his senior season at Florida, and ascend directly into heaven.

Immediately after making his announcement, Tebow was bathed in a blinding white light, and promptly disappeared."

BREAKING NEWS: "Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, shortly after leading the Florida Gators to the BCS College Football Championship, announced that he would forego his senior season at Florida, and ascend directly into heaven.

Immediately after making his announcement, Tebow was bathed in a blinding white light, and promptly disappeared."
HAHAHAHAHA, good one. :up

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the game last night? I kept thinking to myself "USC would smoke either of these teams..."
Actually I kept thinking how how much Florida's defense would have shut them down as well.
Both Oklahoma and USC owe their high scoring games to inferior defenses within their conferences.

:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha

Really??!! IF he was, he wouldn't have a job and THE MOST important sports magazine in the United States and one fo the top magazines in the world. And Jsaon Whitlock is no different than Reilly. LOL!!! Whitlock calling Reilly a fraud is the equivalent of "pot meet kettle.....kettle, shake hands with pot....."! LMAO!

I read ALL sports writers and columnist the same, ALL will say something you agree with and disagree with ALL the time. By calling a writer a hack is just show your bias against them....period. They are ALL the same.......

Didn't realize that ESPN the Magazine has moved to the top of Sports periodicals.:)

Like I said, if you like him fine no argument there. IMO though he and Jay Mariotti are the two worst national sports columnists out there.Have no bias against Reilly he's even made points I agree with, but to me he still remains an overhyped substandard columnist.

The majority of his pieces are less than thoughtful, usually insanely over the top, very poorly written and extremely self serving. Unfortunately this now passes as entertainment or even worse insight.

Last edited:
Of all the guys on here who weighed in with their thoughts during the bowl season, I probably was the biggest loser- nobody has worse bowl luck than me.

Consider:

In terms of picking winners, I was only 500- 16 of 32.

Texas Tech lost

Big 12's reputation was shot

Big East lost and ACC won, giving Sam and David more ammunition

David won the pool

An SEC team won ANOTHER national title

Didn't realize that ESPN the Magazine has moved to the top of Sports periodicals.:)

Like I said, if you like him fine no argument there. IMO though he and Jay Mariotti are the two worst national sports columnists out there.Have no bias against Reilly he's even made points I agree with, but to me he still remains an overhyped substandard columnist.

The majority of his pieces are less than thoughtful, usually insanely over the top, very poorly written and extremely self serving. Unfortunately this now passes as entertainment or even worse insight.

But Reilly use to write for Sport Illustrated...and they ARE one of the top sports periodicals in the world. :rolleyes:;)

I am curious, why do YOU consider them "substandard"? It is HIS opinions with access that neither YOU nor I have. Do YOU have access to dugouts, clubhouses or lockerrooms? By calling a columnist "substandard" means their opinions are inferior to yours. You may not think they are "less than thoughtful, poorly written and extremely self serving"....but it ain't no different than what YOU, ME or ANYONE ELSE in here writes....oh yeah, the difference is...they get paid for it.;)

And it IS entertaining, even if it IS a point that I totally disagree with...and it IS insight, which is another word for opinion....so it makes you look somewhat arrogant that you are making issues about someones opinion....everyone, even sports writers have a right to have one....even if they get paid to do...;)

Dude I havent' said that Reilly should be barred from writing, nor be stopped from sharing his opinions. I've said I think he's overrated and less than insightful.

That's all, you obviously like him and that's fine, it's a dead issue for me.

Actually I kept thinking how how much Florida's defense would have shut them down as well.
Both Oklahoma and USC owe their high scoring games to inferior defenses within their conferences.

Offense was not USC's strength this year. They lost too many key players, especially linemen, after the 2007 season. The Rose Bowl game was the offense's best showing all year, especially their passing offense.

This year their defense was superior. Next year, probably not. They are losing all their starting linebackers and most of their secondary. Next year their offense should be great, but there is a reasonable chance they will lose their QB (not decided yet). That would hurt them.

You think Florida would have shut down USC. Maybe. But I believe USC would also have shut down Florida.

Anyway, it's over for this year. Congratulations to all the Bowl winners, especially to Florida, USC, and Utah who all showed they can win the really big ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts