2008 World Series.......Phillies vs. Rays

Ohio State vs Penn State

Saturday, 8 pm, ABC

It doesn't effect the Bucks game on Saturday October 25th whatsoever.

The half hour segment by Obama is to take place on Wednesday, October 29th from 8pm-8:30pm. So far, the networks confirming to carry it will be NBC, CBS and Fox.

From MLB....
In order to accommodate the half-hour TV ad Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., purchased for Wednesday October 29, Fox has requested and received permission to delay the 6th game of the World Series by 15 minutes.

The Hollywood Reporter and the Los Angeles Times report that Major League Baseball today granted Fox's request to delay the start of the game from 8:20 pm ET to 8:35 pm ET.

CBS and NBC have also agreed to run the 30-minute campaign ad.

Might as well be. Rays-Phils will be the lowest rated series of all time except perhaps in Philly and Tampa-St. Pete.

Might as well be. Rays-Phils will be the lowest rated series of all time except perhaps in Philly and Tampa-St. Pete.

That's a shame, because if that's the case, people will be missing out on a very compelling series.

Regarding the game times, I udnerstand the time for weeknights and I understand why not to have the game duringt he day on the weekend, but why not have a first pitch ~7pm on Sat/Sun? That makes it significantly less late for folks on the East Coast (which which likely be the bulk of the viewers given the involved teams) and is still pretty accessable to Weast Coast folks and even helps with the "children staying up late to watch games" dynamic. I don't really understand the rationale for such late starts on Sat/Sun.

Regarding the game times, I udnerstand the time for weeknights and I understand why not to have the game duringt he day on the weekend, but why not have a first pitch ~7pm on Sat/Sun? That makes it significantly less late for folks on the East Coast (which which likely be the bulk of the viewers given the involved teams) and is still pretty accessable to Weast Coast folks and even helps with the "children staying up late to watch games" dynamic. I don't really understand the rationale for such late starts on Sat/Sun.

+1:up There is no reason why the weekend games can't start at 7pm ET on weekends.

Why is there an 8:50 start ?
On a Wednesday no less ....

and we can't even get DAY games on the weekend

Just another stupid idea from MLB and the money hungry network

Agreed, weekend games should be during the daytime. How can kids watch the World Series with those late starts, no wonder MLB is losing fans.:rolleyes:

"Should be" and "can be" are worlds apart at MLB. This is an argument you cannot win. Left coasters are happy with the start times because they can watch at least the end of most games. East coast viewers hate it. (MLB claims evidence to the contrary). As long as FOX is in the drivers seat, earlier start times aren't going to happen. I don't get it. I never have. If the NFL can start the Superbowl at
6:15 or something close to that, why in the h--- does MLB think it is a good idea to wait till nearly 9 p. to start. It would be one thing if the games were over in 2 hours but it is closer to 4 for most games and 5 for some.

Not to go off topic a bit but I want to respond to the above post about the Super Bowl being at 6:15. It wouldn't surprise me if in 10 or 15 yrs. that the Super Bowl doesn't start at 8 or 8:15 pm. It just wouldn't surprise me. Even though they say that everyone will see it, it's just a pain in the ass for a lot of people. Taking the Super Bowl out of the equation, all the tv execs for sports rather start a game at 8 pm and get let's say, a 10 rating and be happy, instead of starting a game at 1 or 4 pm and get a 15 or 16.

That's just the way it is BUT THAT HAS TO CHANGE!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

Not to go off topic a bit but I want to respond to the above post about the Super Bowl being at 6:15. It wouldn't surprise me if in 10 or 15 yrs. that the Super Bowl doesn't start at 8 or 8:15 pm. It just wouldn't surprise me. Even though they say that everyone will see it, it's just a pain in the ass for a lot of people. Taking the Super Bowl out of the equation, all the tv execs for sports rather start a game at 8 pm and get let's say, a 10 rating and be happy, instead of starting a game at 1 or 4 pm and get a 15 or 16.

Mets,
I doubt you'll ever see a Super Bowl move from the current 6:15/6:30 start time. The three networks that rotate the SB, all covet that window in between the SB and the local news, as a huge ratings booster.

Last edited:
World Series Factoid:

The only player, on either team, with a World Series hit in his career is Phillies backup outfielder, So Taguchi.

You would not get higher ratings with an afternoon start. If a game got a 10 rating with a primetime start it would likely only get a 4 or 5 with an afternoon start. Trust me all this stuff is ratings driven. If a network thought they'd get a bigger rating at 3 AM that's when games would be scheduled. Look at the Olympics. NBC saves all the good stuff for primetime and they get huge ratings to justify it. The ratings for their afternoon and late night coverage were garbage.

Anders, good reply. Thank you for your insight. I just think that they should make it a little convienent for people to watch the games. They just start so late and end so late. For people who have to get up and go to work in the morning, you could live with it if it happens a little bit but this is every sport (except NFL), every game, every year, it's hard for some people.

Anders, good reply. Thank you for your insight. I just think that they should make it a little convienent for people to watch the games. They just start so late and end so late. For people who have to get up and go to work in the morning, you could live with it if it happens a little bit but this is every sport (except NFL), every game, every year, it's hard for some people.
I hear you. It's tough to schedule these games and please everybody. What I can't get over is the fact that WS games used to be played exclusively during the day. I mean night baseball began in the 30's and the first night WS game wasn't until 1971. Think of all the great moments like Bobby Thompson's Shot Heard Round the World, Don Larsen's perfect game, Mazeroski's walk off HR that virtually nobody got to see because they happened in the middle of the afternoon. Even worse there was no such thing as ESPN to replay the highlights.

That's a shame, because if that's the case, people will be missing out on a very compelling series.

It's not a shame...it's an assumption. The ONLY people that MIGHT come out losing is the networks and the advertisers. Whatever money that was due to MLB, they got that check a VERY long time ago.

Baseball fans a very strange fans, they moan and bitch about how they hate a team and don't want certain teams in the postseason...but IF the team they hate DOES make...then 'the series is gonna suck'....MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!!! LOL!:mad::p;)

Last edited:
Agreed, weekend games should be during the daytime. How can kids watch the World Series with those late starts, no wonder MLB is losing fans.:rolleyes:

If by "losing fans", you mean "setting attendance and revenue records", um yeah MLB is doing terrible. :rolleyes:

Also, for people who want to argue the "children don't watch MLB any more" argument: have you ever been to an MLB game? From my experience, the number of children who attend MLB games easily exceeds the amount that attend any other sporting events -- and that's on a per game basis (when you consider how many games per year MLB has, the total number of children attending has got to be very high). Lots of potential new fans are being exposed to the sport, even if kids don't stay up til the end of World Series games.

It's not a shame...it's an assumption. The ONLY people that MIGHT come out losing is the networks and the advertisers. Whatever money that was due to MLB, they got that check a VERY long time ago.

Baseball fans a very strange fans, they moan and bitch about how they hate a team and don't want certain teams in the postseason...but IF the team they hate DOES not make...then 'the series is gonna suck'....MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!!! LOL!:mad::p;)

Of course I want my team in the Series, but if that doesn't happen I'll root for a good and/or compelling matchup.

It's my opinion that this series has both, and I for one am really looking forward to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)