2008 World Series.......Phillies vs. Rays

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Of course I want my team in the Series, but if that doesn't happen I'll root for a good and/or compelling matchup.

It's my opinion that this series has both, and I for one am really looking forward to it.

My bad...I worded the passage you highlighted incorrectly. But I agree with you on your statement. I MEANT to say: IF the team they hate DOES make the WS...then 'the series is gonna suck'

brainfry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2008
Lexington, KY
"Should be" and "can be" are worlds apart at MLB. This is an argument you cannot win. Left coasters are happy with the start times because they can watch at least the end of most games. East coast viewers hate it. (MLB claims evidence to the contrary). As long as FOX is in the drivers seat, earlier start times aren't going to happen. I don't get it. I never have. If the NFL can start the Superbowl at
6:15 or something close to that, why in the h--- does MLB think it is a good idea to wait till nearly 9 p. to start. It would be one thing if the games were over in 2 hours but it is closer to 4 for most games and 5 for some.

The October sun in Florida is a beautiful thing to behold. Too bad the games are at night AND the Rays play inside.

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2008
MA
WORLD SERIES PITCHING MATCHUPS

WEDNESDAY: GAME 1

Phillies (Cole Hamels) at Rays (Scott Kazmir)

8:35pm ET on FOX/ FOX-HD

THURSDAY: GAME 2

Phillies (Brett Myers) at Rays (James Shields)

8:20pm ET on FOX/ FOX-HD

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2008
MA
PHILLIES vs. RAYS

STARTING PITCHING:

The Phillies have the best pitcher in the series, but don't have the depth that the Rays have. SLIGHT EDGE: RAYS

BULLPEN:

This is a tough call. The Phillies have the lights out closer and a very good setup corps, but the Rays are LOADED with answers in the 'pen. From the left side they have Howell, Miller and Price (my AL Rookie of the Year in '09). From the right side the Rays can throw Bradford, Balfour, Wheeler and usual starter Edwin Jackson. That's a deep bullpen, but the Rays don't have a Brad Lidge either. EDGE: EVEN

LINEUPS:

Rollins, Victorino, Howard, Utley, Burrell and Werth vs. Iwamura, Upton, Pena, Longoria, Crawford and Baldelli (he will start against Hamels and Moyer), is a great combination of power and speed. EDGE: EVEN

SERIES PREDICTION:

Phillies take game 1, Rays take game 2, Phillies take 2 out of 3 in Philly and Rays win games 6 and 7 back at the Trop. RAYS in 7.

These two teams are very evenly matched, and I give the Phillies the edge in games 1 and 5 with Hamels pitching.

But I like Shields, Garza and Sonnanstine a little bit more than Myers, Moyer and Blanton. That and homefield will be the difference, IMHO.

Best of luck to both teams!!! :up:up:up

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Hopefully, we'll have our first competitive Fall Classic since 2003

(From 2004-2007, the losing team in the Series won ONE TIME combined!)

anders5189

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 11, 2008
Rays all the way. Philly is cursed. I see the ghost of Mitch Williams making an appearance in this series.

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2008
MA
Tonight's Starting lineups:

PHILLIES
Rollins, ss
Werth, rf
Utley, 2b
Howard, 1b
Burrell, lf
Victorino, cf
Feliz, 3b
Coste, dh
Ruiz, c

Hamels, p

RAYS
Iwamura, 2b
Upton, cf
Pena, 1b
Longoria, 3b
Crawford, lf
Aybar, dh
Navarro, c
Zobrist, rf
Bartlett, ss

Kazmir, p

CharlesO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 12, 2003
Agua Fria, Arizona
The problem MLB has with the it's times for playoffs and the World Series is the pre-game fluff, the actual first pitch is around 8:25pm ET, add the commerical load and the game is likely to end past midnight ET. The problem is that FOX and all networks rely too much on the overnight ratings as a measure of success, 6 of the 25 top TV markets are in the Pacific Time Zone and playing earlier then 8pm ET will leave 2 hours of primetime programming on the West Coast open.

But I agree with others, the Sat/Sun games should be moved to 7pm ET.

CharlesO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 12, 2003
Agua Fria, Arizona
Series Matchup and Prediction:

STARTING PITCHING:
Phillies have the Ace, but Rays have the depth. Moyer's performance in Game 3 will be key...SLIGHT ADVANTAGE RAYS

BULLPEN:
Both teams are deep and versatile, but Phillies have the more accomplished closer...SLIGHT ADVANTAGE PHILLIES

OFFENSE:
Rays became very HR dependent in series against Red Sox, the cold nights in Philadelphia could chill the Rays Bats. Phillies a more scrappy team with timely hitters Victorino and Utley the spark plugs and playing in a dome with fake turf would add to team speed...ADVANTAGE PHILLIES

DEFENSE:
Phillies defense up the middle undervalued, Rays play basic defense but speed and positioning cover the flaws...SLIGHT ADVANTAGE PHILLIES

MANAGERS:
Manuel is a by-the-book type and will stick with what works. Maddon despite the older look, is a chance taker and gut instinct type of coach more so with the pitching then the position players. It will be interesting to see Maddon's tactics if the Rays fall behind in the series...SLIGHT ADVANTAGE PHILLIES

INTANGIBLES:
The Dome advantage may not be the edge the Rays think. The Phillies less dependent on the HR and have speed on the bases to negate the turf edge. Meanwhile, HR friendly Citizens Bank Park may not be so accommodating with the cold nights of October now in effect, the 2-2-1-1-1 series format isn't the road team disadvantge of the LCS 2-3-2 format...SLIGHT ADVANTAGE PHILLIES

PREDICTION:
Rays must become less HR dependent to compete against Phillies more even lineup. Jaime Moyer pitching in Game 3 may be the kink in Phillies ointment, Hamels become a true edge if the series goes seven. But I don't think it goes that far....PHILLIES IN SIX.

skysurfer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 1, 2006
Think of all the great moments like Bobby Thompson's Shot Heard Round the World, Don Larsen's perfect game, Mazeroski's walk off HR that virtually nobody got to see because they happened in the middle of the afternoon. Even worse there was no such thing as ESPN to replay the highlights.

I'm glad I live in a "ESPN Highlights" era. It must have stunk to have to wait about 5 days for the mule to show up with the film reel with the highlights of Don Larson's perfect game, Maz's series-winning walkoff homer, or Thomson's shot heard around the world! :D

Sideshow Bob - I disagree with your kids statement. Have YOU ever been to a ballpark lately??? At my minor league park, it seems the kids go because their parents don't want a babysitter so the kids tag along or the kids want to play on the fun-jumps or other amusements or stuff their gut with ballpark fare. I don't see very many kids in attendance who are there to watch and enjoy the action on the field. The kids nowdays are off into video games or watching/playing streetball or football.

Anders5189: "Ghost of Mitch Williams" remark. I see the future and it's Brad Lidge. He's been way too perfect this offseason and I"m waiting for him to blow up.

CharlesO - I hope we get a free taco day on Nov 28th! I can't believe the President of Taco Bell doesn't even know when the free taco day is! Thank goodness Taco Bell should have good lawyers that Oct 28th is the only free taco day (too bad the President of Taco Bell's word is not his bond, similar to the vast majority of suits nowdays).

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2008
MA
Phillies in great shape here.

They can bring Hamels back out for the 8th (he's only thrown 100 pitches) or can turn it over to Ryan Madson...............then there's Lidge for the 9th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts