2009 British Open

What a great tournament. The amazing 59-year old Tom Watson needed a par on the 18th to win The Open but wound up with a bogey and lost a 4-hole playoff to Stewart Cink. Watson hit an excellent 2nd shot into the 18th green, but the green wasn't holding and the ball ran into a swell behind the green. Tom needed an up-and-down and decided to putt uphill from an inch or two into the rough, which turned out to be a mistake.

Still...U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I got to caddy for Joe Garagiola in Tom Watson's foursome at J.P. McCarthy Celebrity Tourney at the Wabeek Country Club (Detroit area) in '79 or ''80. Tom and Joe were great guys! It was a one-day event to raise money for the Detroit Police Athletic League and fun was had by all: the pro, the celeb, the schlubs paying $$$$$ (back when Detroit used to buid cars and had money) to golf with them, and the caddies too. The foursome was classy, funny, courteous, and had a good time playing for charity. The following year I caddied for a PGA Tour Pro who won maybe one or two events in his 15-year career. The guy was a real dick and nobody had any fun. For the life of me I cannot recall the guys name. Go figure!

What a great tournament. The amazing 59-year old Tom Watson needed a par on the 18th to win The Open but wound up with a bogey and lost a 4-hole playoff to Stewart Cink. Watson hit an excellent 2nd shot into the 18th green, but the green wasn't holding and the ball ran into a swell behind the green. Tom needed an up-and-down and decided to putt uphill from an inch or two into the rough, which turned out to be a mistake.

Still...U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E.

Tom later said in the post game press conference that more than any shot, he will be 2nd guessing his second shot on the 18th. He said any other time he would've hit a 9-iron from that distance. Instead he hit an 8. And wouldn't you know it, he hit it solid and he ended up off the back of the green. If he would've hit the 9, he most likely would've been on the green with 2 putts for par and the tournament win.

Also, as soon as Tom struck that putt, you could tell he didn't hit his 8 foot par attempt very firm at all. Poor Tom. If only he would've swung through the ball! Oh well. I couldn't even begin to imagine how nervous he must've been in that pressure situation.

It sure would have been nice to see this years Open in HD instead of that upconverted SD stuff...especially if Tom Watson wins.

BBC Promises Open Championship in HD next year.......

Despite inexplicably choosing to broadcast this year's British Open in standard definition, the BBC pinky swore at a news conference Wednesday that next year, all would be in high definition, it just hadn't been ready yet to invest in HD cameras. As it is, even with thorough widescreen coverage from ABC & TNT, and DirecTV dropping in one of their snazzy HD Mix channels for the event, we'll still know deep down that we're not watching it in the best quality available. So, F1, you're on deck, no excuses.

British TV not sold on HD just yet - Los Angeles Times