2009 Men's NCAA Basketball Tournament

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
But the biggest thing is when he made a back room deal with ownership that he wouldn't take the job of head coach/GM, unless he had the title of president also.

There was one problem with that, the legendary Red Auerbach was president. But Ricky Boy didn't care, as long as his enormous ego was stroked everything was good!

And after ALL THAT, he left the Celtics in worse shape than they were when he arrived.

Worse than the Pre-KG 2006-07 nightmare team that had that awful losing streak?

99.999999% of his time in Boston was a failure- I'd give it 100%, but he did get Paul Pierce.

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Paul is a Michigan man not MSU. It can sometimes be hard for a Michigan fan to cheer for an in state rival.

That being said the Final 4 will be rocking with State playing in front of an home state crowd.

Paul will have to clarify, but I thought he had ties to State Basketball, although we all know where his heart lies for College Football.

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2008
MA
Worse than the Pre-KG 2006-07 nightmare team that had that awful losing streak?

99.999999% of his time in Boston was a failure- I'd give it 100%, but he did get Paul Pierce.

No offense, but this will be my last post on this subject... in this thread. I don't want to hijack the thread any further than I already have.

Anyways, Pierce was drafted #10 in the '98 draft. There was no great management decision there, he fell into Pitino's lap.

Many people believed that the only reason Pitino left Kentucky for the Celtics(besides the money and power :rolleyes:), was he was so sure that the Celtics were going to land the BIG Fish in the '97 draft.............Tim Duncan. The Celtics had monumental odds in their favor that the ping-pong balls would go their way. Instead they ended up with the #3 and #6 picks in the draft.

They drafted Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer who were both very good rookies (especially Billups), but Pitino had ZERO patience with them.

Again, Pitino thought that he was going to ride into Boston and rescue the once proud Celtics while riding on Tim Duncan's coattails..................fate had other ideas!

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
As I was watching the end of the Michigan State game, when I saw Magic Johnson was watching the game live in Indy, two thoughts came to me:

1. It's nice to see some former players still support their alma mater after so many years.

2. How fitting and poetic is it that the Spartans made it to the Final Four thirty years after the famous year of 1979?

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
UNC is just pounding Oklahoma.
Imagine Blake on a team like Duke, oh god, that be amazing.
Anyways, I think next year Oklahoma needs to get more depth on their lineup, they need some people that can make shots, Blake can't run the whole team by himself.
They need some reliable 3 point shooters, and they need some good 2 point shooters too, if they keep relying on one person, Final 4 is as far as they will go.
UNC is looking good.
Villanova has a good Offense, but how will they do on D against a team like UNC? Not even the Griffin brothers can keep them contained.

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
UNC back in the Final Four for a second straight year.

At least I got ONE regional pick correct!

We have two teams many people picked to get here- UConn and UNC- and two teams that could be considered as surprises- Michigan State and Villanova.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
The only team that I can see beat UNC at this point would be UCONN.
Michigan ST is great, but their D will get torn apart against UNC.
Michigan ST does have good shooters, but I doubt that will make a difference.
D is what wins championships.
Could this be a blowout next Saturday? Villanova vs UNC?

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
Speak for yourself, Sabres. At the beginning of the Sweet 16, I had 14 out of the 16 teams. As of right now, I have only one team left, UNC!!!! !@#@$@#@:eek::eek::mad:

anders5189

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 11, 2008
Carolina just sent the nation a message about why basketball is a TEAM game! Blake Griffin is a great player, but he had no help today. Carolina destroyed Oklahoma in spite of Tyler Hansbrough getting held to a season low 8 points. And for all the haters who say Carolina doesn't play defense they need to realize that these Tar Heels do guard people. Next stop Motown!

09FinalFour.jpg

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Anders, thats not true, the reason Oklahoma didn't win is not because the Tar Heels D, but because they were horrible at 3 pointers, clearly they were not making shots, even with wide open looks.

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2008
MA
The only team that I can see beat UNC at this point would be UCONN.

That's what I said wayyyyyyyy back in early November. Now here we are 5 months later and it looks like we have come full circle................................maybe.........................................

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2008
MA
2009 Final Four
at Ford Field- Detroit, Michigan

Saturday, April 4

National Semifinal- Game #1
2 Michigan State vs. 1 UConn- 6:07pm ET (CBS-HD)

National Semifinal- Game #2
3 Villanova vs. 1 North Carolina- 8:47pm ET (CBS-HD)

Monday, April 6

National Championship Game
Semifinal winners- 9:21pm ET (CBS-HD)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts