2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Dad goes in to the hospital.... Check.... Get cannned Check.... Detroit beats Chicago... Check....

Being down in the dumps to scrap your way back just to get knocked back down.. Priceless

Visa, where Chicago fans want to be. :D

Wow chicago just cant catch a break..

Detroit scores in OT- they're up 2-0, but let's be careful- look what happened with the Caps.

Going up 2-0 in a NHL series is no sure thing.
As usual, the Wings had the best road records in the league this year and they usually go into the other team's venue focused on the job at hand. To be honest, I am usually more worried about them taking care of business on home ice during games 1 and 2 than I am about their play the road during games 3 and 4.

In any case, the Chicagoans had their "A" game today. It should be a good series if they can match their level of play while at home.

As usual, the Wings had the best road records in the league this year and they usually go into the other team's venue focused on the job at hand. To be honest, I am usually more worried about them taking care of business on home ice during games 1 and 2 than I am about their play the road during games 3 and 4.

In any case, the Chicagoans had their "A" game today. It should be a good series if they can match their level of play while at home.

I agree ... playing at home they (most teams) try to win the game, but also want to put on a good show ...
Wings have done that many times , you can see it when they pass the puck around tring for the perfect play instead of firing the puck when a shot is available, they often pass up a good oppertunity to try for a perfect one.

How is it they looked pretty bad? That was tough game. the D look great, and Ozzie was very very good. Not sure what game you were watching.

How is it they looked pretty bad? That was tough game. the D look great, and Ozzie was very very good. Not sure what game you were watching.
I don't think they looked bad...instead, I do feel they looked sluggish, which brought about some sloppy play and the fact they sometimes appeared to be skating with concrete skates.

Although the Wings had a tough 7-game series with Anaheim, they looked like they had "fresh legs" after a 3-day rest going into Game 1. However, I feel Detroit's 30+ legs skated much more tired than Chicago's 25- legs. While the Wings were able to take advantage of some critical Blackhawk errors (Cleary and Sammy's break-away goals), they looked a step or two slower than Sunday. If you don't believe me, just wated a few minutes of games 1 and 2. I just watched portion of both, and I am convinved the team were tired from the Anaheim series.

In any case, I feel the Wings will skate much harder after having an extra day off before going to Chicago. And thank goodness we're not going out to the West Coast for more of those 1 and 2 am games. :)

I just wanted to mention there was finally a nice article about Ozzie today at ESPN. You know, this guy is Top 10 in regular season wins, Top 10 in Playoff victories, has an outstanding career GAA, is looking to win his 4th Stanley Cup, and will probably wind-up his Hall-of-Fame career in the Top 5 in career wins...yet, this guy gets so little respect in the media. All the opposing goalies get (many without 10% of Ozzie's credentials) are showered and praised by the pundits, and all Ozzie gets are the victories. Go figure!

In Ozzie we trust! ;)

this guy is Top 10 in regular season wins, Top 10 in Playoff victories, has an outstanding career GAA, is looking to win his 4th Stanley Cup, and will probably wind-up his Hall-of-Fame career in the Top 5 in career wins...yet, this guy gets so little respect in the media. All the opposing goalies get (many without 10% of Ozzie's credentials) are showered and praised by the pundits, and all Ozzie gets are the victories. Go figure!

In Ozzie we trust! ;)

And they STILL let him go briefly in 2001.

I don't get it- the last few seasons, he and Hasek were the two goalies; why didn't they do the same a while back?

And they STILL let him go briefly in 2001.

I don't get it- the last few seasons, he and Hasek were the two goalies; why didn't they do the same a while back?
I don't recall the specifics, but I believe having three quality goaltenders (Manny Legace) after acquiring Hasek create a problem. I don't think it was fair to Ozzie to have him playing backup to Hasek. Again, I don't recall the specifics but Paul, Jimbo, DetFan or satjay should know.

They couldn't clear the puck from their zone, bad passes, gave up 37 shots, looked tired etc...

I'm a bit of a hockey elitist so I look at things a lot more critical than the average fan.

I just wanted to mention there was finally a nice article about Ozzie today at ESPN. You know, this guy is Top 10 in regular season wins, Top 10 in Playoff victories, has an outstanding career GAA, is looking to win his 4th Stanley Cup, and will probably wind-up his Hall-of-Fame career in the Top 5 in career wins...yet, this guy gets so little respect in the media. All the opposing goalies get (many without 10% of Ozzie's credentials) are showered and praised by the pundits, and all Ozzie gets are the victories. Go figure!

In Ozzie we trust! ;)

Should have posted the link :)

They couldn't clear the puck from their zone, bad passes, gave up 37 shots, looked tired etc...

I'm a bit of a hockey elitist so I look at things a lot more critical than the average fan.

They looked pretty BAD in the Third Period trying to kill the clock, they got very sloppy and Quit pushing the play, that is NOT Red Wing hockey.

Hope they don't try that again.
Keep pushing ...

Jimbo

I don't recall the specifics, but I believe having three quality goaltenders (Manny Legace) after acquiring Hasek create a problem. I don't think it was fair to Ozzie to have him playing backup to Hasek. Again, I don't recall the specifics but Paul, Jimbo, DetFan or satjay should know.

For some reason Holland fell in Love with the goalie with the big credentials (Hasek).
I liked the move when he came in the first time .... didn't want to see the second time around.
I always thought that Ozzie and Legace has a very good relationship and played well , thought that should have stayed with that combination.

Jimbo

It was obvious from about 5 minutes into the game that the Wing's were a very tired hockey team. Chicago out skated them and outplayed them the whole game until the overtime winner.

Therein lies the bad news for Black Hawk fans. If that was your "A" game, and you couldn't beat the "tired" Wings, how do you win this series? A hot goaltender has been the death for many a fine team in Stanley Cup history, and right now the hot goaltender is Ozzie. Now throw in a major mistake in OT, and now you are at home having to win all your games and still try to steal one in Detroit. Sorry, yesterday was your chance, and now it's gone. Yesterday was the difference between a Stanley Cup winner and a team that still needs to learn how to win in the playoffs.

It's been a good run for Chicago, but the conference finals are not "serious Cup consideration", the Stanley Cup finals is "serious Cup consideration", and it won't be this year, for Chicago. The writing is on the wall.

Just the same, with all that youth, I can see these guys PLAYING in the Stanley Cup finals in two seasons.

It was obvious from about 5 minutes into the game that the Wing's were a very tired hockey team. Chicago out skated them and outplayed them the whole game until the overtime winner.
Exactly. One of the NHL Network analysts mentioned the Wings looked too tentative and didn't force the play during many stretches of the game. I wanted to slap him and tell 'em the Wings played tired last night. Anyway, I expect the Wings will come out flying after a couple days of rest and a short trip to Chicago. Those trips out to the west coast are brutal...on players and fans alike. How nice will it be having an 8pm starting time for an away game?

It's been a good run for Chicago, but the conference finals are not "serious Cup consideration", the Stanley Cup finals is "serious Cup consideration", and it won't be this year, for Chicago. The writing is on the wall.
I though the same thing going into this series...but I recorded an episode of NHL on the Fly on NHL Network prior to the series and one of their senile older analysts couldn't shutup about why he felt the Blackhawks should take the series in 6-games. I was absolutely "stunned" at how a "professional analyst" could completely dismiss all the Wings favorable qualities, while crowing the Blackhawks as Champions of All Time when they youngsters really haven't done anything outside of beating a mediocre Calgary team and an aging Vancouver team. Anyway, I noticed this knucleheaded analyst hasn't been seen on the NHL Network after Detroit's wins.

Just the same, with all that youth, I can see these guys PLAYING in the Stanley Cup finals in two seasons.
I agree! I would love to see the Blackhawks mature and become an annual rival (especially since we all hate staying-up for those 1am West Coast games) but they are still a couple years away from possibly dethrowning the Wings. PLUS, there is always that pesky Salary Cap and keeping their young players together when they are offered the "Big Bucks" to go elsewhere won't be easy.

NBA Finals

Ryan Leaf - at least SOMEBODY wants him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)