2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Also, since I have a lot of family (20%) who are Canadiens, I just wanted to point out this little factoid when comparing NHL and NBA television ratings:

The NBA on TNT, the league’s Thursday night national broadcast, averaged a 1.1 rating last season, or about one million households in the United States. Meanwhile, Hockey Night in Canada’s marquee Saturday night matchup is averaging about 1.27 million viewers in the northland. Both leagues should included their Canadien television ratings (CBC, TSN, etc.) in order to make a fair comparison between the sports. After all, the NBA and NHL includes teams from Canada. ;)

Just goes to show there are certain people who will watch anything...American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, and NASCAR are just a few examples. :rolleyes:
I don't know what you're trying to say here since those programs and sports have nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

I am not sure what your point is since my original article was specific to Versus ratings. Regarding your link, I simply mentioned they were flawed since comparing NBA on ABC ratings against NHL on Versus ratings was unfair. Additionally, since both leagues have Canadien teams I would like to see the Canadien audience reflected in the overall ratings.

It should also be pointed out that 40% of the NHL players are from Canada.

Imagine how much better the basketball would be if the audience were actually watching the World's best teams...you know, like Argentina, Spain, etc. ;)

Again, I was referencing this post you made where you specifically were looking forward to the head-to-head ratings between NBC and ABC:

Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals on NBC will be running opposite of Game 3 of the NBA Finals on ABC. I imagine most sports fans will be flipping back-and-forth between the two broadcasts, although I will be tuned-in to the Wings-Pens game the entire time. The head-to-head ratings should be interesting.
If you're changing that point now to include other countries, their networks, and their viewers as well, that's something completely different, I guess....

Again, I was referencing this post you made where you specifically were looking forward to the head-to-head ratings between NBC and ABC.
Not looking forward to the head-to-head ratings at all...merely mentioned, "the head-to-head ratings should be interesting." The article you posted compared ratings between ABC and Versus which, as I pointed out, was not a fair comparison; a fairer comparison would be ABC to NBC...and both during primetime. When you said this wouldn't make too much of a difference, and referenced an article stating NBA ratings are 3-4 times larger than the NHL in the U.S. markets, I then pointed-out that an accurate ratings comparison would also take into consideration the Canadien ratings since the NBA and NHL are both North American sports that are not limited to the states. CBC brings in around 2.6 viewers even without a Canadien team in the final.

Additionally, Versus ratings are up 42% this year (3.45 million viewers), which is still far less than the 4.51 million viewers watching Game 1 Saturday night (not exactly primetime viewing) on NBC. Conversely, ABC pulled-in 9.4 million viewers for their primetime Game 1 coverage of the Lakers-Magic on a Thursday night.

In summary, I don't feel the NBA's ratings will be 4-1, 3-1, or anything near 2-1 when both go head to head tomorrow night. When you factor in Canadien viewers the lead will be very slim. Hopefully the NHL can get a better television deal in the future.

NHL vs. NBA: Hockey winning in attendance, fan enthusiasm? - Puck Daddy - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

Any predictions for tonight's Game 6?

I picked the Wings to win in six so I am predicting:

- Wings will skate with the Cup at the Mellon this evening
- Hossa will have a big game
- Zetterberg and Datsyuk will score
- Chris Osgood will be awarded the Conn Smythe

In any case, it should be a great game!!!

Any predictions for tonight's Game 6?

I picked the Wings to win in six so I am predicting:

- Wings will skate with the Cup at the Mellon this evening
- Hossa will have a big game
- Zetterberg and Datsyuk will score
- Chris Osgood will be awarded the Conn Smythe

In any case, it should be a great game!!!

Hossa skating with the Cup in Mellon Arena? That would be a moment of a lifetime. I hope you're right, because I would love to see the Pittsburgh fan's reaction to that!

Ozzie is a shoe-in for the Smythe, when the Wings win.

A special guest will be making an appearance this evening at Mellon Arena... :)

a_cup.jpg

Already 5 minutes in a ridiculous call from this pathetic ref crew....The guy sitting right there by the play doesnt call it but the idiot from center ice does...UGH!!!!!!!!

The refs are calling two different games..Obvious too..I mean that is all the announcers are talking about, whats not being called...

Not whining trust me..I want it called fair both ways..Those two pathetic calls they made on the Wings, and then 4 obvious interference calls that they just let go..That is not calling it like it should be called..

Go sit with your Hawks and shut up!@!!

NBA Finals

Ryan Leaf - at least SOMEBODY wants him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)