2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Great! You're there. Quit whining and bitching. It amazes me how those of you who finally get to the Finals whine and bitch and piss and moan.

Shut up and play!

Wow,
Last I checked, the Wings were playing and leading the series 2-1 .... put according to the networks they are down 3 games to none.

Whats annoyed me is that the Wings have yet to play to thier capability.
Tonight they played poorly and still were in the game.

FINALLY ?????
We've been there like 7 times in the last 12 years.
refresh my memory, how many times have the Duck been to the Finals in the last 10-12 years ?

Wow,
Last I checked, the Wings were playing and leading the series 2-1 .... put according to the networks they are down 3 games to none.

Whats annoyed me is that the Wings have yet to play to thier capability.
Tonight they played poorly and still were in the game.

FINALLY ?????
We've been there like 7 times in the last 12 years.
refresh my memory, how many times have the Duck been to the Finals in the last 10-12 years ?

Stop it, Jim! You know damn well what I am getting at. Don't get so technical about the word "finally". It has nothing to do with how many times someone is in the Finals. The Ducks can't even dare match what you guys have accomplished year after year. You're in the Finals...buck up and stop finding every excuse to whine and moan. Those of us on the outside looking in find it unimaginable that either of the two teams who have made it would be so whiny and cranky!

You're still ahead in this thing. God forbid to think what you'll be like when Pittsburgh takes over and finally wins this year's Stanley Cup!

Last edited:
Good game from the Penguins, but they won Game 3 at home last year. If they want to prove things are truly different and that they've actually improved enough to beat the Red Wings, they need to win Game 4. It is absolutely crucial. The Pens were outshot this game, which is in contrast to the first two, but judging by the score, they took better shots.

A lot has been made of the officiating and I have no idea why the too many men on the ice penalty wasn't called in the first, nor do I have any idea how an extra man could be on the ice and stay that long in the first place without realizing something was up. But Game 1 had Zetterberg covering the puck with his hand in the crease, and this game had the referees missing the too many men early in the first. So needless to say, they haven't been perfect this series. Both of the missed calls were with the officiating crew of Paul Devorski and Dennis LaRue. In Game 2, Bill McCreary and Marc Joanette didn't miss anything obvious and if the NHL's switching between the two crews every game, McCreary and Joanette are on tap for Game 4. In this series the Penguins have had 6 penalties called against them with the Red Wings picking up 7, not counting the Malkin penalty at the end of Game 2, so it's been pretty even.

would you have liked the series to be like other ones and take 2+ weeks to do 7 games?

Take the Kelly Cup finals (ECHL hockey). Alaska vs. South Carolina

games 1 & 2 in Alaska 5/23 & 24 (Fri/Sat)
then 3 days off
games 3,4,5 in SC last Wed, Fri, Sat
then 4 days off
game 6 Thursday in Alaska
game 7 if necc in Alaska Saturday

7 games in 15 days!!

Typical for minor league hockey.

Sandra

Good game from the Penguins, but they won Game 3 at home last year. If they want to prove things are truly different and that they've actually improved enough to beat the Red Wings, they need to win Game 4. It is absolutely crucial. The Pens were outshot this game, which is in contrast to the first two, but judging by the score, they took better shots.

A lot has been made of the officiating and I have no idea why the too many men on the ice penalty wasn't called in the first, nor do I have any idea how an extra man could be on the ice and stay that long in the first place without realizing something was up. But Game 1 had Zetterberg covering the puck with his hand in the crease, and this game had the referees missing the too many men early in the first. So needless to say, they haven't been perfect this series. Both of the missed calls were with the officiating crew of Paul Devorski and Dennis LaRue. In Game 2, Bill McCreary and Marc Joanette didn't miss anything obvious and if the NHL's switching between the two crews every game, McCreary and Joanette are on tap for Game 4. In this series the Penguins have had 6 penalties called against them with the Red Wings picking up 7, not counting the Malkin penalty at the end of Game 2, so it's been pretty even.

Pens did a much better job with the fore check last night and were able to keep the plays alive due to it.
Kudos to them.

If they play that way tomorrow night it will be tied going back to Detroit, unless Ozzie steals the game .

Yes, it's truly bizzare that everyone can miss an extra man on the ice for that long, the Wings bench were trying to get the refs attention and failed.
The guy that eventually came off the ice, said he had no idea till he heard the Wings bench yelling about it .... and the refs STILL missed it ... amazing.

fwiw, incase your not aware, Too many men on the ice rule ONLY is called if the guy coming on to the ice plays the puck BEFORE the guy going off is off. otherwise you would have a lineup at the boards every :40 sec's, so as long as the guy is close to the boards and doesn't play the puck, most times TMM is let go.

Heard earlier today that Hossa will be signing a 7 year contract after the playoffs are over, or may have already signed, but waiting till after to announce it.

Wings denied this report. BTW they only have $2.4M left in cap space currently. They are going to have to move a few people if they want to sign Hossa. I believe Draper and Maltby may be at the end of their Detroit stay. They also have to find roster space for all those youngsters that have been playing so well in these playoffs. Nice problem to have, isn't it?

Ya gotta make it there first KCK ....

Too Old, hardly, the Wings are getting younger all the time.

From a previous post :

Series is a long way from being over ... Home ice is usually huge, I've seen many time when the home team in games 1 and 2 dominated and the roles were reversed when the changed arena's ...
Not saying this WILL happen, but I look for game 3 to be the bast so far.
I think the Wings can play MUCH better and the Pens NEED to play better.

The Pens must win game 3, if they don't, it's over.... Pens will probably win one game at least at home.
If the flow of the game changes when they go to Pittsburgh, they could come back 2-2 for game 5 and all the talk will be how the Pens are so good and the NBC guys will really be hard to take .... Some mentioned at the ESPN blog/forum that the NHL and the officials will help ??? the Pens when they get home.

I just hope it is a good game(s) and called fairly.

They defiantly let most everything go the first two games and there was great flow to the games, lets hope they don't change the rules when they get to Pittsburgh.

One other thing: the Wings are actually getting MUCH Younger, not older, with the play of Helm, Abdelker both 22.
Ericsson and Leino are only 25.
As is Juri Hudler, and Fillpulla whose been around for several years now.

Franzen is only 29 and Zetterburg is only 28.

Not as OLD as they use to be ....
IF/When Chellios retires that will drop the team age quite a bit as well.

Yes, a lot of the regulars are getting there or are there, but they have a pretty good influx of youth as well playing very well.

Jimbo

Off the top of your head - tell my how many players have been on the ice this series, that played in 2002?

Clue - It's less than 6.

Even match last night, PP was the difference. Pittsburgh crowds are something of a quite bunch. Got to love that NHL officiating, don't you?:rolleyes:

Saw nothing last night that would lead me to believe that Pittsburgh can win 3 out of the next 4.

What BS this game is..Way too many calls being let go..I saw two sticks to faces in the 3rd alone..Not one call on the Pens? Pathetic what the NHL is doing..

High sticks all over, a cross check to Franzens head against the glass in the third, all no calls ....

Thats OK, we expected the Pens to get calls tonight ... Thursday the Wings will work past the Pans calls and win , then wrap it up at home.

But we wont talk about all the interference plays the Wings are doing.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even match last night, PP was the difference. Pittsburgh crowds are something of a quite bunch. Got to love that NHL officiating, don't you?:rolleyes:

Saw nothing last night that would lead me to believe that Pittsburgh can win 3 out of the next 4.
I agree...very competitive series so far. I am just a little disappointed that we haven't see the Wings "A" game yet in this series. Anyway, Game 4 should be a good one!

On a positive note, at least I will have my Game 5 get together this weekend.:)

Wings denied this report. BTW they only have $2.4M left in cap space currently. They are going to have to move a few people if they want to sign Hossa. I believe Draper and Maltby may be at the end of their Detroit stay. They also have to find roster space for all those youngsters that have been playing so well in these playoffs. Nice problem to have, isn't it?

When does the NHL announce the new Sal. Cap figure ?
is it right after the season ends ?
If so, that would correlate with waiting till after the playoffs are over with. :idea:

But we wont talk about all the interference plays the Wings are doing.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How about EACH TIME the Wings push it up the boards into the offensive zone ....
Nope, No Interference there :rolleyes:
HAL GILL is an interference call waiting to happen ... had they called them, Gill would not have left the BOX all night.

When does the NHL announce the new Sal. Cap figure ?
is it right after the season ends ?
If so, that would correlate with waiting till after the playoffs are over with. :idea:

Just heard word that Ken Holland has said , nothing has happened yet, so, I guess someone was jumping the gun a bit.