2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Well, we would up having a great big family get-together yesterday (unknown to me) with more than 75 people yesterday since I was back in town for Game 5 - some family members I haven't seen in 25+ years. The gathering started at 2pm and concluded at around 1:40am with a marshmallow and weenie roast. Great time was had by all.

Anyway, we're looking forward to Game 6, a much smaller gathering, and hopefully the Wings hoisting The Cup overhead. :)

What a way to wash game #4 out of their system. Datsyuk makes quite a difference. 18:36 of ice time and two assists. Would be nice to just end this in Pittsburgh.

What a way to wash game #4 out of their system. Datsyuk makes quite a difference. 18:36 of ice time and two assists. Would be nice to just end this in Pittsburgh.
I would have loved to have seen the Wings win it and skate with the Cup at the Joe this past Saturday, but such is life. Hopefully the Wings will win it all Tuesday since I will be rolling out of town early Thursday morning.

Anyway, having Datsyuk back in the lineup and a few days of rest is HUGE for the Wings! Conversely, I wonder if the Pens can shake off defeat with a couple days off and changing venues. We shall see...

Lot of the NBC guys don't make sense much.

I hope ESPN gets the bid when the next contract comes up.... again.

I was watching the CBC program Hot Stove and one of the guys on it said that there were a LOT of NHL owners who want ESPN back in some shape or form. So there is some hope

I was watching the CBC program Hot Stove and one of the guys on it said that there were a LOT of NHL owners who want ESPN back in some shape or form. So there is some hope
I agree, but I just noticed Versus had their best ratings ever for Game 4. Moreover, I woud like to see the Stanley Cup Finals yanked off of NBC (National Botchit Network).

Does anyone know what year the contracts on Versus and NBC run through?

Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals on NBC will be running opposite of Game 3 of the NBA Finals on ABC. I imagine most sports fans will be flipping back-and-forth between the two broadcasts, although I will be tuned-in to the Wings-Pens game the entire time. The head-to-head ratings should be interesting.

Does anyone know what year the contracts on Versus and NBC run through?
Never mind...I just noticed NBC opted to pickup their coverage of the NHL for the 2009-2010 season and Versus extented their contract last year with the NHL through the 2010-2011 season. A couple years ago Versus only has 10 million subscribers, but they are now up to 74 million.

According to the the NHL Live! show on the NHL Network:

- NBC ratings are up (they are very happy) and they are very close to announcing a two-year extension with the NHL.

- Versus ratings are up to where they were with ESPN prior to the 2004 lockout. So although there has been talk from the NHL Players Association about wanting to move back to ESPN, but the Versus numbers are looking good and Versus appears to be committed to making the NHL part of continuing to build its network.

My next question is how the heck does this affect the NHL Network and will fans actually see games broadcast on this almost useless channel? Other than the NHL Life! and NHL On the Fly shows, there is very little else on the network.

...except tonight's Game 6 will be on NBC, and not Versus, which is universally available.
Unfortunately that won't make too much of a difference. History has shown that.

NHL Hockey Stanley Cup Finals Nielsen TV Ratings, 1995-2008

Nielsen TV Ratings NBA Playoffs & Finals, 1987-2007

Additionally, these ratings are skewed since they do not take into account the Canadien viewing audience.
Your original post on the subject only mentioned the American networks and thus American audience. And it should as both participants in the final are American teams.

Imagine how much bigger the ratings divide would be if the NBA got their dream LeBron-Kobe final....

Unfortunately that won't make too much of a difference. History has shown that.
Just goes to show there are certain people who will watch anything...American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, and NASCAR are just a few examples. :rolleyes:

Your original post on the subject only mentioned the American networks and thus American audience. And it should as both participants in the final are American teams.
I am not sure what your point is since my original article was specific to Versus ratings. Regarding your link, I simply mentioned they were flawed since comparing NBA on ABC ratings against NHL on Versus ratings was unfair. Additionally, since both leagues have Canadien teams I would like to see the Canadien audience reflected in the overall ratings.

And it should as both participants in the final are American teams.
It should also be pointed out that 40% of the NHL players are from Canada.

Imagine how much bigger the ratings divide would be if the NBA got their dream LeBron-Kobe final....
Imagine how much better the basketball would be if the audience were actually watching the World's best teams...you know, like Argentina, Spain, etc. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)