2009 US Open

Nadal's bad luck at the US Open continues. His match against Fernando Gonzalez is suspended due to rain in the middle of the 2nd set tiebreak. Now they'll have to finish tomorrow, but the weather forecast the next 2 days is not good. So while the other players rest Nadal still has to take care of business. Looks like the tournament may not finish by Sunday for a 2nd straight year.

With all those courts in Flushing Meadows, not a single one is enclosed? That's silly.

It doesn't normally rain a lot up there this time of year.

Play has been rained out at the US Open today. No matches were played.

Tomorrow's schedule will have Nadal and Gonzales try to finish their QF match and the women will play their semifinals. The Serena-Clijisters match will be played tomorrow night when the womens final was originally scheduled. The mens semis are pushed back until Sunday it looks like and the final will be Monday. Of course there may be more rain in the forecast tomorrow so who knows what will actually happen.

Nadal wins the resumption of his match against Gonzalez. He didn't lose a point in the tiebreak when they resumed and then took the 3rd set 6-0. That was easy.

Now it's raining again. :mad:

Men's semis

Rafael Nadal vs. Juan Martin del Potro

Roger Federer vs Novak Djokovic

Serena Williams was defaulted out of the US Open. She got a foot fault called on her on 2nd serve which set up match point. Serena then went off on the linesperson and cursed her out. Serena got a code violation, which was her 2nd (she had smashed a raquet earlier) so she was penalized a point. Game over. Unreal. So Kim Clijsters is in the finals.

Edit: Wozinacki beats Wickmayer in the other semifinal so the women's final will be Clijsters and Wozniacki, the two spoilers. Raise your hand if you had that matchup.

Last edited:
Serena Williams was defaulted out of the US Open. She got a foot fault called on her on 2nd serve which set up match point. Serena then went off on the linesperson and cursed her out. Serena got a code violation, which was her 2nd (she had smashed a raquet earlier) so she was penalized a point. Game over. Unreal. So Kim Clijsters is in the finals.

WOW!

So much for when I said the US Open would be a cakewalk for her.

Federer takes care of Djokovic in straight sets and will meet del Potro for the title tomorrow.

Federer should win but it is not a lock. del Potro is the same as Soderling as he hits very flat and low very hard to track down the ball if he is on. I suspect Fed will make him hit many balls and try to bring him in with his slice.

Yes, and her tantrum hissy fit is what finally did her in and cost her the match.

I thought it went well beyond hissy fit and ventured into 'thug' territory. Then, when asked about threatening the linesperson at the press conference, she says 'she shouldn't feel threatened, I've never been in a fight in my life.'

I guess it was the linesperson hearing Williams say she was going to 'shove the ball down her throat' that confused her.

Nice apology too. :rolleyes:

Sandra

I thought it went well beyond hissy fit and ventured into 'thug' territory. Then, when asked about threatening the linesperson at the press conference, she says 'she shouldn't feel threatened, I've never been in a fight in my life.'

I guess it was the linesperson hearing Williams say she was going to 'shove the ball down her throat' that confused her.

Nice apology too. :rolleyes:

Sandra
Serera and Venus teamed up to win the doubles title today.

Del Potro pulls off the shocker! He beats Federer in 5 sets to win the US Open. In fact he just beat Nadal and Federer on back to back days.

Del Potro pulls off the shocker! He beats Federer in 5 sets to win the US Open. In fact he just beat Nadal and Federer on back to back days.

Wow! An amazing road en route to his first US Open title! Amazing! Congrats to Juan!

BTW, that dude is HUGE! Did you see him tower over R-Fed during the post game handshake and acceptance speech? He is a very tall man, especially for a Tennis player.

And what was with Dick Embersol trying to deny the poor kid a short speech in Spanish to his family back home and in attendance? It took two pleads from Juan before Dicky finally gave in. I know CBS has a strict schedule to abide by, but come on! Let the poor kid have his day in the sun!

And what was with Dick Embersol trying to deny the poor kid a short speech in Spanish to his family back home and in attendance? It took two pleads from Juan before Dicky finally gave in. I know CBS has a strict schedule to abide by, but come on! Let the poor kid have his day in the sun!
I saw that. Defintely not cool. It wasn't Dick Enberg's fault. It was the idiots who run CBS. They got an absolute gift by having a great match, and then they don't even want to cover the trophy presentation because they want to show their stupid sitcoms. Doogie Howser can wait! :mad: I wish the tournament were just on ESPN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)