2010-11 NCAA College Basketball

yes, they are, but I would put anyone's record up against Calhoun's.

I would also put up a used car salesman against Calimari. Would be entertaining.

Tough loss last night for Utah State. They were up 69-68 at BYU with a few minutes left when things started heading south. Down 72-69 with two minutes left their big guy and best player, Tai Wesley, grabs a rebound and puts his elbows up to shield the ball.

The referee calls him for something that is apparently a new point of emphasis in the NCAA, swinging your elbows, which is a technical foul...so BYU gets two foul shots (where Jimmer Fredette rarely misses), they get the ball, and Tai Wesley fouls out of the game all at the same time. Ouch. Utah State never recovers.

According to the announcers on The Mountain network the rule is that if your elbows are moving faster than your body, it's a technical foul. If you watch the replay it certainly doesn't look like that's what Wesley did, but whatever, when there is a new point of emphasis officials tend to go overboard in the beginning of the season, so that's the way it goes.

Both teams played well, with the level of play and the crowd atmosphere it felt like a conference tournament game, not the second game of the year for each team. Both BYU and Utah State will be heard from this year.

Jimmer Fredette key for BYU in win over Utah State

Associated Press

PROVO, Utah -- Despite being only the second game of the season, the instate rivalry between Brigham Young (No. 23 AP) and Utah State proved to be an intense, loud contest more suited for a midseason contest.
It was BYU's execution and clutch free throw shooting that turned out to be the deciding factor down the stretch.

With the Cougars (2-0) leading 74-71 with 25 seconds left, Noah Hartsock and Jimmer Fredette each hit two free throws to give BYU a 78-72 win over Utah State Wednesday night.

"Free throws really made a big difference down the stretch," said Utah State coach Stew Morrill. "We played physical and the atmosphere made it seem like a midseason game, not the second game of the season. We gave ourselves a chance to win and that makes this a really tough game to lose."

BYU shot 77 percent from the free throw line on the night including 13-of-15 in the second half while Utah State shot 58 percent from the line.

"I think we can really build from this," BYU coach Dave Rose said. "It's good to have to go to the free throw line late in games, make free throws, get offensive and defensive rebounds late, get a stop here and there when there's a lot of pressure and a lot on the line."

Fredette scored 26 points to lead BYU. Hartsock scored 15 with Charles Abouo and Jackson Emery adding 13 and 10 points respectively.

Tai Wesley scored 13 of his 19 points in the first half to lead the Aggies. He fouled out with 2:10 left in the game. That foul was ruled intentional and put Chris Collinsworth on the line where he converted both free throws to push the BYU lead to 74-69.

"I knew our guys would come out and compete," said Morrill. "When you are on the road against a top 25 team you always worry that the game will get away from you. We played tough and were within three there near the end, and I would have liked to see what would have happened if Tai doesn't get that intentional foul."

In the first half, Fredette tried to break the game open early by scoring 12 of BYU's first 15 points to help the Cougars to a 15-7 lead. Brian Green immediately responded for the Aggies by sinking three straight 3-pointers to pull within one at 17-16.

Green finished the game with 17 points for Utah State (1-1).

"We had to trap Jimmer and that got us strung out on defense because we were putting two guys on one player," said Morrill. "It was a gamble we were willing to take."

The two teams exchanged baskets the remainder of the first half with neither team leading by more than four. Hartsock connected on two free throws with six tenths of a second remaining in the half to tie the game at 33.

Brady Jardine had a game-high 12 rebounds for the Aggies.

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

Sandra

Last edited:
Watchable games tonight (sort of)

11:30 AM Davidson-West Virginia (San Juan, PR) ESPN U (late notice lol)
7:00 PM Pittsburgh-Maryland (New York, NY) ESPN 2
9:00 PM Illinois-Texas (New York, NY) ESPN 2

Enjoy!

Sandra

Never like a loss, but I am relatively proud of my Terps tonight. Young team put up a hellave fight. It's going to be a real tough game tomorrow, but i am sure that Gary will have them ready.

Watchable games tonight (trying to stay ahead of the chains and do this earlier!):

3:00 PM Connecticut-Wichita State ESPN 2 (Maui Classic quarterfinals, Lahaina, HI)
5:00 PM Oklahoma-Kentucky ESPN 2 (Maui Classic quarterfinals, Lahaina, HI)
6:00 PM Seton Hall-Clemson Fox Sports Net (Paradise Jam consolation, St. Thomas, USVI)
7:30 PM Duke-Marquette ESPN 2 (CBE Classic semifinals, Kansas City, MO)
8:30 PM Old Dominion-Xavier Fox Sports Net (Paradise Jam championship, St. Thomas, USVI)
9:30 PM Kansas State-Gonzaga ESPN 2 (CBE Classic semifinals, Kansas City, MO)

Enjoy!

Sandra

Yeah, but the rest of the team sucks. If not for him, they would be coming home.

Watchable games tonight:

7:00 PM Robert Morris-Pittsburgh Sportsnet New York, FS Pittsburgh, MASN, ESPN Full Court
7:00 PM Connecticut-Michigan State ESPN (Maui Invitational semifinals, Lahaina, HI)
7:45 PM Marquette-Gonzaga ESPN U (CBE Classic consolation, Kansas City, MO)
9:00 PM Kentucky-Washington ESPN (Maui Invitational semifinals, Lahaina, HI)
10:00 PM Duke-Kansas State ESPN 2 (CBE Classic championship, Kansas City, MO)

Enjoy!

Sandra

Watchable games tonight:

5:00 PM Washington-Michigan State ESPN 2 (Maui Invitational consolation, Lahaina, HI)
7:00 PM VCU-Tennessee ESPN 2 (NIT Preseason Tip Off semifinals, New York, NY)
9:00 PM UCLA-Tennessee ESPN 2 (NIT Preseason Tip Off semifinals, New York NY)
10:00 PM Kentucky-Connecticut ESPN (Maui Invirational championship, Lahaina, HI)

Enjoy!

Sandra

Kentucky and UCONN game is going to be an early season classic . . . but the better observation/questions is: How about those Dukies??? They look in mid-season form already and the team to beat! I would love to see back to back championships, but I will not get ahead of myself :)

Watchable games tonight:

5:00 PM Washington-Michigan State ESPN 2 (Maui Invitational consolation, Lahaina, HI)
7:00 PM VCU-Tennessee ESPN 2 (NIT Preseason Tip Off semifinals, New York, NY)
9:00 PM UCLA-Tennessee ESPN 2 (NIT Preseason Tip Off semifinals, New York NY)
10:00 PM Kentucky-Connecticut ESPN (Maui Invirational championship, Lahaina, HI)

Enjoy!

Sandra

I take it you're not staying up late (2AM EST) to watch St John's at the Great Alaska Shootout? ;)

I take it you're not staying up late (2AM EST) to watch St John's at the Great Alaska Shootout? ;)

Yeah, what's with this being the second game of the very young season that St. John's starts at 2 AM eastern time? Steve Lavin must be a night owl or something...

Sandra

The Wednesday schedule for it is always goofy as they have 2 Womens games and 2 mens games tonight..2:30(womens 3rd place), 5:00(womens championship), 7:30 & 10:00 Alaska time
the rest of the games are at 5:00 & 8:00

I can't believe I missed the Cancun Challenge!!! I don't care who was playing,I just wanted to see "whichever teams" playing in that room with the chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. Apparently Missouri won the challenge. Who was even covering it? I think CBS College Sports had it last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)