2010-11 NFL Season

NFL Winter About To Set In

Here is an interesting article by Adam Schefter on the pending offseason restictions without a CBA:

"We interrupt debate about the intriguing postseason matchups to drop in a dose of stone-cold reality.

These could be football's finest final days for a long time -- a very long time.

Welcome to the new world order, where offseason football rules will not be what they've been.

Until there is a new collective bargaining agreement -- which almost no one is expecting for months -- there will be no free agency. Teams will not be allowed to shop for new players, players will not be allowed to sign with new teams and any player movement will be shut down.

Until there is a new agreement, there will be no trades. Washington cannot trade Donovan McNabb or Albert Haynesworth; Denver cannot trade Kyle Orton; no trades of existing contracts will be permitted until a new agreement is signed -- whenever that is.

Until there is a new deal, injured players such as Packers running back Ryan Grant, Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams or Jets safety Jim Leonhard cannot rehab at team training facilities. Each is on his own, forced to supervise his own rehabilitation to make sure he is on track for next season.

And should any player working out on his own suffer an injury that prevents him from playing next season, then he we will not be paid for that season. This will affect the way every player trains -- never mind that no one knows when or even if next season will kick off.

There will be a draft, April 28-30. But after Super Bowl XLV in Arlington, Texas, on Feb. 6, the draft will be the only way teams can try to improve themselves until there is a new agreement.

The offseason as usual will not exist. The rules are not what they once were. It's hard to imagine it not operating the same way now.

But short of a new collective bargaining agreement that almost no one is expecting anytime soon, it won't.

A new year, and new world, are upon us."

---Doesn't sound too good. Should be named NFL Nuclear Winter...pretty bleak.

I usually side with the owners in these disputes, but this impending labor unrest (unlike the NBA) is on the owners especially those owners like Mike Brown, Ralf Wilson and Dean Spanos.

ESPN just paid 2 BILLION annually to broadcast 16 regular season games.

I will NEVER side with the owners because they are 3 times more greedy than the players. The day that owners build a stadium with his OWN money, then I will side with them.

I am BOTH heartbroken and speechless...........

I don't know what to say. It almost seems like with this latest news, the Raiders too 5 steps back after taking 2 steps forward.....My FAV Raider....gone! :(

Nnamdi Asomugha contract voided

By Adam Schefter
ESPN

Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha's contract voided and he will be allowed to become a free agent without the Oakland Raiders being able to use their franchise tag on him, Raiders senior executive John Herrera confirmed Sunday.

Asomugha's deal included a little-known clause that said his contract would void if he didn't achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010 -- and he didn't.

His contract also contained a stipulation that if he didn't achieve his incentives, the Raiders would agree not to designate him their franchise or transition player.

"We have to wait on the ramifications of the new CBA to be able to move on," Herrera said.

To achieve his incentives, Asomugha had to play in a greater number of defensive plays in 2010 than he did in 2009, and this season Asomugha played in only 14 games whereas he played in all 16 in 2009.

He also could have achieved his incentives by improving upon on his interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season -- but he didn't have any interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season.

Asomugha will be the top defensive player available whenever free agency begins.

Oakland could have many other key free agents this offseason depending on the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement. Pro Bowl defensive tackle Richard Seymour, safety Michael Huff, cornerback Stanford Routt, tight end Zach Miller, left guard Robert Gallery and running back Michael Bush are among the Raiders' other potential free agents.

Asomugha is one of the league's best man-to-man cornerbacks, with most teams choosing not to throw to his side of the field. According to STATS LLC, Asomugha was targeted on just 33 pass attempts this season. He allowed 13 completions for 205 yards and no touchdowns, burnishing his reputation as a shutdown cornerback.

Asomugha was a first-round pick by the Raiders in 2003. After some struggles early in his career as he moved from safety to cornerback, Asomugha has emerged as one of the league's top cornerbacks the past five years. He was recently selected to his third straight Pro Bowl.

But despite the strong play from Asomugha, the Raiders have been unable to put a winning team on the field in his eight years in Oakland. The team lost at least 11 games for an NFL-worst seven straight years in Asomugha's first eight seasons before improving to 8-8 this season.

That improvement did not satisfy owner Al Davis, who announced last week that he would not pick up the option on coach Tom Cable's contract. The Raiders are now searching for their sixth coach since 2003, with offensive coordinator Hue Jackson the leading contender.

Nnamdi Asomugha of Oakland Raiders a free agent after contract voids - ESPN

Man salsa. I'm looking at the Raiders press conference and I've never seen al davis in such bad shape. Wow!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)