2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

Paraguay advanced on goal kicks over Japan after a scoreless regulation match and a 30-minute overtime period. To be honest, both teams should have been eliminated after not scoring a goal in 120+ minutes of play. El Stinko! Thank goodness the winner of Spain vs. Portugal will mop the field with Paraguay. Again, El Stinko...Paraguay does not deserve to advance to the quarterfinal round.

Several European teams have been eliminated, and most of the Asian and African teams, but no South American teams yet. That will have to change today when Brazil plays Chile.

Edit: Oops - Brazil 3, Chile 0

Yup, Japan deserved it more .. o well.
Neither team deserved to advance after going scoreless in 120+ minutes of play. Additionally, while goal kicks may be fine for league play it is totally unsatisfactory for World Cup play. This match should have gone into sudden death overtime until their was a clear and convincing winner.

This year's World Cup did nothing to advance soccer here in the States. Here is what people will remember about this years World Cup (since 90% have already stopped watching now that the U.S. has been eliminated):

- Horrible, politically motivated, calls against the U.S. Team
- Idiotic FIFA leadership cannot implement a simple video replay system to review bad goal calls (e.g., England vs. Germany)
- Paraguay is advanced after a 0-0 tie (people want to see a winner advance)

Quiet honestly, I didn't expect the WC to advance "soccer" here in the USA. I've come to accept that football will not be accepted as one of the top sports in the USA. As long as I can watch the World Cup and football that's fine with me. I remember 20 years ago they will show one game per week for the World Cup and they will play commercials right in the middle of the game, you were like WTF? At least now, they show all the games live with no interruptions. :)

Quiet honestly, I didn't expect the WC to advance "soccer" here in the USA. I've come to accept that football will not be accepted as one of the top sports in the USA. As long as I can watch the World Cup and football that's fine with me. I remember 20 years ago they will show one game per week for the World Cup and they will play commercials right in the middle of the game, you were like WTF? At least now, they show all the games live with no interruptions. :)
And that is why the networks have no real interest in advancing the acceptance of soccer in the US. No official timeouts and no breaks in the action every five minutes to allow for commercials.

Got a new conspiracy theory there, Jim? :confused:
Just pointing out what has been repeatedly mentioned by the International soccer community. You may wish to watch some of World Cup matches and catch-up on the newspaper and sports commentary on the subject. There is no question there have been a lot of "poor calls" against the U.S. team this year. Here is just one example (you be the judge as to why such as poor call could be made by a veteran referee, with no explaination of the call on or off the field, and why Mr. Coulibaly was dismissed from 2nd round officiating): Referee Koman Coulibaly of Mali Denies US Win in USA Vs. Slovenia World Cup 2010 Match - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koman_Coulibaly

Yep, both teams have had their chances. I still believe Spain will win. Ronaldo have not done anything in this WC. The ball actually looked for him and begged him to score a goal in that 7 - 0 game. :)

I agree, it is unrealistic to expect soccer to usurp the sports that dominate public attention in this country. All I want is for America to realize the significance of the World Cup and why it is the biggest sporting event on the planet and I am pleased that more and more people are beginning to realize that this is a big deal. If they don't watch soccer between July 2010 and June 2014, that's fine with me, I'm perfectly content with soccer's place in the American sports scene.

Just pointing out what has been repeatedly mentioned by the International soccer community. You may wish to watch some of World Cup matches and catch-up on the newspaper and sports commentary on the subject. There is no question there have been a lot of "poor calls" against the U.S. team this year. Here is just one example (you be the judge as to why such as poor call could be made by a veteran referee, with no explaination of the call on or off the field, and why Mr. Coulibaly was dismissed from 2nd round officiating): Referee Koman Coulibaly of Mali Denies US Win in USA Vs. Slovenia World Cup 2010 Match - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koman_Coulibaly

No doubt there have been too many horrible calls this year, but not only against the US. I was questioning your "politically motivated against the US" statement. There is no evidence to indicate anything like this. Unless you have some.....

Quarterfinal Picks

Here are my quarterfinal picks (in bold):

Netherlands vs. Brazil - this should be a really good match, but once again Netherlands comes up short
Uruguay vs. Ghana - Uruguay is no USA
Argentina vs. Germany - close match, but fans will be crying for Argentina
Paraguay vs. Spain - the rain in Spain falls mainly on Paraguay today

Watta game so far,

Netherlands vs. Brazil
1-1 2nd half

R.I.P. Don Coryell

Michael Vick could be in trouble AGAIN!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)