2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

As a model citizen of the [NAFTA] North American Union,I should be supporting my "Mexican Brothers," but I'm too busy doing the victory dance for the 2 goals that Argentina scored. Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool,Argentina [x2]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly. How can some of you expect the US to win the World Cup, when football is like the #10 sport in the US. Only 7 countries have won the cup, and in these 7 countries football is their # 1 sport. It's like a religion to them.

I think the US have made progress, lots of progress but you can't expect them to win the World Cup now. We're still years away from winning the cup. Just to make it to the World Cup is a big achievement, it takes more than 2 years and beat several different countries just to qualify.

This person gets it:

The US players still need to learn how to play a more physical game, they are too naive. These games are not your local cities football tournaments. In a lot of countries kids play football in the streets, some of these kids play it with no shoes in the dirt and they play for hours. For them playing in the World Cup is a dream and they're playing the game they love on dream fields.
No he really doesnt get it, neither do you. We would also lose to less physical more skilled teams. Look at the passes Germenay makes. We are deficient on many fronts.

We lost to a country in which soccer is held much higher than it is here. We lost to a country that doesn't have its best athletes playing other sports, like they do here. We lost to a country in which soccer is one of the few things people can be successful at.
Given the population differences your arguement is laughable. We lost to a faster, more physical, more gifted team. And given the size of this country there is no excuse for it. Ghana is about 92,000 square miles vs 3.8 million for the US. 310 million people vs 23 million with 30% of them starving. It should matter if the best athletes are playing other sports when you have 10 times the population.

Last edited:
Given the population differences your arguement is laughable. We lost to a faster, more physical, more gifted team. And given the size of this country there is no excuse for it. Ghana is about 92,000 square miles vs 3.8 million for the US. 310 million people vs 23 million with 30% of them starving. It should matter if the best athletes are playing other sports when you have 10 times the population.
Doesn't matter. They care more about Soccer than we do. Our best athletes are playing other sports or are in a successful career.

By RONALD BLUM

JOHANNESBURG - The president of the U.S. Soccer Federation says the American team did not meet his expectations at the World Cup and that he likely will meet with Bob Bradley after the tournament to discuss the coach's future.
Bradley was hired in December 2006, has a contract running through the end of the year. The Americans were eliminated last weekend with a 2-1 overtime loss to Ghana in the second round of the World Cup. USSF president Sunil Gulati said Monday that the team is capable of more, and that the players and Bradley know it. Gulati says that, at this level, "we're disappointed we didn't get to play another 90 minutes at least."
- The AP

At least someone understands that this was a disaster. Heads need to roll if the US is ever going to compete.

Our best athletes are playing other sports or are in a successful career.
You couldnt be more wrong. Doesnt matter when you have 1000 times more athletes in the country. And a good D lineman in the NFL isnt going to step on a soccer field anyway.

BTW how much money does Ghana spend on Soccer? How much money did their MLS type league pay BecKham to come over and play??? Zero? But they care more?

You couldnt be more wrong. Doesnt matter when you have 1000 times more athletes in the country. And a good D lineman in the NFL isnt going to step on a soccer field anyway.

BTW how much money does Ghana spend on Soccer? How much money did their MLS type league pay BecKham to come over and play??? Zero? But they care more?

**GULP** I TOTALLY and completely agree!:eek:;)

The US doesn't have the youth system in place that these other countries have. Even a nation like Ghana will have full time youth academies with players as young a 9 years old. There aren't any serious programs in the US until the college level and by that time it's too late. Most players peak at around age 25 and 30 years old is considered retirement age. A real prospect should be reaching the club reserve level by age 17-18. As with everything the level of available competition makes for better players and the US does not have anywhere near the level needed.

The US is producing some good players, Donovan is probably the best we could hope to produce with our limited system. More players are moving into Europe which is good for the US in the longterm. The MLS is still pretty much a joke and we'll never get an average level of player with the system they have in place and it will stay that way until they are willing to make it a true European style league.

Brazil looking like Brazil in today's game .. they are back.

You gotta love what England's Wayne Rooney said about the teams loss to Germany..."If the Few had defended as badly as England we'd all be speaking German now." IMO, I fully agree with Vurbano and Salsa. The U.S. will never succeed in soccer because sports like baseball, football, hockey and basketball are in our blood and part of our passion...not soccer. Heck, I dare to say that sports like bowling and curling evoke a more passionate response than does soccer in the U.S. and Canada.

I doubt we'll ever see a response to a soccer match like that being expressed in England right now. Just take a look at how far our program is behind other competitive countries:

Humiliated England blasted after Germany beat them in World Cup | The Sun |News

Uh oh,I guess Chile is joining my other favorite teams(England,Mexico,USA) out of the World Cup.

Chile had no business been there to begin with hehe :eek:

The biggest game from this WC will be this Saturday, Argentina vs Germany

Uh oh,I guess Chile is joining my other favorite teams(England,Mexico,USA) out of the World Cup.
That's a lot of "favorite teams" you have. I cheer for the U.S. team because it's my patriotic duty, but their football program is a disaster. Germany and England are my favorite teams...with all teams being the enemy when it comes to playing against the Deutchlanders.

I haven't looked at the brackets, but I'm pretty sure we're going to see Brazil vs. Germany down the road.

R.I.P. Don Coryell

Michael Vick could be in trouble AGAIN!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)