2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

I will keep watching the WC even without the men from USA. Every 4 years I am hooked on all the games til the end

We suck. I thought Ghana totally embarrassed the USA. speed, ball handling, striking, getting possession, all superior to us. It looked like men plying with boys. Thhis US team led for 3 minutes in the entire tournament. We were LUCKY to beat or tie ANYONE

terrific fake injuries at the end by the Ghana players. I'm glad the US didn't succumb to that level to get subs on and waste time in other matches

If an NFL player tried to pull that kind of stunt, we'd be looking at 15 yard penalties, loss of down, and personal fine of $60,000 on the player.

Then again, that was only time in the game you did not hear that obnoxious sound of horns buzzing like swarms of killer bees.... it was refreshing hearing good old fashion American chants of "bull sh$$."

Team USA made some great strides this world cup.
By losing to Ghana for a 2nd straight time to get ousted from the WC?
By managing a tie with England on a fluke bobble by their goal keeper?
By only leading 3 minutes in the entire tounament?
By having its forwards held scoreless in the last 4 games, besides the penalty kick in the last one?
By giving up goals early in every game and playing from behind?
I just don't see it? We are as futile as we were 4 years ago. A penalty kick was the only reason that travesty wasnt over in regulation. You know maybe if this country's press would rail on the american athletes like the English or spanish press would their own we would get somewhere. As long as everyone is happy with failure we will get no better. If this were the NFL people would be all over the players. Our players suck pure and simple and we havent gotten any better in the last 4 years.

Last edited:
For those who think the ratings will decrease now that the US in eliminated, please keep in mind that the ratings actually went UP after the US was eliminated four years ago. Granted those ratings were not nearly as impressive as these and topping them may be more difficult. Just sayng, that a US presence isn't a predictor of how ratings will go.

We just lost to a small developing 3rd world country in Africa where nearly 30% live below the poverty level and the area is heavily dependent on foreign AID. The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA sent this bunch of slow unmotivated, unskilled losers to represent the greatest power on the planet? ANd some of you are proud of them? Are you the same people who support giving out participation trophies for all the kids in the local sports leagues? Maybe thats why we are so bad. Personally I will not give them any credit until they are ousted by traditional grownups in a later round, Italy, Spain, Germany or Brazil.

Team USA made some great strides this world cup. But if we are ever going to be taken seriously as a football power we have to improve on defense. Digging a hole in the first 10 minutes of the game and playing from behind is a disaster waiting to happen. We also need a forward that can take on defenders, finish their runs in the box and score goals. Clearly today Ghana was the better team.

I agree. The coming from behind in litterally every game was a MAJOR issue.

You know maybe if this country's press would rail on the american athletes like the English or spanish press would their own we would get somewhere. As long as everyone is happy with failure we will get no better. If this were the NFL people would be all over the players.

I agree 100%!! I don't think our players suck, but we just didn't improve that much better to the last World Cup. They had an easier bracket than the last WC(at least in my eyes)....and they BARELY improved on the results.

I agree 100%!! I don't think our players suck, but we just didn't improve that much better to the last World Cup. They had an easier bracket than the last WC(at least in my eyes)....and they BARELY improved on the results.
well our passing sucked and we looked terrified of their speed. When you are reduced to booting the ball in the air towards the goal and trying to out jump the other team it indicates that you do not have the skill to mount a real attack. I am really pissed at ABC/ESPN for touting how we were supposed to be better than Ghana and that Ghana only had one player. They all looked bigger, stronger and faster than us. They all seemed to pass better and steal balls better than us. I think they knowingly lied about how we were suppose to win this game.

Now for he coach. Fire that LOSER! Didnt we give up early goals in EVERY game? And it killed us. I wonder if you questioned Alexi Lalas in private if he would truely say that he was proud of our performance in that tournament?

Last edited:
How come Freddy Adu wasn't on the national team? That is the only American name I could think of not on the team. Unfortunately,I think the team we fielded is the best we'll ever get without a national change of attitude about soccer. Soccer is a niche sport played in middle class suburbs in the U.S. Soccer is viewed by the rest of the world the way that basketball is viewed in the inner cities of the U.S.

What soccer needs is a world league like they have in volleyball where countries like the US'd have standing teams where some of the players would play on the national team only[which would help countries like the US in the long haul to develop better national teams that would have a better chance of winning a world cup in our lifetimes].........It would also give the US a chance to play the better teams[Germany,Brazil,Spain etc] on a more regular basis.....better competition=better teams in the long run.

And the rating will go right back down after today in the US .....
Yep...

Even I, like most people here in the US, was watching and rooting for the US, but could care less about the game of soccer.

Let's just put it this way. When I was at a bar last week watching the Lakers, every fan was into every second, rooting and cheering, the same when the Angels were in the WS in 2001. When I was at a bar yesterday during the US game, people were there rooting for they US, but were not paying attention to the game 90% of the time.

Now that the US is out, and once Mexico is out, the ratings in these later rounds will be even less on the average than the ratings in the first round.

For those who think the ratings will decrease now that the US in eliminated, please keep in mind that the ratings actually went UP after the US was eliminated four years ago. Granted those ratings were not nearly as impressive as these and topping them may be more difficult. Just sayng, that a US presence isn't a predictor of how ratings will go.
Please, the average ratings are up because the US ratings were high, thus increasing the average. Looking at the ratings of the other games, they are not much different than the past. The ratings for US games are much higher than that of other games. To say the US presence is not a predictor of US ratings in a country which does not support soccer is not accurate at all.

We just lost to a small developing 3rd world country in Africa where nearly 30% live below the poverty level and the area is heavily dependent on foreign AID. The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA sent this bunch of slow unmotivated, unskilled losers to represent the greatest power on the planet? ANd some of you are proud of them? Are you the same people who support giving out participation trophies for all the kids in the local sports leagues? Maybe thats why we are so bad. Personally I will not give them any credit until they are ousted by traditional grownups in a later round, Italy, Spain, Germany or Brazil.
We lost to a country in which soccer is held much higher than it is here. We lost to a country that doesn't have its best athletes playing other sports, like they do here. We lost to a country in which soccer is one of the few things people can be successful at.

When I was at a bar last week watching the Lakers, every fan was into every second, rooting and cheering, the same when the Angels were in the WS in 2001.

Exactly. How can some of you expect the US to win the World Cup, when football is like the #10 sport in the US. Only 7 countries have won the cup, and in these 7 countries football is their # 1 sport. It's like a religion to them.

I think the US have made progress, lots of progress but you can't expect them to win the World Cup now. We're still years away from winning the cup. Just to make it to the World Cup is a big achievement, it takes more than 2 years and beat several different countries just to qualify.

This person gets it:

The problem with the Ghana-USA game was that Ghana was playing "Street/Ghetto" soccer versus the USA's "surburban 'Soccer mom'" soccer.

The US players still need to learn how to play a more physical game, they are too naive. These games are not your local cities football tournaments. In a lot of countries kids play football in the streets, some of these kids play it with no shoes in the dirt and they play for hours. For them playing in the World Cup is a dream and they're playing the game they love on dream fields.

R.I.P. Don Coryell

Michael Vick could be in trouble AGAIN!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)