2010 Men's NCAA Basketball Tournament Thread

I had a sneaking suspicion about Georgetown.

IMO, that they play well against the big boys- Duke, Villanova, West Virginia, Syracuse- but have struggled against the little guys.

They are a get up/down team- they're sky high against the elite teams, but are wildly inconsistent.

I felt they'd go out early or get to at least the Elite 8- no middle ground. They can go all the way or be one-and-done.

This is proving me right.

Georgetown loses to THE Ohio University. Well my bracket is in tatters. Such a shame beacuse I was looking forward to potential matchups between Georgetown vs Tennessee and versus Ohio St. Now we get games like Butler vs Murray St. We all like the upsets but you miss the big boys later on.

Northern Iowa with a late three to beat UNLV.

Yeah, that is the team that has given me grief in the Missouri Valley for two years, and five consecutive losses for ISU. Including an over-time victory over my redbirds in the tournament title game last year, which made for a LONG three hour drive home from St. Louis.

I can't say I will miss those four seniors. But they played well tonight, and did the Valley proud. Wish they did not have to play Kansas next.

This'll be my last post before I fly out for Dubai:

New Mexico, like Baylor, barely gets by a #14 seed.

With that, and Georgetown stunningly getting routed, Pittsburgh better be careful as a #3 seed against Oakland.

Well, well, well. Where do I begin? I think we can all agree that yesterday's opening round was a phenomenal one. Buzzer beaters, upsets and overtime galore. What else can you ask for?

Oh, and the biggest upset of the day... #14 Ohio over #2 GTown. And remember folks, this Ohio U team is a team that was #9 in their own MAC conference tournament and had a 7-9 (losing conference record in the regular season!)

Needless to say, my wife picked OU in her bracket and has been reminding me ever since on how I was mocking this pick earlier on in the day. (She's an OU graduate btw). :D

Last edited:
Needless to say, my wife picked OU in her bracket and has been reminding me ever since on how I was mocking this pick earlier on in the day. (She's an OU graduate btw). :D
Yeah them wives are merciless. You're in for a long season of gloating. Mine pulled out an old Team Canada Jersey she has to wear as a night gown in order to gloat about the Olympics.

I hope it warms up soon, so she'll have to stop wearing it.

Yeah them wives are merciless. You're in for a long season of gloating. Mine pulled out an old Team Canada Jersey she has to wear as a night gown in order to gloat about the Olympics.

I hope it warms up soon, so she'll have to stop wearing it.

Wearing a Team Canada jersey to bed? Perhaps she's telling you something. ;) :D

Sandra

Notes for today:

1. BYU is one step closer to playing their regional in Salt Lake City next weekend. All they have to do is beat Kansas State tomorrow.

2. The world was introduced to Jimmer Fridette yesterday...

3. ...and the world will be introduced to Marqus Blakely today. Difficult to imagine Vermont beating Syracuse, but this kid is a bona fide player. Tough underneath, very strong, skilled, and he can jump through the roof. Could be the best player on the court tonight, unless the Orange zone can bottle him up.

4. That poor Robert Morris coach looks like he's still in pain.

5. Remember when I said the bracket buster games should be the big conference schools at the mid/small conference schools? Think about how crazy it would have been at...

Ohio, with them upsetting Georgetown in their own gym.
San Diego State, with them almost upsetting Tennessee in their own gym.
Old Dominion, with them upsetting Notre Dame in their own gym.
Robert Morris, with them almost upsetting Villanova in their own gym.

You have to think San Diego State and Robert Morris could have won those games at home, too.

6. Omar Samham from St. Mary's. Kid can play. Now you see what happened to Gonzaga in the West Coast championship game.

7. Is anyone picking Purdue to beat Siena? Anyone at all? It's a 4/13 game, with almost zero love for the four!

8. Utah State/Texas A&M is the 'hidden' 5 PM game. Bummer.

9. Seems like Lottery Pick University is the only team that dominated yesterday from start to finish. Going to be interesting to see how they hold up if/when they are tested. The kids have never played in this kind of pressure situation, and Calipari, for all his virtues, is not the best in-game coach.

10. Here is what I would like to see today:

New Mexico State hit all of those insane shots today against Michigan State that they hit Saturday night against Utah State in the WAC championship game.

Minnesota beat Xavier. I like Tubby Smith, and Xavier could be a soft 6.

Gonzaga winning, to set up a game with Serracuss on Sunday. When the 'Zags are good they tend to disappoint in the tournament. When they are bad they sometimes have a run in them. They have been bad at times.

Whether the 'good' or 'bad' teams of the following inconsistent teams show up...Maryland, Pitt, West Virgina, Clemson, Louisville

Sandra

MLB Opening Day TV Schedule

I got a New Softball BAT!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)