2011 AL Central Thread

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Its almost that time as pitchers and catchers report this week! This thread gets a lot of traction during the year!!

As always go Tigers! Should be a fun year in the division!

satjay said:
Its almost that time as pitchers and catchers report this week! This thread gets a lot of traction during the year!!

As always go Tigers! Should be a fun year in the division!

Yup, its that time of year again !
Hopefully soon, the white stuff on the ground will be replaced with Green grass and the temps will turn around to Spring !

One thing I'm gonna miss is hearing Ernie Harwell and his passage about the Rites of Spring ....

Maybe I can look around and find it somewhere out there in the Internet world !

SatJay you picked the perfect time to start this thread as the Pitchers and Catchers officially report to Lakeland today :)

Yes check youtube for Ernie, Will be a bit different this year as we will also see reminders that "captain Hook" is no longer with us as well :(

Yes around here we will have a bit of that spring feel as we are to see 50's later in the week, 40's today which felt nice!!!

I think Phil Coke is going to play an important role this year as a starter

Yes check youtube for Ernie, Will be a bit different this year as we will also see reminders that "captain Hook" is no longer with us as well :(

Yes around here we will have a bit of that spring feel as we are to see 50's later in the week, 40's today which felt nice!!!

I think Phil Coke is going to play an important role this year as a starter

Same here, I'm right below you on the map !

Yes, missing Ernie and Sparky are LARGE holes in my Tigers memories ....

For, lo, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of the singing of birds is come,
And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm so excited I can barely contain myself! Another season under the ownership of cheapskate Larry Dolan! Yah!

One thing's for certain though: we will continue to be MLB's best developmental system for young talent. Then, just as the talent peaks, we ship them away for pennies on the dollar. Cy Young? Gold Glove? Budding All-Star? Yep. Just as they show any sort of promise, they're yours. Take em! We don't want 'em!

Oh, I'm so excited I can barely contain myself! Another season under the ownership of cheapskate Larry Dolan! Yah!

One thing's for certain though: we will continue to be MLB's best developmental system for young talent. Then, just as the talent peaks, we ship them away for pennies on the dollar. Cy Young? Gold Glove? Budding All-Star? Yep. Just as they show any sort of promise, they're yours. Take em! We don't want 'em!

Ya know, that use to be the EXPOS job, I see your inheriting it :)

You could be a Pirates fan :(

Read some nice news on Zumaya today, was happy with his "secondary" pitches...man if he can stay healthy!

Read some nice news on Zumaya today, was happy with his "secondary" pitches...man if he can stay healthy!

I just read that Martinez and Leyland were very happy with what they saw from him today. :)

I really with he could get some GOOD luck for a change, having him healthy for a whole year or 3 would be a GREAT BOOST to the Tigers Bullpen. :)

looking at an old website Detroit use to have 15-25 games on local TV...go back 10 years and channel 50 carried 40 of them. 2008 they went cable only

The Twins have had 25-28 games on local TV back as far as I can go which is 1999. Its not much but for fans without cable its a nice thing to have. Sunday games were on local TV....and during the year of the infamous "Victory Sports One" channel, thats all most of us could see...the ones on local TV ;)

oh and not to go off topic but dang go back 10 years and its amazing how many games some teams had on local TV...not including the Braves and Cubs these teams had an unusual amount of games on free TV (Braves had 92 and Cubs had 78)

Arizona-75
Baltimore-65
Boston-75
Cleveland-75
Colorado-75
Florida-55
Houston-62
KC-51
LA Dodgers-50
Milwaukee-50
NY Mets-50
NY Yankees-50
Oakland-52
SF-52
Tampa Bay-65
Texas-76

so more than 1/2 the teams had at least 50 games on local TV 10 years ago. By the way these 3 had the least on free TV that year
-Montreal..none (Loria basically killing the franchise helped with that....no TV or English radio in 2000 by the way)
-Cincy...3 games
-Pittsburgh...15

oh and not to go off topic but dang go back 10 years and its amazing how many games some teams had on local TV...not including the Braves and Cubs these teams had an unusual amount of games on free TV (Braves had 92 and Cubs had 78)

Arizona-75
Baltimore-65
Boston-75
Cleveland-75
Colorado-75
Florida-55
Houston-62
KC-51
LA Dodgers-50
Milwaukee-50
NY Mets-50
NY Yankees-50
Oakland-52
SF-52
Tampa Bay-65
Texas-76

so more than 1/2 the teams had at least 50 games on local TV 10 years ago. By the way these 3 had the least on free TV that year
-Montreal..none (Loria basically killing the franchise helped with that....no TV or English radio in 2000 by the way)
-Cincy...3 games
-Pittsburgh...15

Ahhh...those were the days.

looking at an old website Detroit use to have 15-25 games on local TV...go back 10 years and channel 50 carried 40 of them. 2008 they went cable only

The Twins have had 25-28 games on local TV back as far as I can go which is 1999. Its not much but for fans without cable its a nice thing to have. Sunday games were on local TV....and during the year of the infamous "Victory Sports One" channel, thats all most of us could see...the ones on local TV ;)

Yes it was a very big deal went they went all cable, opening day is shown on our local fox channel as many comlained that the ederly or those who could not afford cable were left out from baseball. Miss those games that our local NBC game would show

After a Tigers win on our local NBC channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb1O-ASWjfo&feature=related

After a Tigers loss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu4q7yw1YEg&feature=related

And what a great announce team we had for those local games!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KAMFA1H58o

Loved that drawl from George Kell

And now I read recently that 161 of the tigers 162 will be on tv

Last edited:
yeah the Twins have 158 out of 162 games on TV this year..right now only 4 matinee games (12:10 start) arent televised......yet ;)

Iceberg said:

Yup,
Tigers were on channel 50 for a long time as well as channel 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)