2011 Big Ten Football

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Plenty of changes happening within the Big Ten Football Conference this year with the addition of Nebraska, separating the conference in two divisions (Legends and Leaders), the Big Ten championship game, changes affecting the Big Ten Network (BTN), etc. This thread is the place to discuss all things related to Big Ten Football. What this thread is not:

- It is not a place to troll (Big Ten Football isn't for everyone - go elsewhere).
- It is not a place to discuss non-Big Ten teams (unless it relates to a Big Ten team we simply don't care).
- It is not a place to attack another's team...especially when you don't have a horse in this race.
- Friendly ribbing is fine between Big Ten fans.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Good idea!

Guess what time it is? 11:48am. And Michigan STILL sucks!!!!!!!! ;)

Goooooooooooooooooooooo BUCKS!!!

Yeah, but we've finally run AD Bill Martin and HC Rich Rodriguez out-of-town and brought in a coaching staff who will return to playing hard-nosed Michigan football. Things are looking up in Ann Arbor. :)

Four to the Top 10 Winningest Football Programs play in the Big Ten

1 Michigan 0.73453 884 308 36 1228
2 Notre Dame 0.73266 845 295 42 1182
3 Texas 0.71730 850 325 33 1208
4 Oklahoma 0.71704 811 304 53 1168
5 Ohio State 0.71592 819 309 53 1181
6 Alabama 0.70747 802 319 43 1164
7 Southern Cal 0.70496 783 312 54 1149
8 Nebraska 0.70131 837 345 40 1222
9 Tennessee 0.68993 789 340 53 1182
10 Penn State 0.68940 818 357 42 1217

Rambling Big Ten thoughts on the upcoming season...

Back on topic...plenty of unknowns going into the season:

1. How will Michigan fare now that the Rich Rodriguez experiment has ended. IMO, they can only improve! Of course, what prompted Michigan AD Bill Martin to bring-in Rich Rodriguez---a man who single-handedly decimated the Wolverine football program---and permitted him to completely change a system that produced 40+ consecutive winning seasons is beyond me. Offhand, the Wolverines have improved from top-to-bottom in every category. Still, it's hard to imagine they will finish higher than 8-5'ish closing the season against Nebraska and Ohio State. We shall see.

2. How will Ohio State fare after Coach Tressel was "encouraged" to resign and Pryor decided to leave? Offhand, Tressel's departure will be a huge blow for the Buckeyes. However, Pryor won't be missed one bit. Of course, how will Coach Luke Fickell and the rest of the Buckeye football team fare after taking a beating in the press during the offseason? Well, that's beyond me but I'm sure Jimbo and HD will chime-in.

3. How will Nebraska fare after switching conferences and having to play a Big Ten schedule? As you'll recall, Penn State took a few lumps after making the move to the Big Ten. However, the Cornhuskers are loaded with talent which should make the transition much easier. I'm looking forward to hearing from the avid 'Husker fans.

4. Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota and Northwestern appear to be in trouble this season. Unless I'm missing something, I see these teams battling for the bottom spots in the conference.

5. The it could go either way teams: Illinios, Michigan, Penn State, Iowa, and Nebraska. I see these team as solid .500 squads with a potential for much more. For Michigan it all depends on the defense (which was horrible under RR). But Coach Hoke is big on "defense" and their offense should once again be solid. I placed Nebraska in the "it could go either way" category simply because they will be playing in the Big Ten conference and will be facing a lot of new teams. It should be interesting to see what happens and how well they fare.

6. Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin seem to have the best opportunity to compete for the Big Ten Championship. Of course, Nebraska can easily be thrown into this mix (we'll see after week 5) and Michigan also has an outside shot if they somehow "find" their defense - it has been missing since 2007. We shall see.

Thoughts and opinions anyone?

Nebraska fits the Big-10. They've always been a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense, with rare flashes from a Johnny Rogers type back. The defense is solid like many Big-10 programs. I predict the over/under at 20 for a lot of their games.

When you're talking about "Big 10," do you mean the Big 10 with 12 little teams...or the Big 12 with 10 big teams? I get confused these days. ;) :D

I think Nebraska will win the Big 10 this year. They have a strong team returning and not many other Big 10 teams have such a strong core coming back. I will however find it funny when the Big 12 (ex) team wins the Big 10 their first year.. Will show just how mighty the big 10(2) is.

I think Nebraska will win the Big 10 this year. They have a strong team returning and not many other Big 10 teams have such a strong core coming back. I will however find it funny when the Big 12 (ex) team wins the Big 10 their first year.. Will show just how mighty the big 10(2) is.

I won't disagree, but it's hard playing what equates to a lot of "out of conference" games since Nebraska is the new kid on the block. They could run the table, but they are also going to have some difficulty preparing for teams they are not intimately familiar with playing. Regardless, I look forward to playing Nebraska.

Or, how strong a very good Nebraska team is.

I really like the moves M made this off season, they will be back soon.

I feel the same way. Defense can go nowhere but up; Offense is just as solid and hopefully more disciplined; specials teams...kicking...punting...all improved; they even managed to pickup a couple Ohio State recruits after Tressel's troubles. Still, Michigan doesn't have the talent Ohio States does after RR flat-lined the program...but at least they are going to play tough, solid and competitive ball.

I feel the same way. Defense can go nowhere but up; Offense is just as solid and hopefully more disciplined; specials teams...kicking...punting...all improved; they even managed to pickup a couple Ohio State recruits after Tressel's troubles. Still, Michigan doesn't have the talent Ohio States does after RR flat-lined the program...but at least they are going to play tough, solid and competitive ball.

When RR came on board there was talk that it would take M 2 years to get RR's system down (and the type of players he requires) and the same when he left.

Btw, I've lost track, did RR leave after last season ? , it seams like it's been much longer.

When RR came on board there was talk that it would take M 2 years to get RR's system down (and the type of players he requires) and the same when he left.

Btw, I've lost track, did RR leave after last season ? , it seams like it's been much longer.

He left after compiling a 15-22 record, which is the worst of any Head Coach in Michigan history. He left after last season...three seasons too late IMO. While it make take some time to recover from the RR experiment, the University has brought in the right people to support the new Head Coach. I don't think you'll see 1/5th the amount of missed tackles and wide open receivers as you did during the RR era.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)