2011 Big Ten Football

huh guess I was right on that one ;)

Its gonna be UGLY next Saturday at the big house. Too bad Big10 Net only has that game at 11:00 CDT and no backup

I think it's safe to say Minnesota will continue to be their own worst enemy this season. I'm not convinced Michigan is a Top 20 team this season, but they are certainly going to be walking off the field with the Little Brown Jug.

BTW, what in tarnation is a "Golden" Gopher? I've never seen one!

Late Games:

Colorado 17 Ohio State 37
South Dakota 10 Wisconsin 59
Western Michigan 20 Illinois 23

Game Notes: (by Riff)

• Ohio State confirmed what I suspected...Colorado was overrated and using anyone other than Boeserman at QB is an improvement.
  • Wisconsin continues to roll...now, they just need to prove they are the best team against Big Ten opponents.
  • Illinois didn't play a great game but held on to win over a decent Western Michigan team. Additionally, they are off to their first 4-0 start since 1951. Yikes!

Colorado was rated ?

No, just overrated. I listened to probably a half-dozen college football "experts" say Colorado would stay within 8-10 points of the Buckeyes...and one knucklehead even predicted an upset. They obviously saw something in Colorado that didn't exist.

My point was, don't you have to be RATED before you can be Overrated ?

I had NO IDEA what to expect in that game going in, Freshman QB starting his first game .... I had not heard ANYTHING about Colorado, good OR Bad.

Buckeyes still need to egt a passing offense going, at least a threat of one anyways.

IF things stay the same (however I doubt it will) it will be the Denard vs Braxton, running the QB show come the end of November.

My point was, don't you have to be RATED before you can be Overrated ?

I had NO IDEA what to expect in that game going in, Freshman QB starting his first game .... I had not heard ANYTHING about Colorado, good OR Bad.

Buckeyes still need to egt a passing offense going, at least a threat of one anyways.

IF things stay the same (however I doubt it will) it will be the Denard vs Braxton, running the QB show come the end of November.

There are 120 college football teams. Someone can be rated #119 and still be overrated. And yes, people actually rank all 120 teams...although it seems like a waste of time IMO.

College Football Ranking Comparison

Week 5 Schedule and Television Coverage

Source (my picks are bolded)

Sat 10/01/11 Minnesota @ Michigan BTN 12:00 PM ET
Sat 10/01/11 Northwestern @ Illinois ESPN2 12:00 PM ET
Sat 10/01/11 Penn State @ Indiana ESPNU 12:00 PM ET
Sat 10/01/11 Michigan State @ Ohio State ABC 3:30 PM ET
Sat 10/01/11 Nebraska @ Wisconsin ABC 8:00 PM ET
Sat 10/01/11 Notre Dame @ Purdue ESPN 8:00 PM ET

Bye Week: Iowa

- Michigan and Penn State will romp; Illinios and Notre Dame will win; Michigan State will find a way to fall-apart against the Buckeyes; and (I think) Wisconsin will show everyone how good they are at home against Nebraska.

Jimbo,

This week's game against Michigan State should give y'all a good idea how well your freshman QB will fare in the Big Ten this year. The Spartans have some problems on Defense but they are "good enough" to give a rookie QB a lot of problems. I think this will be a competitive game for 3-quarters....but the OSU proves to be too physical in the 4th quarter. We shall see...

Jimbo,

This week's game against Michigan State should give y'all a good idea how well your freshman QB will fare in the Big Ten this year. The Spartans have some problems on Defense but they are "good enough" to give a rookie QB a lot of problems. I think this will be a competitive game for 3-quarters....but the OSU proves to be too physical in the 4th quarter. We shall see...

I don't know .... ya never know what to expect with a QB starting his 2 game.
Right now he looks like Pryor did in his first season, take the snap, look at your primary recvr, pull it down and run.
I would much rather he hang in there and let the plays develop, never gonna have a passing game if he doesn't TRY. Now that said, I don't want to MAKE him stay in the pocket.
I do know that Fickell, like Tressell preaches Ball safety, no turnovers.
The Center has to get better at getting the ball to him when in the Shotgun, there have been at least a half dozen really BAD snaps.

I just want to see him play and learn this year.
He suppose to be a better passer than Pryor, but then, thats REALLY not hard to do.

As much fun as it is to watch Denard Robinson run with the ball, I have always hated the Run 'n Shoot QB. I would much rather see Michigan use a traditional pocket-passer (e.g., Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Elvis Grbac, Brian Griese, etc.) and have Robinson rotate between WR and FB. Unfortunately/Fortunately, the offense is built around Robinson right now...so you use what you have. Miller appears to have the ability to be a more versatile than Pryor or Robinson...but he will need to prove himself on the grid-iron. Saturday's game against the Spartans should be a good test.

riffjim4069 said:
As much fun as it is to watch Denard Robinson run with the ball, I have always hated the Run 'n Shoot QB. I would much rather see Michigan use a traditional pocket-passer (e.g., Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Elvis Grbac, Brian Griese, etc.) and have Robinson rotate between WR and FB. Unfortunately/Fortunately, the offense is built around Robinson right now...so you use what you have. Miller appears to have the ability to be a more versatile than Pryor or Robinson...but he will need to prove himself on the grid-iron. Saturday's game against the Spartans should be a good test.

I agree hoke is doing the right thing in
Using the personel he has now and not do a complete change, one he gets his style qb then we will see more change back to traditional Michigan offense

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

I say by halftime of the early game the Big 10 Network guys will be thinking "damn wish we had a backup game to go to. This game really sucks" aka Michigan will roll over the Goofs

I say by halftime of the early game the Big 10 Network guys will be thinking "damn wish we had a backup game to go to. This game really sucks" aka Michigan will roll over the Goofs

Michigan fans will watch it to the end. Plus, I'm not totally convinced the Gophers will not be competitive...for a quarter or a half. We shall see...

Big Ten begins 116th season of conference play with debut of Nebraska and divisional play

Source

Let Conference Games Begin: The 116th season of Big Ten football begins Saturday with five conference matchups kicking off the chase to earn a spot in the inaugural Big Ten Football Championship Game. Since 2000, nine different teams have earned at least a share of the Big Ten title, a group that includes Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin.

Divisional Play Underway: Saturday's games also mark the beginning of the first season of divisional play in Big Ten history. With the addition of Nebraska, the conference's 12 teams now play in either the Legends Division or the Leaders Division. Each school will play the other five schools within its division and will also face three teams from the other division, including one cross-division matchup guaranteed on an annual basis. The guaranteed cross-division matchups are Iowa-Purdue, Michigan-Ohio State, Michigan State-Indiana, Minnesota-Wisconsin, Nebraska-Penn State and Northwestern-Illinois.

Full Story

Nebraska or Wisconsin? The Cornhuskers kick-off their Big Ten schedule tomorrow but they run into a very complete looking Badger team. So who wins this historic game? Offhand, I like some things about Nebraska, but I feel Wisconsin has too much talent and are going to win at home. We shall see...

Michigan goes into their Big Ten opener undefeated. Of course, they have started 4-0 the past two years under Rich Rodriguez before his spread-offensive and no defense (atypical of Michigan) got shredded by their Big Ten opponents. All I can say is that Coach Hoke has them headed in the right direction and they will complete for the Big Ten title this year regardless of needing some recruiting improvements. In fact, I can see them starting 8-0 before running into Illinois, Nebraska and Ohio State at the end of the season. We shall see...

Nebraska or Wisconsin? The Cornhuskers kick-off their Big Ten schedule tomorrow but they run into a very complete looking Badger team. So who wins this historic game? Offhand, I like some things about Nebraska, but I feel Wisconsin has too much talent and are going to win at home. We shall see...

Wisconsin, I hope.

Michigan fans will watch it to the end. Plus, I'm not totally convinced the Gophers will not be competitive...for a quarter or a half. We shall see...

oh I know but when there are 2 games on at same time Big10 usually flips between the two. Noticed that a couple weeks ago when it says Minnesota is on Directv 610 (main channel) yet it was also on 612. Big10 site says 612 will have the game in its entirety

All I'm saying is this may get ugly

oh I know but when there are 2 games on at same time Big10 usually flips between the two. Noticed that a couple weeks ago when it says Minnesota is on Directv 610 (main channel) yet it was also on 612. Big10 site says 612 will have the game in its entirety

All I'm saying is this may get ugly

I hope it gets ugly because it means Michigan will finally execute for an entire four-quarters.

NFL Week 11 Picks

Wings and CI on Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)