2012 NFL Draft

If we hang on to our two #1's, I think we'd be in position to draft both Trent Richardson (RB, Alabama) AND a WR later in the round

Now your thinking ....
Not sure which way I think would work out better for you guys, getting Richardson and a WR, or not and drafting Luck.

IF you get Luck, at least you know he can play in cold weather ....

Well whether its your opinion ,mestevos or mine one thing is for sure ,the investment made in Palmer by the raiders guarantees he will be your starter next season.not Jason. He will have no excuses next season if he doesn't meet expectations. And I wouldn't worry about giving up two number one picks because if the raiders make the playoffs I doubt they will win a playoff game.

LOL! OK... IF they get in, they will win. Just gotta ge in. :D

There is NO DOUBT there is plenty of zip on "his fastball". He has clearly shown it all season. The question has been is his leadership qualities. I would agree with this questioning. Last week a heard a quote that I totally agree with. 'A true QB can lead his team when he has not had a good game to start it, but his leadership determines the end of it(the game)'. Last week, he was able to lead the team with a bad start...I only hope he can add to it.
My expectations for the raiders next season is to separate themselves from the pack and win a playoff game. I'm not expecting more than that for next season. With your key pieces healthy and Palmer in sync with the receivers there's no reason not to expect that the raiders run away with that division .

They've been down that road before and still came up with 11-12 wins.
Not saying losing Brady wouldn't be a big loss.

They lost 5 games more than they did the prior year with a softer schedule, and did not qualify for the playoffs. So yeah, it was a devastating loss.

My expectations for the raiders next season is to separate themselves from the pack and win a playoff game. I'm not expecting more than that for next season. With your key pieces healthy and Palmer in sync with the receivers there's no reason not to expect that the raiders run away with that division .

Thats easy to say at the start of a season, but as we all know, typically ALL teams have injuries that shape thier season, if they can stay healthy, thats a start, then they need to take a page from the Lions (working on) and become more disciplined.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if all teams were HEALTHY thru a season into the playoffs ....

GB has been the healthiest team this year till recently, ya see where they are ...

Thats easy to say at the start of a season, but as we all know, typically ALL teams have injuries that shape thier season, if they can stay healthy, thats a start, then they need to take a page from the Lions (working on) and become more disciplined.
That too Jim yes.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if all teams were HEALTHY thru a season into the playoffs ....

GB has been the healthiest team this year till recently, ya see where they are ...

Impossible. All you can hope for is that most of your key pieces are healthy.And there are always a few teams that become mash units

Let me ask you bud,would you want them to win a playoff game this season or would you rather see them get in, lose and keep that other first round pick ?

It's not a matter of hording your picks. I think the WHOLE intent is to win a Super Bowl. Once you get in, who knows, a bounce or two your way...and suddenly, you are the Arizona Cardinals, Seattle Seahawks, New Orleans Saints, Carolina Panthers, St. Louis Rams, the Atlanta Falcons....and even last years Green Bay Packers.

Teams that at the beginning of the year..were not predicted to smell the chance of a Super Bowl. Now I am in NO WAY comparing the Packers to the Raiders, but last year, they were 2-2 the last 4 games of the season and barely made the playoffs. They needed help to get the very last wildcard spot(2 teams needed to lose on top of them winning). YES, they have turned out to be an AMAZING team...but no one predicted them to win the Super Bowl.

So, your answer is yes. I want them in the playoffs right now. The Raiders are within a player or two addition to be a Super Bowl contender(barring any major injuries like this year). Cause like I listed above, once you are in...ANYTHING can happen.

It's not a matter of hording your picks. I think the WHOLE intent is to win a Super Bowl. Once you get in, who knows, a bounce or two your way...and suddenly, you are the Arizona Cardinals, Seattle Seahawks, New Orleans Saints, Carolina Panthers, St. Louis Rams, the Atlanta Falcons....and even last years Green Bay Packers.

Teams that at the beginning of the year..were not predicted to smell the chance of a Super Bowl. Now I am in NO WAY comparing the Packers to the Raiders, but last year, they were 2-2 the last 4 games of the season and barely made the playoffs. They needed help to get the very last wildcard spot(2 teams needed to lose on top of them winning). YES, they have turned out to be an AMAZING team...but no one predicted them to win the Super Bowl.

So, your answer is yes. I want them in the playoffs right now. The Raiders are within a player or two addition to be a Super Bowl contender(barring any major injuries like this year). Cause like I listed above, once you are in...ANYTHING can happen.
I agree and I know the point is to get to the big game but unless you're hot like the packers were last year heading into the playoffs ,the chances of advancing are low. Yes anything can happen but most of us can pretty much tell if any of our teams will be able to get far into the post season or not. I guess that's why they play the game but personally if I'm pretty sure my team isn't winning the superbowl this season,I would rather lose the playoff and keep that pick to continue to build the team for the future.but that's me. I do understand what you're saying.

Well whether its your opinion ,mestevos or mine one thing is for sure ,the investment made in Palmer by the raiders guarantees he will be your starter next season.not Jason. He will have no excuses next season if he doesn't meet expectations. And I wouldn't worry about giving up two number one picks because if the raiders make the playoffs I doubt they will win a playoff game.

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying. The transition has been made.

You can say Campbell can come in and compete for the job and talk about Kyle Orton all you like, but we all know whose job it is in Oakland now.

Sandra

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying. The transition has been made.

You can say Campbell can come in and compete for the job and talk about Kyle Orton all you like, but we all know whose job it is in Oakland now.

Sandra

Alright.... LMAO...I will agree to disagree at this point and move along. Because teams have invested in players may times over and they have cut/released/traded/benched for the cheaper version that can do the job.

It was done in Denver...and will be done many times over. Might be doen to Bradford in St. Louis in for the chance at Luck. He is the LAST of the #1 QBs for big money..I mean REAL big money. And/or ALSO to Manning, who is due to him by the Colts... in the tune of $28 million PLUS....but willing to ditch THAT to draft Luck.

But will move along...

I agree and I know the point is to get to the big game but unless you're hot like the packers were last year heading into the playoffs ,the chances of advancing are low. Yes anything can happen but most of us can pretty much tell if any of our teams will be able to get far into the post season or not. I guess that's why they play the game but personally if I'm pretty sure my team isn't winning the superbowl this season,I would rather lose the playoff and keep that pick to continue to build the team for the future.but that's me. I do understand what you're saying.

Rey...that's just it. YOU, ME no one knows. Tell me, when the Dolphins were 0-7...you were more than likely thinking another 0-for-season and be right up there in the Luck race.

Guess what? :D

Alright.... LMAO...I will agree to disagree at this point and move along. Because teams have invested in players may times over and they have cut/released/traded/benched for the cheaper version that can do the job.

It was done in Denver...and will be done many times over. Might be doen to Bradford in St. Louis in for the chance at Luck. He is the LAST of the #1 QBs for big money..I mean REAL big money. And/or ALSO to Manning, who is due to him by the Colts... in the tune of $28 million PLUS....but willing to ditch THAT to draft Luck.

But will move along...

Sounds good...like you I'll make my last comment and then do the 'move along' thing too!

Everyone knows the ONLY was this is also happening to Manning is IF there are concerns that Manning will come back completely healthy. Even the people on the side of drafting Luck in Indy say that. If Manning is healthy, stay with Peyton and trade the pick for a boatload of other picks. If not, start looking at Luck.

Tebow is a phenomenon that just doesn't happen very often. Nobody can explain it.

Will it happen to Bradford? Not sure. Difficult to imagine, but with the coaching change looming, the ties to Bradford get a little frayed.

But I AGREE with you, that we should agree to disagree here and both do your 'move along' thing now.

Good call!

Sandra

Last edited:

I think it's hard to say this with coaching uncertainty. They'll at least have a new defensive coordinator and that could completely make or break the team's chances by itself (is essentially why the team is in the position it is now, in addition to Palmer's 14 INTs). Before the offseason is over, they could bring in a GM, dump Hue, bring in a new coach, etc. While the Raiders have only a few draft picks, a lot of movement can be expected with that franchise this offseason.

I think it's hard to say this with coaching uncertainty. They'll at least have a new defensive coordinator and that could completely make or break the team's chances by itself (is essentially why the team is in the position it is now, in addition to Palmer's 14 INTs). Before the offseason is over, they could bring in a GM, dump Hue, bring in a new coach, etc. While the Raiders have only a few draft picks, a lot of movement can be expected with that franchise this offseason.

Right now..the only uncertainty on the Raiders coaching staff is Breshnahan. Hue is there whether a GM is brought in or not...at least for the immediate future(as in next year and MAYBE they year after). The main reason they are in the position they are in now, fighting for playoff life has MORE to do with injuries and less to do with Palmer. How many teams can lose a starting LB(Goethel), starting DL(Shaunnessy), starting CB(Johnson), a FS(Hiram) starting QB(Campbell), starting RB(McFadden), starting WRs(Ford, Moore) for at least 1/3 of the season...and still function? Not to mention other players that have missed a less than 5 games but more than 3(Mitchell-SS, Huff-FS). Now you are taxing your bench and making trades that for the most part, you would not be making.

I am hoping/assuming that by losing player like Zack Miller, Nnamdi and Robert Gallery, the Raiders as suppose to be compensated at the very best at least 2 or 3 3rd round picks. They will not lose those.

I am hoping/assuming that by losing player like Zack Miller, Nnamdi and Robert Gallery, the Raiders as suppose to be compensated at the very best at least 2 or 3 3rd round picks. They will not lose those.

Signing other free agents offsets that loss though, Kevin Boss outplayed Zach Miller, and the Raiders paid him more this year than Miller makes. They won't get a compensatory pick for him. Gallery only played in 11 games and has a decent contract, and Namdi hasn't had the best of years either, but both should get them.

In the end, it's the sum of these free agent losses, their performance with their new teams and the contracts they signed vs what the Raiders gained. The addition of Curry, Palmer, Boss and others will decrease the value and number of compensatory picks. There are few teams deserving of a 3rd more than Oakland, but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get it and their pick(s) were much later. Even if Curry and Palmer don't count because they were trades, you're kind of overshooting what I think anyone has ever gotten for and number of players before.

We'll find out in March, but there's absolutely no way (and this is likely true historically) that a team will get 3 3rd round compensatory picks.

Last edited: