Roger Clemens Is Indicted

Congress has no business getting involved in the private doings of a private business when no laws are broken. When they are broken, other government law enforcement agencies are responsible, not Congress.

He should not have even been put in a position to begin with. This much power is frightening.

Steroids are illegal

Sandra

The MLB has an antitrust exemption that puts it's affairs squarely within the jurisdiction of Congress to investigate and intervene where appropriate, in addition to federal laws they've enacted and are able to investigate.

All that political mumbo jumbo aside, if the dude lied I am not sure what there is to debate.

The MLB has an antitrust exemption that puts it's affairs squarely within the jurisdiction of Congress to investigate and intervene where appropriate, in addition to federal laws they've enacted and are able to investigate.

All that political mumbo jumbo aside, if the dude lied I am not sure what there is to debate.

I think a bunch of others lied too, when is Bonds gonna be brought in to Congress ?

Wonder why they didn't bring him in for this little conference they had in front of everyone when the others had to be there ?

Not necessarily, not all of them, and they were not in violation of baseball rules. Purchasing drugs on a black market is illegal.

The steroids that were being discussed are illegal. That is not open to debate.

Illegal or not, it is still not the responsibility of Congress to investigate. If they are illegal and have evidence that he lied, then they also have evidenced he used. Why not then bring him up on charges of use and purchase?

This indictment is for perjury. It does not mean there will or won't be other charges down the road.

Sandra

Perjury over something that should have never occurred to begin with. That is my point.

I am more concerned over the actions and power of Congress vs the actions of one baseball player. This one player has little impact on me or this country. This much power of Congress has a huge impact on both.

Then that's probably a discussion best taken to Sonicbabble.

Perjury over something that should have never occurred to begin with. That is my point.

It never should have occurred because Clemens talked to Congress VOLUNTARILY. He was not subpoaned but he wanted to clear his name.

Regardless how he got there, once you are under oath you open yourself up to perjury charges if you lie. Clemens knew that before he testified.

Sandra

I don't know why but Jose Canseco was caught lying about Clemens being at that party. I don't know why he said he wasn't .

As for Roger he should have fessed up. Now we know more about him then ever before. He cheated on his wife , he used steroids.

It never should have occurred because Clemens talked to Congress VOLUNTARILY. He was not subpoaned but he wanted to clear his name.

Regardless how he got there, once you are under oath you open yourself up to perjury charges if you lie. Clemens knew that before he testified.

Sandra
Thats why they all sought immunity before going to congress, I thought some of them were allow it ?

I am not denying that, nor have I stated otherwise. Lying under oath has consequences. Violating rules has consequences. What is even worse, Congress overstepping it limits has even greater consequences.

Congress and it's limits are a different conversation. Clemens knew what the consequences were if he lied, and he lied anyway because he wanted to 'clear his name'. He shouln't have lied.

Sandra

I don't know why but Jose Canseco was caught lying about Clemens being at that party. I don't know why he said he wasn't .

As for Roger he should have fessed up. Now we know more about him then ever before. He cheated on his wife , he used steroids.

I don't understand how Conseco who started this whole mess with steroids is getting off scott free so far.
His ASS should be the first one hung in the line up.

Thats why they all sought immunity before going to congress, I thought some of them were allow it ?

I think the nature of the Clemens and Bonds testimonies were different for some reason, but by no means am I a legal expert. Despite my intense fascination that I remembered 'Res Ipsa Loquiter' from my Business Law class at St. John's. :)

Sandra

I don't understand how Conseco who started this whole mess with steroids is getting off scott free so far.

I don't think Canseco lied about using steroids though, did he? Wasn't the whole point of him talking to Congress for him to talk ABOUT using steroids? I think he wanted (not sure if he was granted) immunity from talking about doing steroids, WHICH ARE ILLEGAL.

But I do not believe he lied about using them, as Clemens allegedly did.

Sandra

Thanks for reminding everyone about the antitrust exemption regarding our National Pastime.

I don't think Canseco lied about using steroids though, did he? Wasn't the whole point of him talking to Congress for him to talk ABOUT using steroids? I think he wanted (not sure if he was granted) immunity from talking about doing steroids, WHICH ARE ILLEGAL.

But I do not believe he lied about using them, as Clemens allegedly did.

Sandra

He started the whole thing, how can he walk free ?

Conseco hasn't lied in front of Congress. That being said, Conseco is also scum. Why do I say that? Because I would have more respect for him if he had just came out and talked about steroid use in baseball. Instead he writes books about it. Also, he's not as honest as some who defend him say he is. He has yet to explain why he said Clemens wasn't at that party when others said he was. He had no answer for it. What's he hiding? I think he still takes steroids. Canseco was detained by immigration officials at a San Diego border crossing as he tried to bring a fertility drug from Mexico in 2008

He started the whole thing, how can he walk free ?

Not sure what you're getting at Jimbo. Canseco came forward with information, he didn't lie about anything in front of Congress. He may even have received immunity before he testified, I don't remember.

Now that would not be immunity from perjury, but immunity from prosecution on charges he used steroids. As far as I can remember, nobody was charged for actually using steroids.

I don't see any reason Canseco should not walk free. :confused:

Sandra

...I remembered 'Res Ipsa Loquiter' from my Business Law class at St. John's. :)

Sandra

And I remembered it from the first episode of NYPD Blue. It set up Detective Sipowicz for the greatest witless comeback of all time.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts