Roger Clemens Is Indicted

Not sure what you're getting at Jimbo. Canseco came forward with information, he didn't lie about anything in front of Congress. He may even have received immunity before he testified, I don't remember.

Now that would not be immunity from perjury, but immunity from prosecution on charges he used steroids. As far as I can remember, nobody was charged for actually using steroids.

I don't see any reason Canseco should not walk free. :confused:

Sandra
As you keep saying, Steroids are Illegal. He's the one that started it ALL, without him starting it we probably would not be in this mess now.

He started it and you want to let him go free :rant:

As you keep saying, Steroids are Illegal. He's the one that started it ALL, without him starting it we probably would not be in this mess now.

He started it and you want to let him go free :rant:

I'm not sure that the goal of Congress is to prosecute anyone that tests positive or admits to using steroids. If that were the case there would be a whole lot of prosecution going on right now. I think they wanted baseball to take care of the steroid problem, and baseball was not.

It seriously infuriates Congress to be lied to under oath, however. You know that going in, and you lie at your own risk. Mark McGwire was publicly scorned by answering questons with his 'I'm not here to talk about the past' BS. He managed to not perjure himself, but he was humiliated in the process. Roger Clemens handled his testimony differently.

What did Canseco start, actually? You can call this a 'mess' but if Canseco and Congress not gotten involved we may still have ridiculously feeble steroid rules in MLB. Canseco may have prevented a future Ken Caminiti from happening.

Sandra

I'm not sure that the goal of Congress is to prosecute anyone that tests positive or admits to using steroids. If that were the case there would be a whole lot of prosecution going on right now. I think they wanted baseball to take care of the steroid problem, and baseball was not.

It seriously infuriates Congress to be lied to under oath, however. You know that going in, and you lie at your own risk. Mark McGwire was publicly scorned by answering questons with his 'I'm not here to talk about the past' BS. He managed to not perjure himself, but he was humiliated in the process. Roger Clemens handled his testimony differently.

What did Canseco start, actually? You can call this a 'mess' but if Canseco and Congress not gotten involved we may still have ridiculously feeble steroid rules in MLB. Canseco may have prevented a future Ken Caminiti from happening.

Sandra
So the guy who started this whole mess is somehow a HERO ?

If you remember, he's the one that introduced the steriods to others to start all this.

So the guy who started this whole mess is somehow a HERO ?

If you remember, he's the one that introduced the steriods to others to start all this.

Clemens lied to congress. Canseco did not. That's why Clemens was indicted and Canseco was not. NOBODY has been charged with using steroids. Not Canseco, not Clemens, not McGwire, not Brady Anderson, not A-Rod, nobody.

Sandra

Clemens lied to congress. Canseco did not. That's why Clemens was indicted and Canseco was not. NOBODY has been charged with using steroids. Not Canseco, not Clemens, not McGwire, not Brady Anderson, not A-Rod, nobody.

Sandra

Why not, they all should be charged if they took them without a Dr. legit prescription.

I have been on steroids before, but it has always been a medical issue for them.

Why not, they all should be charged if they took them without a Dr. legit prescription.

I have been on steroids before, but it has always been a medical issue for them.

Perhaps they'll get around to that, but don't hold your breath. The burden of proof would be difficult to overcome. Remember, many of the names on the list were 'leaked'.

Sandra

Perhaps they'll get around to that, but don't hold your breath. The burden of proof would be difficult to overcome. Remember, many of the names on the list were 'leaked'.

Sandra
Just think, we get to go thru the same thing again next year as the list has not been fully leaked yet.

From hearing the New tonight, it looks like it's gonna come down to a He said / he said as neither of them have a way to PROVE either one is lying .....

As they said, unless there is a syringe that has both Clemon's DNA and steroids on it.

Well Clemens lawyer Rusty Hardin has made a statement. Ol' Rusty is legendary in this part of the country. He represented J. Howard Marshall's family against Anna Nicole Smith when they were fighting over his estate. When cross-examining Anna Nicole, he asked her if she had been taking new acting lessons. She burst out with "Screw you, Rusty!" I am not into watching trials, but that one was an absolute circus.

I don't think that his combination of arrogance and good old boy is going to serve Clemens very well in this case though.

Video | Houston Chronicle | chron.com

Listening to sports talk radio and they're saying there is a FIFTEEN YEAR potential sentence! But with super-duper-extraordinary athlete lawyers, he'll probably only do 2-3 years of hard time.

Just think, we get to go thru the same thing again next year as the list has not been fully leaked yet.

Jimbo...they are not prosecuting guys who took steroids. They're not. Not now, probably not ever. You can debate whether they should or not, but that's a separate debate. The revelation of more names does not mean more indictments.

Clemens was indicted for lying to Congress under oath. Different issue.

Sandra

Listening to sports talk radio and they're saying there is a FIFTEEN YEAR potential sentence! But with super-duper-extraordinary athlete lawyers, he'll probably only do 2-3 years of hard time.

First he has to be convicted. Indictments and convictions are two different things. The grand jury process is heavily weighted toward the prosecution. The actual trial is a different story.

Sandra

Jimbo...they are not prosecuting guys who took steroids. They're not. Not now, probably not ever. You can debate whether they should or not, but that's a separate debate. The revelation of more names does not mean more indictments.

Clemens was indicted for lying to Congress under oath. Different issue.

Sandra

And had he came out and said , YES I DID IT, he would have been tried for using illegal steroids.

Or he can go for a Plea bargain, but it doesn't look like he's going to listen to any of that.

IF he truely is honest and has NOT done any then he's gonna go down the road that no one is gonna believe him when he's done any ways.

What about Bonds, he's now out of the spot light, but he's just as guilty as anyone else ....
What happened to that guy that went to jail to keep Bonds out of jail, wonder how he's feeling ?
Is he out now ?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sitting in jail for months and months because a supposive buddy said so, while he's out having a good time.

And had he came out and said , YES I DID IT, he would have been tried for using illegal steroids.

One more time...NOBODY has been tried for using steroids.

The bottom line is Clemens did not have to say 'YES I DID IT'. He did not have to say one word. Congress did not bring Clemens in for questioning, Clemens brought himself to Congress, on his high horse, determined to uphold his own legacy.

Sandra

What about Bonds, he's now out of the spot light, but he's just as guilty as anyone else ....
What happened to that guy that went to jail to keep Bonds out of jail, wonder how he's feeling ?
Is he out now ?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sitting in jail for months and months because a supposive buddy said so, while he's out having a good time.

Bonds was indicted for perjury too. Not sure if a trial date has been set yet.

Sandra