Roger Clemens Is Indicted

Steroids are illegal
They're not illegal, they are listed as a controlled substance, which means that since 1990 you are required to have a prescription (prior to 1990, they were not controlled).

They're also uncontrolled in Mexico, where you can legally buy them over the counter, so someone could just train down in cancun and get legally juiced up.

There's also the prescription route, my daughter has asthma and been prescribed steroids several times.

They're not illegal, they are listed as a controlled substance, which means that since 1990 you are required to have a prescription (prior to 1990, they were not controlled).

They're also uncontrolled in Mexico, where you can legally buy them over the counter, so someone could just train down in cancun and get legally juiced up.

There's also the prescription route, my daughter has asthma and been prescribed steroids several times.

While everything you said is true, my 'steroids are illegal' statement was meant as they apply to the current major league baseball issue. It was in response to someone who seemed to imply that players did nothing wrong by taking steroids because they were not against MLB rules at the time.

Sandra

While everything you said is true, my 'steroids are illegal' statement was meant as they apply to the current major league baseball issue.
Which is why Congress should not be involved in that issue. Internal sports rules are none of their concerns. Their concerns should only be limited to illegal trafficking of the steroids, not whether or not a sports league governs them.

Which is why Congress should not be involved in that issue. Internal sports rules are none of their concerns. Their concerns should only be limited to illegal trafficking of the steroids, not whether or not a sports league governs them.

Different argument, but as mstevo stated, baseball's anti-trust exemption makes this relevant to Congress.

Sandra

It never should have occurred because Clemens talked to Congress VOLUNTARILY. He was not subpoaned but he wanted to clear his name.

Regardless how he got there, once you are under oath you open yourself up to perjury charges if you lie. Clemens knew that before he testified.

Sandra

Excellent point that the whole issue of the indictment. He went on his own and it came back to bite him in the a$$!

I don't know why but Jose Canseco was caught lying about Clemens being at that party. I don't know why he said he wasn't .

As for Roger he should have fessed up. Now we know more about him then ever before. He cheated on his wife , he used steroids.

He TOO also threw his wife under the bus to Congress as well. In all this PED stuff, no has looked more foolish and been more of a coward than Roger Clemens.

I don't understand how Conseco who started this whole mess with steroids is getting off scott free so far.
His ASS should be the first one hung in the line up.

IF I am not mistaken, he has never denied taking steriods. Everyone else has. I never thought I would say this, but the only person that has been legit in all this has been .....*gulp* ...Jose Canseco.

What about Bonds, he's now out of the spot light, but he's just as guilty as anyone else ....
What happened to that guy that went to jail to keep Bonds out of jail, wonder how he's feeling ?
Is he out now ?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sitting in jail for months and months because a supposive buddy said so, while he's out having a good time.

That guy did a couple of months...and I assure you Bonds to REAL "good care" of him.....$$$$ ;)

IF I am not mistaken, he has never denied taking steriods. Everyone else has. I never thought I would say this, but the only person that has been legit in all this has been .....*gulp* ...Jose Canseco.

Well 'everyone else has' is not entirely true. A-Rod didn't deny it. Pettite didn't. Pretty sure Ortiz didn't and there are probably others. But Clemens was the one so worried about his legacy that he felt the need to allegedly perjure himself.

Sandra

Well 'everyone else has' is not entirely true. A-Rod didn't deny it. Pettite didn't. Pretty sure Ortiz didn't and there are probably others. But Clemens was the one so worried about his legacy that he felt the need to allegedly perjure himself.

Sandra

Long ways till this one will be over.

Wow....Roger's "good friend" throws him under the bus yesterday.

"Roger had mentioned to me that he had taken HGH," Pettitte testified. "And that it could help with recovery, and that's really all I remember about the conversation."

OUCH!

Last edited:
Then, under cross-examination from one of Clemens' lawyers, Pettitte revealed how tenuous his account might seem to the jury. Attorney Michael Attanassio asked if it came amid a "lot of huffing and puffing" that accompanies a workout.

"Yes," Pettitte answered.

Pettitte testified mostly with his hands clasped in front of him and rarely looked at Clemens, even during the lengthy delays when lawyers held conferences at the judge's bench. Clemens frequently took notes. The two haven't spoken recently because of the trial, but Pettitte nevertheless said he found it difficult to testify because he still considers Clemens a good friend.
Pettitte was then asked if Clemens' remark was made "in passing" -- as opposed to in a "focused conversation."

"I would say so," Pettitte said.

Pettitte will return to the stand on Wednesday.

Pettitte also recalled the other time he spoke with Clemens about HGH, during the media swirl surrounding earlier congressional hearings -- in 2005 -- on drug use in sports. Both were playing for the Houston Astros, and Pettitte asked Clemens at spring training what Clemens would say if asked by reporters about HGH use.

Clemens responded: "What are you talking about?" according to Pettitte, and that Pettitte must have misunderstood the 1999-2000 conversation.

"He said, 'My wife used it.' " Pettitte said.

"Obviously I was a little flustered," Pettitte said, "because I thought that he told me that he did."

New York Yankees' Andy Pettitte takes stand in Roger Clemens perjury trial - ESPN