2018-19 NCAA Football Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Did they though?

Of those ranked above them, the top three are undefeated, so they should be there.
Fourth is LSU with a loss to #9 Florida
Fifth is Michigan with a loss to #3 ND
Sixth is Texas, who I do think should be lower, as their loss was to Maryland, although looking at Marylands schedule so far, it wasnt as bad as getting blown out to Purdue. But still, I would have them lower personally.
Seventh is Georgia, only lost to #4 LSU.
At 8 is Oklahome, only loss to #6 Texas.
Nine is Florida, with a loss to #12 Kentucky.
Then at #10 is UCF which is undefeated.

So 11 looks about right to me considering who is above them and who they all lost to compared to the Purdue loss.

Hell, one could even argue that Kentucky should be ranked ahead of them. Both have a quality win (florida/penn state), but the rest of the schedules are similar to this point, and Kentuckys loss to A&M is better than OSUs loss IMO.

Who would you swap them with?
So your somewhat giving credit to the team that lost to Maryland,, but taking all credit away from at team that lost to Purdue, which is light years better than Maryland ?

Granted the Maryland loss was in week one, that gives them all year to work thier way up.

I like Texas, but don't think they are yet in the Top 10 ...
Georgia lost and dropped to what was it #8 from #2.

Oklahoma hasn't impressed me at all.

I'm not saying that the Buckeyes should be ahead of them at this point, lets see what happens over the rest of the schedule, thers gonna be a lot more shake up coming.

Also, remember, the Committee rankings may not be at all what were looking at at the moment and they are what count .

If the Committee was coming out this week, I would not be surprised to see the Buckeyes at around #14 ...

Then again, if they get thier act together and win out ... they should be right back in the thick of the conversation ...

At this point though thats a BIG IF ...
They have the games ahead of them to move back up there ...

They could win out, or they could stay the way they are and Lose out.

You make a good argument I suppose.

A lot of games to go. Alabama and Clemson wil likely finish out 1 and 2. If that's the case, LSU and Georgia are out. Notre Dame should wind up #3, but have to play USC and Florida St., which aren't given wins. Provided they don't stumble along the way, Michigan will likely be at least a top 4 team when they meet the Buckeyes. The winner of that game has a good shot at a playoff spot. Oklahoma and/or Texas would have to really start playing well to get that fourth spot.

My prediction for the end:
1. Gumps
2. Clemson
3. Irish
4. Buckeyes

I hope I'm proven wrong though on Nov 3rd. ;)
I like your thinking, but my Buckeyes have a lot to fix if they are going to get there.

Reactions: mccoyrj
You make a good argument I suppose.

A lot of games to go. Alabama and Clemson wil likely finish out 1 and 2. If that's the case, LSU and Georgia are out. Notre Dame should wind up #3, but have to play USC and Florida St., which aren't given wins. Provided they don't stumble along the way, Michigan will likely be at least a top 4 team when they meet the Buckeyes. The winner of that game has a good shot at a playoff spot. Oklahoma and/or Texas would have to really start playing well to get that fourth spot.

My prediction for the end:
1. Gumps
2. Clemson
3. Irish
4. Buckeyes

I hope I'm proven wrong though on Nov 3rd. ;)
IF LSU beats Bama, they would not drop Bama out of the top 4 as long as its a game.
Texas is playing much better, a lot will be determined by thier QB getting healthy ... Ellinger has played well, but is banged up.

YA lot of games to go. Alabama and Clemson wil likely finish out 1 and 2. If that's the case, LSU and Georgia are out.
If either of the 4 potentional SEC champions (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida) win out, they are in. As all except Alabama would only have a single loss. In that scenario, Alabama could get in as a second SEC team just like last year. But none of them is getting in with 2 losses.

I suppose we could include Kentucky in that list, but as it's Kentucky and this is football, I won't. :D

As for the ACC, Clempson is probably the only team that can get in, which they will if they win out.
Same for Notre Dame. With the number of undefeated rapidly going away, either could probably survive a single loss.

The Big Ten & Big 12 Champs will be fighting over the 4th spot, provided those teams still only have a single loss.

Reactions: mccoyrj
So your somewhat giving credit to the team that lost to Maryland,, but taking all credit away from at team that lost to Purdue, which is light years better than Maryland ?
I stated that I think they should be lower

Sixth is Texas, who I do think should be lower, as their loss was to Maryland, although looking at Marylands schedule so far, it wasnt as bad as getting blown out to Purdue.
However I do think a 34-29 loss to maryland in week one is better than a 49-20 loss to Purdue in week 8.
Plus I think Maryland is a better team than Purdue. They have three losses to a 5-3 temple, a top 5 Michigan, and a top 20 Iowa.
Purdue lost to Northwestern, Eastern Michigan, and Missouri.

I like Texas, but don't think they are yet in the Top 10 ...

I would rank a few teams above them as well, Probably OSU included, and both around the 10-13 mark.

Georgia lost and dropped to what was it #8 from #2.

Something like that, but they also lost to a far better team than Purdue.

Oklahoma hasn't impressed me at all.

I'm not saying that the Buckeyes should be ahead of them at this point, lets see what happens over the rest of the schedule, thers gonna be a lot more shake up coming.

Also, remember, the Committee rankings may not be at all what were looking at at the moment and they are what count .

If the Committee was coming out this week, I would not be surprised to see the Buckeyes at around #14 ...

Then again, if they get thier act together and win out ... they should be right back in the thick of the conversation ...

At this point though thats a BIG IF ...
They have the games ahead of them to move back up there ...

They could win out, or they could stay the way they are and Lose out

OSU is still in a good position to make it, plenty of games left, and they have some matchups that can put them right in the thick of it again.

I stated that I think they should be lower

However I do think a 34-29 loss to maryland in week one is better than a 49-20 loss to Purdue in week 8.
Plus I think Maryland is a better team than Purdue. They have three losses to a 5-3 temple, a top 5 Michigan, and a top 20 Iowa.
Purdue lost to Northwestern, Eastern Michigan, and Missouri.

I would rank a few teams above them as well, Probably OSU included, and both around the 10-13 mark.

Something like that, but they also lost to a far better team than Purdue.

OSU is still in a good position to make it, plenty of games left, and they have some matchups that can put them right in the thick of it again.
You REALLY think that Maryland is better than Purdue ????

I team in week 8 is WAY different that a team in week 1 ...
Week 1, nobody knows what they have, particularly teams that lose a bunch of players to the NFL ... those teams have to hope that freshman and 2nd year guys are ready to play ...
If you don't lose all those players every year, your team is better out of the gate as you have returning players.

Buckeyes are ok, its only the 1st loss, theres plenty of other good 1 loss teams as well.
The season doesn't end with the 1st loss ... (it usually does when you lose the 2nd game though.)

This is crazy, and Tua still hasn't played the fourth quarter, or most of any third quarter in a game.

Bama defense taking a back seat to the offense. Not something I'm used to.

ea60445dafe026ad3e5166ed3e3f117e0bb6f34f-1S_1280.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tuesday evening the Real polls come out ...
At least the ones that really count.

We have seen polls come out that look alot like the AP some years, other years the Committees poll is much different.
I have come to think that you really don't want to have the week that the polls come out to have an OFF week.
I know many are, its just not a good week to be off as they see what others do this week and you kinda get lost in the shuffle if your not playing (except for Bama anyways).

My Buckeyes are currently #11, several teams above them lost this week, I don't expect them to move up.

As for the Committee polls go ... I would be surprised to see the Buckeyes as high as the AP has them.

We'll see if Buckeye coaches actually have any answers for thier leaky defense this year that they can get fixed over the bye as well as the O line that has lost thier focus.
I can see them moving in a Freshman in at Center and move the current Center back over to Guard where he played well last year. That might help some.

They need continuity and consistency ...

They may come out and win off the Bye, but we won't know if they made any changes that have helped until they play bigger teams. (MSU and Michigan) they play Nebraska and Maryland as well yet.

The last polls before the meaningful one comes out. 10/28/18:

AP Top 25:
1. Alabama (60) 8-0
2. Clemson 8-0
3. Notre Dame 8-0
4. LSU 7-1
5. Michigan 7-1
6 Georgia 7-1
7. Oklahoma 7-1
8. Ohio State 7-1
9. UCF 7-0
10. Washington State 7-1
11. Kentucky 7-1
12. West Virginia 6-1
13. Florida 6-2
14. Penn State 6-2
15. Texas 6-2
16. Utah 6-2
17. Houston 7-1
18. Utah State 7-1
19. Iowa 6-2
20. Fresno State 7-1
21. Mississippi State 5-3
22. Syracuse 6-2
23. Virginia 6-2
24. Boston College 6-2
25. Texas A&M 5-3

Dropped from rankings: Washington 15, Oregon 19, Wisconsin 20, South Florida 21, NC State 22, Stanford 24, Appalachian State 25

Others receiving votes: Washington 120, Northwestern 86, Georgia Southern 62, Michigan State 51, Cincinnati 45, Iowa State 42, South Florida 29, Stanford 26, Oklahoma State 24, UAB 17, Oregon 13, Wisconsin 12, Auburn 7, San Diego State 6, Army 6, NC State 5, California 2, Buffalo 1

Coaches Poll:
1. Alabama (62) 8-0
2. Clemson (2) 8-0
3. Notre Dame 8-0
4. LSU 7-1
5. Michigan 7-1
5. Georgia 7-1
7. Oklahoma 7-1
8. Ohio State 7-1
9. UCF 7-0
10. West Virginia 6-1
11. Washington State 7-1
12. Kentucky 7-1
13. Penn State 6-2
14. Florida 6-2
15. Texas 6-2
16. Utah 6-2
17. Houston 7-1
18. Iowa 6-2
19. Washington 6-3
20. Utah State 7-1
21. Mississippi State 5-3
22. Virginia 6-2
23. Fresno State 7-1
24. Syracuse 6-2
25. Boston College 6-2

Dropped from rankings: Texas A&M 17, Wisconsin 19, South Florida 20, Oregon 21, NC State 22, Stanford 23, Miami 25

Others receiving votes: Texas A&M 167, Cincinnati 116, South Florida 87, Michigan State 48, Wisconsin 41, Northwestern 40, NC State 40, Miami 38, Georgia Southern 32, Oklahoma State 31, UAB 24, Auburn 21, Stanford 21, Oregon 20, San Diego State 16, Buffalo 14, Army 13, South Carolina 11, Florida Intl 6, Iowa State 6, Virginia Tech 5, Pittsburgh 3, Duke 3, Boise State 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)