2018-19 NCAA Football Thread

Auburn is a cupcake?

Their last 4 games are:
  • LSU
  • Miss St.
  • The Citadel
  • Auburn

While Citadel is an easy game, that's only 1 of the last 4.

And having an easy game as your next to last game is hardly uncommon.
This year, YES, Auburn is a cupcake.

LSU better give them a game or Tua won't have to ever play more than half a game ...
Poor guy will be exhausted in the 2nd half in the Playoff games ... If they make it.

Still too early to know how auburn will be at the end of the season. They could right the ship and be 8-3, or continue to implode.

So far, the Viles loss aside, the other two losses arent bad. State is decent, and LSU is good, so I find little in those two losses to cause a huge concern.

Still too early to know how auburn will be at the end of the season. They could right the ship and be 8-3, or continue to implode.

So far, the Viles loss aside, the other two losses arent bad. State is decent, and LSU is good, so I find little in those two losses to cause a huge concern.
When your Auburn and can't move the ball ... thats bad.

I see Auburn with potentially 5-6 losses this year.

Another one bites the dust... The unrated Purdue Spoilermakers knocked off previously unbeaten #2 Ohio State tonight, 49 - 20. We Boilermakers don't get to gloat much, so please allow me this post in this thread...

Last edited:
The Buckeyes had Purdue stopped several times, but OSU penalties gave the drive new life. Purdue had many bonehead moves in their first games, so I feel your pain. Purdue showed some good play, but I believe Ohio State comes away with the W over Purdue without the penalties.

My fellow Purdue alum and Brother-in-Law married an Ohio Sate University graduate, so I had to text him during the game to see how she was taking the score. He said, "Don't ask."

Everytime the Buckeyes seemed to get it together, the D let Purdue go right down the field and score again.

It's been a very difficult season to watch as the Buckeye D is usually very good, the Line is suppose to be the heart of the D, and they did thier job, however the LB group has been lacking for the most part for the last several seasons ...
The Secondary is mostly young, however in most seasons, one of the young guys become the shut down type of player they need ... that hasn't happened yet this year. They have been so good in the back end for so long now, you just expect it.
They lost thier long time coach to the NFL this past year, thats probably part of the issue and the fact that you lose these studs to the NFL every year, makes it all the more important to get the right guys in there from the start.

The Buckeyes have been playing without thier best Defensive player for awhile now, but they have to move on from that, the y have injuries on the D line, but every one has injuries at this point ...
The D has been looking lousy for most of the year, Urban has been talking about getting it fixed for weeks now ....
They have an off week, lets see if they get anything resolved during the bye week.

They dropped from #2 to #11 after the loss ... can they get back in the conversation, yes, IF, they improve in all areas over the rest of the season and win out.
Will that happen ? Doubtful, but well see.

They dropped the Buckeyes too far IMO
They will work thier way back up provided they win ...

I expect them to be up close by the time the week before the Michigan game comes, this makes it a bigger game in the Committees eyes.

That said, being 11 at this point means nothing seeing the Committees poll will be coming out soon and as we all know, thats the only one that matters.
The committee may see teams way different at the start even .... If the committee were using this week, I could easily see the Buckeyes at around 14.

I would love to see LSU beat Bama and Clemson lose, that would seriously shake things up ...
Then again that would just let the Oklahoma's and Washingtons back in ... Buckeyes loss may have already done that.

When Georgia lost, they went from #2 to where ?
I found it, they dropped to #8.

AP Top 25:
1. Alabama (61) 8-0
2. Clemson 7-0
3. Notre Dame 7-0
4. LSU 7-1
5. Michigan 7-1
6. Texas 6-1
7. Georgia 6-1
8. Oklahoma 6-1
9. Florida 6-1
10. UCF 7-0
11. Ohio State 7-1
12. Kentucky 6-1
13. West Virginia 5-1
14. Washington State 6-1
15. Washington 6-2
16. Texas A&M 5-2
17. Penn State 5-2
18. Iowa 6-1
19. Oregon 5-2
20. Wisconsin 5-2
21. South Florida 7-0
22. NC State 5-1
23. Utah 5-2
24. Stanford 5-2
25. Appalachian State 5-1

Dropped from rankings: Cincinnati 20, Mississippi State 22, Michigan State 24

Others receiving votes: Texas Tech 54, Utah State 50, San Diego State 48, Fresno State 35, Miami 34, Virginia 25, Houston 19, Purdue 17, Michigan State 8, Cincinnati 7, Auburn 5, Boston College 2, Mississippi State 2, UAB 1

Coaches Poll:
1 Alabama (60) 8-0
2. Clemson (2) 7-0
3. Notre Dame 7-0
4. LSU 7-1
5. Michigan 7-1
6. Georgia 6-1
7. Texas 6-1
8. Oklahoma 6-1
9. Ohio State 7-1
10. UCF 7-0
11. Florida 6-1
12. West Virginia 5-1
13. Washington 6-2
14. Kentucky 6-1
15. Washington State 6-1
16. Penn State 5-2
17. Texas A&M 5-2
18. Iowa 6-1
19. Wisconsin 5-2
20. South Florida 7-0
21. Oregon 5-2
22. NC State 5-1
23. Stanford 5-2
24. Utah 5-2
25. Miami 5-2

Dropped from rankings: Cincinnati 21, Colorado 25

Others receiving votes: Appalachian State 78, Utah State 63, San Diego State 62, Houston 30, Cincinnati 30, Fresno State 22, Mississippi State 18, Virginia 17, Auburn 13, Colorado 9, Buffalo 9, Army 8, Duke 8, Texas Tech 8, Purdue 7, UAB 6, South Carolina 5, Virginia Tech 4, Syracuse 3, Georgia Southern 2, Michigan State 1

One more crazy weekend of football till the Committee starts to do thier polls ?

These polls are basically just for discussion .... but at least were talking about them.

Reactions: mccoyrj
They dropped the Buckeyes too far IMO
Did they though?

Of those ranked above them, the top three are undefeated, so they should be there.
Fourth is LSU with a loss to #9 Florida
Fifth is Michigan with a loss to #3 ND
Sixth is Texas, who I do think should be lower, as their loss was to Maryland, although looking at Marylands schedule so far, it wasnt as bad as getting blown out to Purdue. But still, I would have them lower personally.
Seventh is Georgia, only lost to #4 LSU.
At 8 is Oklahome, only loss to #6 Texas.
Nine is Florida, with a loss to #12 Kentucky.
Then at #10 is UCF which is undefeated.

So 11 looks about right to me considering who is above them and who they all lost to compared to the Purdue loss.

Hell, one could even argue that Kentucky should be ranked ahead of them. Both have a quality win (florida/penn state), but the rest of the schedules are similar to this point, and Kentuckys loss to A&M is better than OSUs loss IMO.

Who would you swap them with?

I can see Georgia, Michigan and Texas losing again, but that doesn't get Oklahoma up to #4. Something else needs to happen, like ND stepping on it's crank.

Edit: Oops, I didn't realize that LSU and Alabama haven't played yet. There's hope.

Did they though?

Of those ranked above them, the top three are undefeated, so they should be there.
Fourth is LSU with a loss to #9 Florida
Fifth is Michigan with a loss to #3 ND
Sixth is Texas, who I do think should be lower, as their loss was to Maryland, although looking at Marylands schedule so far, it wasnt as bad as getting blown out to Purdue. But still, I would have them lower personally.
Seventh is Georgia, only lost to #4 LSU.
At 8 is Oklahome, only loss to #6 Texas.
Nine is Florida, with a loss to #12 Kentucky.
Then at #10 is UCF which is undefeated.

So 11 looks about right to me considering who is above them and who they all lost to compared to the Purdue loss.

Hell, one could even argue that Kentucky should be ranked ahead of them. Both have a quality win (florida/penn state), but the rest of the schedules are similar to this point, and Kentuckys loss to A&M is better than OSUs loss IMO.

Who would you swap them with?
You make a good argument I suppose.

A lot of games to go. Alabama and Clemson wil likely finish out 1 and 2. If that's the case, LSU and Georgia are out. Notre Dame should wind up #3, but have to play USC and Florida St., which aren't given wins. Provided they don't stumble along the way, Michigan will likely be at least a top 4 team when they meet the Buckeyes. The winner of that game has a good shot at a playoff spot. Oklahoma and/or Texas would have to really start playing well to get that fourth spot.

My prediction for the end:
1. Gumps
2. Clemson
3. Irish
4. Buckeyes

I hope I'm proven wrong though on Nov 3rd. ;)

Reactions: Ronnie-
Yeah, OSU is still in a fine spot. Several top matchups left to shuffle it which will bring them up assuming they win, and they still have the head to head with michigan coming. They still control what happens to them to a very large degree.

The worst thing that could happen to them is LSU beating Bama, leaving another one loss team with a high quality loss ahead of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)