2022-2023 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody watching ?
Rooting preference ?
I will start watching. By end of first quarter you will know the winner. I think TCU gets steamrolled! But keep it close then all the advertisers and NCAA will be happy I guess?

Gotta love the advertising that ESPN is doing for the GFP game in California .... they talk about traffic and the roads you'll need to follow, and rattle off a few roads to stay off of and what to follow and every road they followed was a number of a Georgia Player, showing him running down the field ....
Never once did they show a TCU player/number ....
How much sadder is espn going to become now that they are SEC shills ???
That's not shilling, that is advertising. TCU fanbase is a tad bit lower than Georgia. You think they'd rather have TCU than Michigan?

That's not shilling, that is advertising. TCU fanbase is a tad bit lower than Georgia. You think they'd rather have TCU than Michigan?

Exactly, the entire alumni base of TCU would likely fit in Sofi Stadium, as a small private school doesn’t have a hugh fanbase. Georgia on the other hand has a huge fanbase and travels very well. If Michigan was playing Georgia the number of fans from both sides would be similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Foxbat and SamCdbs
Congrats to South Dakota State, which won the "FCS" championship, which is a stupid name for what was once called and still should be I-AA. And boo on ABC for tossing the game, which has gotten a solid rating in the past, up against the NFL, where it was probably not watched by 15 people outside of the Dakotas. They could have played it on Saturday.

Reactions: osu1991 and Derwin0
Exactly, the entire alumni base of TCU would likely fit in Sofi Stadium, as a small private school doesn’t have a hugh fanbase. Georgia on the other hand has a huge fanbase and travels very well. If Michigan was playing Georgia the number of fans from both sides would be similar.

If this game were in cold weather they would both be losing, you think?

Just kidding Jimbo. ;)

Georgia is making it look about as I expected Michigan would have last week.

• Haha
Reactions: SamCdbs
Well, it IS football, but this is a fairly boring game (although I’m sure the Georgie fans love how lopsided the game has been.)

Purdue could have blown this game as well as TCU is doing.

And who found thought the Notre Dame game turned out to be the better Bowl game? ;) ;) ;)

Honestly I think this shows that decent teams that don’t play the same competitive schedules or in the same conferences can get up for a game when they have to. Tcu did that against Michigan. Osu did it against Georgia.

That same drive usually doesn’t hold up though. It’s exhausting if they have to extend and they just don’t have a deep enough tank.

I’m not sure this expanded playoff will change anything on who is going to keep winning.

Honestly I think this shows that decent teams that don’t play the same competitive schedules or in the same conferences can get up for a game when they have to. Tcu did that against Michigan. Osu did it against Georgia.

That same drive usually doesn’t hold up though. It’s exhausting if they have to extend and they just don’t have a deep enough tank.

I’m not sure this expanded playoff will change anything on who is going to keep winning.
The expanded Playoff will change nothing, just give more people the chance to try ....

I expect Georgia, Bama, Ohio State, maybe Michigan if they continue the path they are on currently and a few others to continue to be on top of the world.

Then again, you have Harbaugh talking about leaving each year has to hurt thier recruiting.

Lets hope SOMEONE/Whoever gets some rules for the NIL and Transfer Portal before it goes any further.

Thank was embarrassing to watch, but Go Dawgs!!!

Shows what the long layoff does, makes good teams rusty, after having knocked the kinks out, Georgia was running on all cylinders last night.

Reactions: Foxbat
Thank was embarrassing to watch, but Go Dawgs!!!

Shows what the long layoff does, makes good teams rusty, after having knocked the kinks out, Georgia was running on all cylinders last night.

Slightly different teams were playing between the 2 weeks.

My guess, is Ohio State would have also won last night, about 45-21.

Hell, TTUN may have won the game last night against TCU.

Feel bad for TCU, just out matched. With a playoff system this can still happen. But I think the stronger teams will be on top more often than not.

Reactions: Jimbo
What we saw last night was a fundamental flaw in the playoff system exposed. It presupposes that all five of the so-called "power 5" conferences are the same. They are not. The current Big 12 (sic) is just not up to the standards of the other four. And, when Texas and Oklahoma move up to the SEC, this becomes yet more obvious. TCU is a glorified Mountain West program which had a good year against the inferior competition that the Big 12 (sic) provides, in a year where the only two major programs in that league were having off-years.

The only good thing about playoff expansion is that the Big 12 3.0 champion and whichever of the "group of five" (AAC most years, Sun Belt and Mountain West occasionally) will be eliminated long before the finals. Mostly we are going to see the same 20 teams in the playoffs, over and over again, and the same 5 or so teams in the finals, over and over again.

What we saw last night was a fundamental flaw in the playoff system exposed.
Seeing Georgia was much better than most other teams, no... it didn't. Georgia was on a level of their own this year.
It presupposes that all five of the so-called "power 5" conferences are the same. They are not. The current Big 12 (sic) is just not up to the standards of the other four. And, when Texas and Oklahoma move up to the SEC, this becomes yet more obvious. TCU is a glorified Mountain West program which had a good year against the inferior competition that the Big 12 (sic) provides, in a year where the only two major programs in that league were having off-years.
And in a playoff, the "top" four teams played each other... and there isn't too much question which team is the best this year. Probably could have done that without the playoff this year, but the playoff made it clear, Georgia beat OSU then TCU (who EARNED their shot by beating Michigan). Did TCU belong in the final? Well, if having just one loss and having beat another top four team the previous week, doesn't qualify them... why are we even playing games? I don't recall people calling to the end the NFL playoffs after the Bears manhandled an upstart Patriots team in Super Bowl XX.
The only good thing about playoff expansion is that the Big 12 3.0 champion and whichever of the "group of five" (AAC most years, Sun Belt and Mountain West occasionally) will be eliminated long before the finals. Mostly we are going to see the same 20 teams in the playoffs, over and over again, and the same 5 or so teams in the finals, over and over again.
Yeah... no kidding. There will be blowouts, upsets, and some shifting up top. But there will be a winner that is undisputed. That is the point.

Reactions: Derwin0
The expanded Playoff will change nothing, just give more people the chance to try ....
It will make the top teams have to prove the deserve to win a title instead of waltzing into a short playoff set up based on the records of an uncompetitive schedule.

Michigan failed. Teams with one loss against a good program will still have a shot. That is what will change! Fans of OSU, Alabama, and the other legacy programs won't be able to make excuses anymore (other than refs) as to why they didn't win.

Reactions: AZ. and Derwin0
279756e388ac4ce5599d03f30bb6e11a.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Foxbat
Sound like many dont remember how flawed the National Championship was years ago? Now I remember many times more than one undefeated team but one of them didnt score enough point so a different team would win it. Im much happier with any type of playoff! Imagine a NFL season that the winner wouldnt go head to head with a better team?

Reactions: Derwin0
The analogy to the NFL misses the point. The NFL teams are all trying to be on the same level. It is a league of equals. Some are run better than others, but they all have the same resources.

We have now seen two years in a row of what inclusion of mid-major programs does to the playoffs. First the AAC and now the Big 12 (sic). These are not major conferences. The competition there is not the same level. These teams belonged in something like the Gator Bowl or the Independence Bowl or whatnot. Perhaps they could even win and like UCF proclaim themselves "national champion".

With the new format, the only benefit is that these teams from these mid-majors will get a token slot and be eliminated and we can see a good game at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.