2022-2023 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is that college games are taking longer than ESPN/Fox want them to. The average is up to 3 h, 22 m. That is 4 m more than just five years ago, and more than 30 minutes longer than in the mid-90s.

The networks don't need that. They want the sport to fit in the 3 hour window. "The next game will start on ESPNEWS", or its much worse version "The next game will start on the internet", is not ideal when the networks have neat 3 hour windows for each game, and fans of the next game sitting waiting for the next game to show up on the channel it is supposed to be on.

This is not unsimilar to what has been done in pro baseball. The ratings numbers are too soon to tell, but cutting out about 25 minutes of d*** and b*** scratching and batting glove and armor readjusting (strange the players before this generation just wore a helmet, no need for all this football like armor) seems to be almost universally liked by fans and the baseball media. The networks, with the next show to go to, really like it.
I can cut out 10 minutes each for the games very easily ....

Play the game and not a Commercial every other down.
Start counting the Time that Commercials play, when players are on the field ...

As for baseball, I have been watching the MLB games and its not as bad as I thought it might be .... until a guy gets called out that effects a game, without a play having happened.

They need to adjust thier time clock as well ... Pitcher has 15 seconds to throw the pitch, but he Can't pitch before 8 seconds remain ??? in case the batter isn't looking ???? WTH

If your in the box, be ready.

Actually, just the opposite. The commercials are based on events, not on time. Events are like change of possession, end of quarter, time out, etc. There are just as many of those in a fast game as in a slow game. When a game carries over to another time slot, they lose the commercial breaks they would have gotten in the new time slot. The networks want faster games.

This has nothing to do with going to see a game in person. The stadium would love to have you there for 5 or 6 hours, buying food and drink and such. This is about TV.
I disagree some ...

They have WAY too many commercials ...
3 commercials (or more) to start the day off, then the announcers talk a bit more BEFORE the game even starts, then more commercials ...

Back in the day, the game may have started at 8 pm, the actual game started by 8:07 ....not 8:20 or 8:40 ....

We don't need Concerts before a game ... sure, have it done with BEFORE the 8pm kickoff (8:07).
Remember, its all about the time slot ... its the 8-11 (or was) time slot, wanting to have it over in time for the local news ... originally.

Now its a 12:15 end for a probably 730 game time.

Before every 4th down play we have a commercial, then after the punt, another .....and another and another.

I disagree some ...

They have WAY too many commercials ...
3 commercials (or more) to start the day off, then the announcers talk a bit more BEFORE the game even starts, then more commercials ...

Back in the day, the game may have started at 8 pm, the actual game started by 8:07 ....not 8:20 or 8:40 ....

We don't need Concerts before a game ... sure, have it done with BEFORE the 8pm kickoff (8:07).
Remember, its all about the time slot ... its the 8-11 (or was) time slot, wanting to have it over in time for the local news ... originally.

Now its a 12:15 end for a probably 730 game time.

Before every 4th down play we have a commercial, then after the punt, another .....and another and another.
Commercials are sold in time slots. They are pre planned during selected points of the game. Those commercials will happen no matter how short or long a game goes.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Commercials are sold in time slots. They are pre planned during selected points of the game. Those commercials will happen no matter how short or long a game goes.
Then they can officially blame the commercial people for the length of games ... you just pointed out that they are there regardless.

I don't agree with that either ... don't sell as many commercials then, They ARE the major reason games last as long as they do.

Instead of 3+ minutes each time a commercial comes on, make them 2 minutes max ... that would save a TON of time.

Back to baseball for a minute :

The Yankee games will NEVER be under 3:30-4 hours, especially when they play the Red Sox or the Astros ...

I don't want to see major games RUSHED through.

Then they can officially blame the commercial people for the length of games ... you just pointed out that they are there regardless.

I don't agree with that either ... don't sell as many commercials then, They ARE the major reason games last as long as they do.

Instead of 3+ minutes each time a commercial comes on, make them 2 minutes max ... that would save a TON of time.

Back to baseball for a minute :

The Yankee games will NEVER be under 3:30-4 hours, especially when they play the Red Sox or the Astros ...

I don't want to see major games RUSHED through.
Blame the BCS for extortion then. These games have to be paid for somehow when ESPN spent billions on the rights.

Reactions: Derwin0
You want the colleges to pay ESPN?
No .... the Opps, I see what happened ... when I said Providers, I meant those broadcasting, not the schools.

Espn is doing its best to ruin a good game, over saturation IS a Real thing ...
The NFL should look at that too.

No .... the Opps, I see what happened ... when I said Providers, I meant those broadcasting, not the schools.

Espn is doing its best to ruin a good game, over saturation IS a Real thing ...
The NFL should look at that too.
There are too many D1 teams and they all want TV time. This is a problem with the college sports system not ESPN

What is it with people going to Sporting Events ....
Now the NCAA Football is deciding it takes too long to play ....
You have a clock, you know how long a typical game takes, if you don't have time for it, Don't Go.

Anything to Ruin a Great game.

They are playing Follow the Leader, MLB just did it, now College Football is .... can't wait till the NFL does it.

May as well play with a running clock thru out the game, everyone has Other places they need to be ....

If you want to keep the Clock Running ....
Run the Damn BALL.
Not really a big deal, NFL has been running the clock on 1st down for a couple decades. I'm surprised the NCAA didn't follow suit years ago.

The issue is that college games are taking longer than ESPN/Fox want them to. The average is up to 3 h, 22 m. That is 4 m more than just five years ago, and more than 30 minutes longer than in the mid-90s.
TV's the reason they take so long. I was in school back before every game was televised, and the run time between televised and non-televised games was enormous due to tv timeouts (especially as all timeouts, except injury, were only 30 sec's in non-televised games).

Reactions: Jimbo and AZ.
Not really a big deal, NFL has been running the clock on 1st down for a couple decades. I'm surprised the NCAA didn't follow suit years ago.
Doesn't the clock stop in the NFL when a completed pass is made as well as if you step out of bounds ?

Doesn't the clock stop in the NFL when a completed pass is made as well as if you step out of bounds ?
No. The trouble sports have is that it isn't 1985 or earlier. Back in the day, the event was the day! So several extra minutes wasn't an issue.

That is no longer the case except in the NFL, college football towns, and Minnesota for Ice Hockey. So there is an attempt to make the games quicker. The NHL managed this over a decade ago by having no breaks in the period until 6 minutes into it, and then there are only three breaks per period. OT have zero. This took a good deal of time out of the presentation length, while also getting buy in from the viewer to get into the game. Nothing was lost in the experience except for blown time.

No. The trouble sports have is that it isn't 1985 or earlier. Back in the day, the event was the day! So several extra minutes wasn't an issue.

That is no longer the case except in the NFL, college football towns, and Minnesota for Ice Hockey. So there is an attempt to make the games quicker. The NHL managed this over a decade ago by having no breaks in the period until 6 minutes into it, and then there are only three breaks per period. OT have zero. This took a good deal of time out of the presentation length, while also getting buy in from the viewer to get into the game. Nothing was lost in the experience except for blown time.
Interesting, I didn't know that about the NHL ... The NHL was one of the Sports I cut out of my Sport time about 15 years ago.

You are right, back in the day, the game WAS the event ...
I believe it still that way if your a major team.

Don't know why an extra 15 minutes in a day makes ANY difference if your actually there to SEE the game.

Again, If you can't afford another 15 minutes, don't go.

Baseball has no time clock, well it didn't use to ...
You can't tell me when the Red Sox and Yankees or the Yankees and Astros play or the Dodgers play, that people are grumbling about how long the games are taking .... Unless your not a fan of any of them.
Those team when they play one another, Grind out each at bat as if its the one that decides the game.

When the Astros and Yankees play in the Playoffs again, will people Really be complaing about the length of the game, or is it all the Others that are not happy about it ...

If you took the times of Those games out of the MLB time clock, you'd probably find that the avg MLB game is VERY close to what they wanted for a time frame ....

No, the clock is stopped on an incomplete pass, in both the NFL and NCAA. As for a player going out of bounds with the ball, the clock stops in the NCAA, but the NFL altered that rule a couple years ago to where it doesn't stop if the ball carrier runs out of bounds on his own as opposed to being pushed/forced out of bound by the defense (except for the last 2 minutes of the first half, and last 5 minutes of the game).

The rule being changed in the NCAA is when the clock is stopped upon a team getting a 1st down (to allow the officials to move the chains). The NFL got rid of that rule back in 1990, the NCAA is finally catching up.

Same thing with the new NCAA rule that carries over a penalty from the 1st & 3rd quarters to the next quarter (instead of a deadclock play), the NFL has been doing that for a long time.

As for the 3rd rule being changed, that of banning back-to-back time outs (usually to ice a kicker), the NFL also bans that.

None of the new NCAA rules are a new thing and have been used by the NFL for decades.

Last edited:
Interesting, I didn't know that about the NHL ... The NHL was one of the Sports I cut out of my Sport time about 15 years ago.

You are right, back in the day, the game WAS the event ...
I believe it still that way if your a major team.

Don't know why an extra 15 minutes in a day makes ANY difference if your actually there to SEE the game.
Percentages. People go through red lights to save 60 seconds.
Again, If you can't afford another 15 minutes, don't go.
15 minutes at the game isn't quite the deal, as travel comes into play. It is the viewer where it is more applicable.
Baseball has no time clock, well it didn't use to ...
And the shortstop used to play in the shallow outfield (hence short stop)... there was no DH... fields were larger... relief pitching was in case a pitcher was killed by a wayward asteroid...

The NHL used to not have forward passing! The Oilers required the two line offsides to be invented. And spearing started to be frown upon at one point.

In motor racing, drivers dying was almost whimsical (1910's to 1940's).

Football... think that game hasn't changed? They used to pile drive their heads into other plays (breaking necks). Passing, receiving, hitting have all changed quite a bit with time.

Basketball, the shot clock, three-pt line, the three-pt'er becoming hacked, someone other than Boston winning a title.

Life is impermeant, so are sports.
You can't tell me when the Red Sox and Yankees or the Yankees and Astros play or the Dodgers play, that people are grumbling about how long the games are taking .... Unless your not a fan of any of them.
Those team when they play one another, Grind out each at bat as if its the one that decides the game.
Who cares about the Astros? Boston v NY is the only rivalry that exists after Dem Bums moved to LA.
When the Astros and Yankees play in the Playoffs again, will people Really be complaing about the length of the game, or is it all the Others that are not happy about it ...
Playoffs are playoffs and mean something, so added time isn't that big of a deal... though the added time to the Super Bowl halftime show is getting a bit much. But in a regular season game, which effectively means nothing... time becomes more important. It isn't like the European Football where the final places at the end of the season mean something specific and the schedule is 100% even across all teams.

One reason why I like the AFL. No breaks during game play. Commercials are only between quarters.
So, how do they pay to be on TV without Commercial breaks thruout ?

I like the idea of no commercials during the quarters, but don't see it as practical.

Games I've gone to you often find Fans sitting, waiting about 3-5 minutes waiting for Commercial breaks to end ... thus dead time is also not good for the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.