2022-2023 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s almost time to find out if Purdue has a Football Team this year…
Well, I can’t say I was surprised at the outcome of last night’s game, but I saw enough to give me hopes for a winning season.

Some excellent games this weekend, kinda surprised no one has talked about them.

The Pitt game was great, penn state, the ending to that LSU game was among the best I’ve seen.

And Old Dominion beating Va Tech, again, well that was just funny as well. The Hokies are definitely not what they used to be.

I'm baffled how Clemson after thier very poor performance in my opinion, stayed at 4 or dropped 1 spot to 5 ....

Meanwhile Notre Dame played exceptional defense and a hell of a game, drops 3-4 spots.

Win or lose Ohio State wasn't staying at #2, any chance they had to move Georgia up would be done and Alabama, would stay at #1 until they lose, regardless of how other teams play behind them.

In my opinion going INTO the season opener, the rankings should have been Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama ....
Unfortunately Alabama gets the top spot every year regardless.

After the first week, my ranking would be #1 Georgia, can't dispute that at all, they played a ranked team in Oregon at #11 and crushed them.
Ohio State would be #2, they beat a VERY Tough Notre Dame defense, they held the Buckeyes Offense down until the 4th quarter . (they did play the majority of the game without thier Top Recvr)(but should have done more with the rest)
Buckeyes played the toughest opponent anyone played and came away with a win ...

#3 goes to Alabama, they have to be up there somewhere, even though the local High School team could have beat thier opponent ...

#4 goes to Notre Dame, they played someone and played very well, in a losing effort.

Other thoughts ....

How does Xichigan move up 4 spots while playing NO ONE.

How does Clemson NOT drop about 10 spots with that pathetic performance ???
They dropped 1 spot in one poll and stayed the same at #4 in the other.

How was Clemson in the top 5 to Start the Season in the first place ?

Ending thought ... seeing how others moved, some did some didn't ...
Next week when Ohio State plays No Body, much like Bama did this week and Georgia (they did play someone, just didn't seem like it (Oregon)) ... and the Buckeye win convincingly, will they move back up past Bama or Georgia ...

Bama plays unranked Texas, yes that Texas that says "We are Back", every year and then does nothing.

And Georgia plays Samford, yes, thats Samford, not STANFORD .....

This Might be interesting, with a solid Win, the Buckeyes May just move back ahead of Georgia .... possibly.
Whats good for one, should be good for the other.

This week, Bama plays the toughest team of the three ... so ... Bama stays at #1 next week ...
Georgia and Ohio State could flip back and forth this year depending on the week.

Well see.

Some excellent games this weekend, kinda surprised no one has talked about them.

The Pitt game was great, penn state, the ending to that LSU game was among the best I’ve seen.

And Old Dominion beating Va Tech, again, well that was just funny as well. The Hokies are definitely not what they used to be.
FSU coach pretty much lost that game against LSU .....
Ball inside the 5 and calls a pitch play to the RB, when they should have not done anything like that ... maybe qb roll around the end ... I don't think there was more than a minute left on the clock or slightly more .... couldn't they have knelt down on the ball and killed the clock.

Then again, who would have thought they would have let LSU walk right down the field to get that close to begin with.

Prevent Defense does just that, prevents you from winning.

Last edited:
No love for Iowa v South Dakota St? It was a clinic. 286 total yards of combined offense! 90 yards combined rushing yards.

Iowa scored more points on Defense than on Offense and won 7-3. I'd need to double check, but I think South Dakota State might have had the punter punting from the end zone near as many times as points Iowa scored.

The best stat? 21 punts... and only 7 of them had returns (3 touchbacks).

No love for Iowa v South Dakota St? It was a clinic. 286 total yards of combined offense! 90 yards combined rushing yards.

Iowa scored more points on Defense than on Offense and won 7-3. I'd need to double check, but I think South Dakota State might have had the punter punting from the end zone near as many times as points Iowa scored.

The best stat? 21 punts... and only 7 of them had returns (3 touchbacks).
Yup,
How often do you get 2 Safeties and a FG ..... and Win ...:eeek

Yup,
How often do you get 2 Safeties and a FG ..... and Win ...:eeek
It is worse than it looks too. Iowa likely averaged starting field position near mid field for the entire game. And could not move the ball against South Dakota St.

Wait'll you see how far they drop this week! Marshall? Marshall!? o_O
Your right, talk about a let down game ... Wow.

Its hard to be up for Every game on the schedule ...
However, with all the upset type games this week, SHOULD make Ohio State Aware of the potential for a let down next week, they took care of business today as they should have.

We are seeing in the Sun Belt upsets is the new transfer without penalty deal in action. Marshall had, for example, 45 new players, half of them ex “power 5” players.

Unfortunately, we will not get to see if Marshall is really any good, or if Notre Dame is really just bad, as Notre Dame play a very light schedule from here on, with only 2 or 3 exceptions. They can be an over-rated 10th or so by bowl time and lose to SEC#4 in the Gator or something like that.

Nebraska still thinks Tom Osborne is walking through that door. He isn’t. He is 90 and all of the nutritional and training innovations he invented have been adopted by everyone. It is one of the smallest states to have a “power 5” school, and not really a destination for anybody nor a center of wealth. Get over yourselves or become Minnesota or such like, forever.

Kentucky is the real deal.

North Carolina is the worst 3 win team. They should be 0-3. They won’t win 8 games.

We are seeing in the Sun Belt upsets is the new transfer without penalty deal in action. Marshall had, for example, 45 new players, half of them ex “power 5” players.

Unfortunately, we will not get to see if Marshall is really any good, or if Notre Dame is really just bad, as Notre Dame play a very light schedule from here on, with only 2 or 3 exceptions. They can be an over-rated 10th or so by bowl time and lose to SEC#4 in the Gator or something like that.

Nebraska still thinks Tom Osborne is walking through that door. He isn’t. He is 90 and all of the nutritional and training innovations he invented have been adopted by everyone. It is one of the smallest states to have a “power 5” school, and not really a destination for anybody nor a center of wealth. Get over yourselves or become Minnesota or such like, forever.

Kentucky is the real deal.

North Carolina is the worst 3 win team. They should be 0-3. They won’t win 8 games.
Kentucky is the real deal ????
At the moment maybe ... were only at game 3.
We won't know anything about them either, till they play another team ... thier schedule looks pretty easy till they get to Georgia.

The Boilers are their own worse enemy…:shh

Status
Not open for further replies.