2022-2023 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Cincy lost a lot from last year, but they were a Top 5 team (made the playoffs) but they seem to be getting No Respect at all from THIS poll ... coming in at #22.

Then again, its the Coaches Poll and most Coaches don't vote in it.
Happens all the time. Schools get ranked by reputation alone, just look at how many times USC & Texas have started with high rankings only to quickly fall out and barely finish .500.

Happens all the time. Schools get ranked by reputation alone, just look at how many times USC & Texas have started with high rankings only to quickly fall out and barely finish .500.
Mark Packer found a stat a while back, or borrowed it ...
There will be a team in the original Top 10 that will end up outside of the Top 20 (maybe 25, don't remember) and a team outside of the Top 20 that will end up in the Top 10 ...
Seems to happen regularly.

Mark Packer found a stat a while back, or borrowed it ...
There will be a team in the original Top 10 that will end up outside of the Top 20 (maybe 25, don't remember) and a team outside of the Top 20 that will end up in the Top 10 ...
Seems to happen regularly.
Yes, but those 2 teams I mentioned will get ranked regularly after having losing seasons to only have another losing season.

Early rankings are nothing more than reputation.

Guy I know is from Alabama (Auburn grad). He went to HS with the core group on SEC Shorts. Started out as just for fun, they went “viral” and now have sponsors and get money from Feinbaum and actually make money off it.

Considering they have a video out each week, usually no later than early Monday, and they really cannot even wright stuff until after the games are over, they do impressive work.

I hope they do something on the Kentucky on Kentucky violence.

Cha-ching!!!

The Big Ten's new $7 billion media rights deal will string the conference's top football games across three major networks each week, creating an NFL-style television schedule on Saturdays.

The Big Ten announced Thursday it has reached seven-year agreements with Fox, CBS and NBC to share the rights to the conference's football and basketball games.

The deals go into effect in 2023, expire in 2030 and eventually will allow the conference's soon-to-be 16 member universities to share more than $1 billion per year, a person familiar with the terms told The Associated Press.

Reactions: AZ. and Jimbo
Finally the drought is over, college football begins on Saturday.

oh-thank-god-college-football-is-back.jpg

I do not see what Oregon brings to the table. Four million residents, loyalties split between two I-A schools. Lots of people that are not in the typical sports watcher demographic. Lots of move-ins with no local localities.

I do not see what Oregon brings to the table. Four million residents, loyalties split between two I-A schools. Lots of people that are not in the typical sports watcher demographic. Lots of move-ins with no local localities.
Same here. Though it's telling that it was Oregon that initiated the talks and not the Big Ten. So the conference could just be humoring them.

Reactions: SamCdbs
I think Oregon and Washington were somewhat discussed when the USC and UCLA deals went down.

I think both are ready, but I think that the Big Ten is waiting to see what Notre Dame decides to do first.

I think Oregon and Washington were somewhat discussed when the USC and UCLA deals went down.

I think both are ready, but I think that the Big Ten is waiting to see what Notre Dame decides to do first.
ND won't do anything until the NBC deal is done. Even then they might still try to make money on their own.

They'll be waiting for a long time, as Notre Dame is under contract to not join any conference (except the ACC) until 2036 or else they owe the ACC $100 million.

Reactions: SamCdbs
ND won't do anything until the NBC deal is done. Even then they might still try to make money on their own.
Agreed, they'll want to see how much they get on their own, which could be a good chunk if they play NBC against CBS, Fox, and ABC/ESPN. Once they see what that dollar figure will be, they'll make the decision to join the ACC, leave the ACC (paying a hefty penalty) and join the Big Ten, or stay pat.

They'll be waiting for a long time, as Notre Dame is under contract to not join any conference (except the ACC) until 2036 or else they owe the ACC $100 million.
The ACC would technically need to exist that far out though.

Reactions: Jimbo
If they do, it will be MUCH less than being In the conference.
They'll pay to get out IF they want out, or the conference will pay part of it.

ND has no rules, they do whatever they want.

The ACC would technically need to exist that far out though.
With all 15 teams under the same grant of rights, it probably will exist.

There aren't enough teams wanted by the Big Ten or SEC to have enough to dissolve the conference. And it doesn't want to merge with the Pac 12 or Big XII, so nothing to make it dissolve, at least not with the grant of rights and ESPN contracts in place..

If they do, it will be MUCH less than being In the conference.
yes and no. They get a portion of the ACC revenues for everything but football, and keep football money all to themselves. And all they need is for the football portion to be close to the team shares of a conference to come out ahead.
ND has no rules, they do whatever they want.
How so? No rule says a team has to join a conference. If you need to blame someone, blame the Big Ten for denying them entry due to being a catholic school.

IMHO,

- It is important to understand that for the entire time, ND could have made more money from a conference TV deal than it makes from NBC. Its purpose with NBC was not to make the most money, it was to insure its games were on, nationwide, every week. With EVERYBODY’S games on, nationwide, every week and the line between OTA and cable about gone times may change.

- I think we end up with the ACC surviving due to the “grant of rights”.

- IF the Big 10 goes yet bigger, the SEC would want to match. With the ACC (Clemson, maybe VPI, maybe the two Florida schools) locked up for more than a decade, there really is nobody out there of SEC quality to take.

Reactions: Derwin0
Status
Not open for further replies.