2022-2023 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
please remember that I’m feverish…

Regarding Ohio State as the Big Ten Championship heir-apparent, isn’t that what the Big Ten Championship Game is supposed to determine? If Purdue pulls off the upset, aren’t they the Big Ten Champions? If not, then what’s the freakin’ point of having a Championship Game (obviously money)?

Purdue should be the Big Ten Champion runner-up, not OSU.
Purdue would be the BT Champ If they win ...

This is a reason conferences need to get rid of Divisions.

Purdue has 4 losses over all, 3 in the BT

If we were in division play, they would be in 4th place, behind the East teams Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State.

So, who do you really want getting in the playoffs ?

But, if they do beat Michigan, it gives you something to think about.

They ARE Nicknamed the Spoilermakers after all.

Purdue vs Tulane ???

Reactions: Foxbat and AZ.
You forget that the highest 4 conference champions get a bye. So the lowest seed, in this case Tulane (not Temple) would play at #5 Ohio State.

Without the guarantee of 6 conference champions, they would never have gotten the approval of all the conferences.

Personally I think it should have been expanded to 16 conferences with 8 conference champions.
Personally, I wouldn't have gone past the Top 8 ... but thats just me, it going to eventually end up with anyone in the Top 25 is in, unfortunately.

Regardless, the #5 Team would whip them as well.

Sorry Tulane ... Temple had a team for a few minutes :)

If they win their division and then the championship game, they are the champion and Michigan is the runner up. Ohio State is nothing because they failed to win their division and make it to the championship game.
Correct ...

I'm gonna take a guess and say that when its all said and done, the Buckeyes will end up playing Alabama this year, which would make an interesting match up for a Non Playoff game.

Purdue has 4 losses over all, 3 in the BT

If we were in division play, they would be in 4th place, behind the East teams Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State.
Big XII already has and the Pac12 and ACC are getting rid of divisions next year, with rumors that the SEC will follow.

The reason they split into division in the first place were the old rules about allowing a conference championship game, since with 12 teams it's impossible to play everyone in a round robin.

With no division though, a conference championship game is superfluous, as odds are good that the top 2 teams have already played one another, and it's likely 1 has a better record than the other, but there's no way conferences will get rid of that money maker now.

Yes, in fact, getting rid of the games would help even more! That way OSU is just handed a spot into the playoff because they are OSU?

Divisions exist today because the Cartels have gotten obese! They are too big to play the entire conference now... or at least not without extending the season to allow for the cream puff gate cash cow games.

Certainly one option could be to split the obese cartels and both top teams make it to the playoff. No more "conference championship". Of course, people would whine about that too. So Michigan and Purdue are in. This would apply to the SEC, Big Ten, and ACC. This allows for six more slots, Pac-12 (well, will that still be a conference?), Big-12, AAC, etc...

Would it be fair? Well, no. But college football isn't about parity or fairness, just gate, concessions, school pride, and lots of TV money.

The true solution is a Premier Football division, Europe-style. Top 12 teams in the nation play each other, top two play for title. Bottom four teams drop, and the top four teams in Division I move into the Premier division. This would easily decide who is the best, while providing some stability for the cartels to ensure a massive presence in the cash cow Premier setup.

Reactions: Foxbat
Yes, in fact, getting rid of the games would help even more! That way OSU is just handed a spot into the playoff because they are OSU?

Divisions exist today because the Cartels have gotten obese! They are too big to play the entire conference now... or at least not without extending the season to allow for the cream puff gate cash cow games.

Certainly one option could be to split the obese cartels and both top teams make it to the playoff. No more "conference championship". Of course, people would whine about that too. So Michigan and Purdue are in. This would apply to the SEC, Big Ten, and ACC. This allows for six more slots, Pac-12 (well, will that still be a conference?), Big-12, AAC, etc...

Would it be fair? Well, no. But college football isn't about parity or fairness, just gate, concessions, school pride, and lots of TV money.

The true solution is a Premier Football division, Europe-style. Top 12 teams in the nation play each other, top two play for title. Bottom four teams drop, and the top four teams in Division I move into the Premier division. This would easily decide who is the best, while providing some stability for the cartels to ensure a massive presence in the cash cow Premier setup.
Won't happen as the NCAA has no control over Conference membership due to anti-trust.

NCAA doesn't need control. The Cartels run College Football, they can make it happen, if they wanted to.

And UTAH handles USC rather easily from the start of the 2nd quarter on ....
USC Caleb Williams played hurt, so that took away some of the USC offense.
Utah defense gave up some HUGE plays, but played very well the rest of the time.
USC Tackling was atrocious ....
47-24 Utah

Let the CCG weekend continue ...

This should be a wake up call to all those that Should win tomorrow..... TCU, TTUN, Georgia

By 4 pm tomorrow, you Bama fans should know if your making the playoff ...

Reactions: AZ.
And UTAH handles USC rather easily from the start of the 2nd quarter on ....
USC Caleb Williams played hurt, so that took away some of the USC offense.
Utah defense gave up some HUGE plays, but played very well the rest of the time.
USC Tackling was atrocious ....
47-24 Utah

Let the CCG weekend continue ...

This should be a wake up call to all those that Should win tomorrow..... TCU, TTUN, Georgia

By 4 pm tomorrow, you Bama fans should know if your making the playoff ...
I enjoyed watching USC go down in flames. How in the world the jumped from 6 to 4 was beyond my grasp? A #6 beats a #18 and jumps 2 positions? 2 undefeated teams ranked 2 and 3 the loser should not have been treated so harshly? IMO Ohio State should have been #4......Lets see what TCU and Michigan do today. I know what every Bama fans want to happen today!

I enjoyed watching USC go down in flames. How in the world the jumped from 6 to 4 was beyond my grasp? A #6 beats a #18 and jumps 2 positions? 2 undefeated teams ranked 2 and 3 the loser should not have been treated so harshly? IMO Ohio State should have been #4......Lets see what TCU and Michigan do today. I know what every Bama fans want to happen today!
There is no way Ohio State should have been #4 or #5 after Michigan destroyed them, #6 at best.

Instant Review Championship on Fox right now. 14 minutes of game time and almost that much in Official Reviews.

I really wanted the game to be called after the Boilers went up 10-7, but that first half touchdown was their one and only. Michigan played a great game in the second half, and the Boilers spoiled only themselves with two stoopid penalties and the two interceptions.

At least it was closer than the Michigan v. OSU game, right?

Reactions: Derwin0
I really wanted the game to be called after the Boilers went up 10-7, but that first half touchdown was their one and only. Michigan played a great game in the second half, and the Boilers spoiled only themselves with two stoopid penalties and the two interceptions.

At least it was closer than the Michigan v. OSU game, right?
By 1 point ....
Stupid choices by the Boilermakers to play the whole 2nd half going for Field Goals instead of 1st downs and TD's.

Michigan came out to start the 2nd half went down and scored 14 quick points, while Purdue kept driving down the field and Kicked FG's

Reactions: Foxbat
Well do they let a 2 lose team to the big dance for the first time ever? They screwed up last week will they double down again?

My guess for how the final 4 will playout at noon.

1 - Georgia (no doubt about that one)
2 - Michigan (ditto)
3 - TCU (committee won't let a 2 loss team in as long as 1 loss P5 teams are avialable)
4 - Ohio State (to prevent a conference rematch in the first round)

Reactions: AZ. and Foxbat

2 - Michigan (ditto)
3 - TCU (committee won't let a 2 loss team in as long as 1 loss P5 teams are avialable)
This seems to be the consensus.

2 - Michigan (ditto)
Thats how I see it. But I saw it that way last week also

And the rankings are out:

1 - Georgia
2 - Michigan
3 - TCU
4 - Ohio State

5 - Alabama
6 - Tennessee

Peach Bowl (Atlanta) - Georgia vs. Ohio State
Fiesta Bowl (Phoenix) - Michigan vs. TCU

Status
Not open for further replies.